How to get the CM180i Total Power to align with my electrical meter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to get the CM180i Total Power to align with my electrical meter

To increase the accuracy of the readings I get from the plugin, i'm trying to calibrate the CM180i total power to my meter. I understand Total power for the CM180i is based on 230V. I'm using the CM180 in the US on a 120V system.

I initially started with a Divisor of 230/120 to adjust the Total Power. However, the plugin Total Power (kWh) continued to climb faster than the meter.

so I adjusted the Divisor to 230/122, but the plugin Total Power is still increasing faster than the meter.

is there a better way to figure out how to get the plugin to align with my meter readings?
    Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5
    Hardware: Insteon Serial PLM | AD2USB for Vista Alarm | HAI Omnistat2 | 1-Wire HA7E | RFXrec433 | Dahua Cameras | LiftMaster Internet Gateway | Tuya Smart Plugs
    Plugins: Insteon (mine) | Vista Alarm (mine) | Omnistat 3 | Ultra1Wire3 | RFXCOM | HS MyQ | BLRadar | BLDenon | Tuya | Jon00 Charting | Jon00 Links
    Platform: Windows Server 2022 Standard, i5-12600K/3.7GHz/10 core, 16GB RAM, 500GB SSD

through trial and error, i'm getting close. i'm now using a divisor of 230/122.34
    Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5
    Hardware: Insteon Serial PLM | AD2USB for Vista Alarm | HAI Omnistat2 | 1-Wire HA7E | RFXrec433 | Dahua Cameras | LiftMaster Internet Gateway | Tuya Smart Plugs
    Plugins: Insteon (mine) | Vista Alarm (mine) | Omnistat 3 | Ultra1Wire3 | RFXCOM | HS MyQ | BLRadar | BLDenon | Tuya | Jon00 Charting | Jon00 Links
    Platform: Windows Server 2022 Standard, i5-12600K/3.7GHz/10 core, 16GB RAM, 500GB SSD

Comment

Well that didn't last.

I can't seem to find a divisor that will keep the plugin numbers close to what the meter is reading. the two numbers seem to drift away for each other after several hours.
      Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5

Comment

The problem with the OWL devices is that they only measure the current flow. The power line voltage is not measured so that the Watts are fluctuating with a fluctuating power line voltage.

An OWL device can therefore not be used to measure an accurate power usage.

Comment

I have been working on this for several weeks and I think I have found the issue affecting my readings.

the CM180i seem to be reading high across the board. I have added a Divide By value of 1.125 to all 4 of my sensors. This brings down the total amp readings and now I can track kWh that better align with my meter.

ps. I'm in the US on a standard 240V 2-phase residential electrical system.
          Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5

Comment

Bert,
            I'm not sure if the calculations in the plugin virtual devices (Today Power Usage) are adhering to the divide by values in the cm180i sensor devices.

I setup my own devices and scripts to multiple the total amps by a voltage. the numbers are lower than the plugin calculations.
            Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5

Comment

The calculation on the physical sensor is (chapter 6.4 in the RFXCOM HS3 User Guide):
              Calibration value:
              This value is added to the sensor value or subtracted if a minus sign is entered before the value.
              Calibration value = (sensor value * Divide By) - Sensor value

Divide by:
              The total value (sensor value + the calibration value) is divided by the number entered in this field.

The Virtual sensors use the Device value stored on the physical sensor device.

Comment

Bert,
                the formula for the 'calibration value' doesn't make sense. I thought you previous mentioned that the calibration value was just a +/- offset to the sensor value

so the end result calculated value would be the following

final sensor value = (sensor value + calibration value) / divide by value
                Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5

Comment

Mark, you are right.

Comment

Working...
                  X