This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ISY vs Insteon plugin

New to Homeseer, been using Vera with ISY. Before starting my installation/config, looking at if I need the ISY anymore

What benefits are there to keeping the ISY vs using the PLM directly with the PLM plugin?

Thx for the help

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

see the following post for a list of the features of this plugin. You will have to do your own comparison against the ISY (I've never used one).

https://forums.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=184037
    Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5
    Hardware: Insteon Serial PLM | AD2USB for Vista Alarm | HAI Omnistat2 | 1-Wire HA7E | RFXrec433 | Dahua Cameras | LiftMaster Internet Gateway | Tuya Smart Plugs
    Plugins: Insteon (mine) | Vista Alarm (mine) | Omnistat 3 | Ultra1Wire3 | RFXCOM | HS MyQ | BLRadar | BLDenon | Tuya | Jon00 Charting | Jon00 Links
    Platform: Windows Server 2022 Standard, i5-12600K/3.7GHz/10 core, 16GB RAM, 500GB SSD

Comment

Originally posted by Ltek View Post
      New to Homeseer, been using Vera with ISY. Before starting my installation/config, looking at if I need the ISY anymore

What benefits are there to keeping the ISY vs using the PLM directly with the PLM plugin?

Thx for the help

I have just recently switched from the ISY with a serial PLM to a Hometroller-SEL with a USB PLM ( 2 weeks ago). My Insteon experiences were not good. With the HS plug-in I couldn't get a KeypadLinc to add all the buttons, just the main one. With mnsandler's plug-in the KeypadLinc wouldn't add correctly and the KPL blinked the set button red whenever I pressed a button.

I saw talk about the USB PLM not being reliable. So I switched everything to Z-Wave and couldn't be happier.

I think the ISY is great at Insteon, not so good with Z-Wave.
      The Homeseer system is great with Z-Wave, not so good with Insteon.

Of course I didn't try a USB to serial dongle so I could try using the serial PLM, but it was time anyway to update my system to Z-Wave. I definitely miss my two 8 button KPLs though, there seems to be no Z-Wave equivalent.

Comment

Originally posted by andyf View Post
        I have just recently switched from the ISY with a serial PLM to a Hometroller-SEL with a USB PLM ( 2 weeks ago). My Insteon experiences were not good. With the HS plug-in I couldn't get a KeypadLinc to add all the buttons, just the main one. With mnsandler's plug-in the KeypadLinc wouldn't add correctly and the KPL blinked the set button red whenever I pressed a button.

I saw talk about the USB PLM not being reliable. So I switched everything to Z-Wave and couldn't be happier.

Of course I didn't try a USB to serial dongle so I could try using the serial PLM, but it was time anyway to update my system to Z-Wave. I definitely miss my two 8 button KPLs though, there seems to be no Z-Wave equivalent.
        Did you try using the ISY plugin for HS?

I have 20 insteon switches installed , and another 10 needing to be. Switching out is an expensive proposition for me.

I also don't have, or plan on, using KPL.

Thx for the help

Comment

I definitely miss my two 8 button KPLs though, there seems to be no Z-Wave equivalent.
          Have you seen this scene controller. It has the 8 buttons which can be programmed for up to 24 devices I believe.

https://www.amazon.com/ZRC-90US-BW85...keywords=zrc90

Comment

I've never had a problem with my KPLs. Plus Mark is very active on the forums and helps with any problems that come up.

Comment

I tried again to get the KPLs added. First attempt was to Tap to discover which failed again for me.

So then I tried discovering the KPL by device # which worked great. I am back up and running with my 2 KPLs again. This really is a great plug-in.

With ISY you could trigger differently whether the button on the KPL was physically pressed or the button was turned on programmatically.

You would use "if control" to detect a physical button press, or "if status" to detect if the button was turned on by a button press OR an event.

I'm guessing this doesn't exist in Mark's plug-in?

Comment

I tried again to get the KPLs added. First attempt was to Tap to discover which failed again for me.

So then I tried discovering the KPL by device # which worked great. I am back up and running with my 2 KPLs again. This really is a great plug-in.

With ISY you could trigger differently whether the button on the KPL was physically pressed or the button was turned on programmatically.

You would use "if control" to detect a physical button press, or "if status" to detect if the button was turned on by a button press OR an event.

I'm guessing this doesn't exist in Mark's plug-in?
                there are triggers to capture a physical on or off but not conditions.
                Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5
                Hardware: Insteon Serial PLM | AD2USB for Vista Alarm | HAI Omnistat2 | 1-Wire HA7E | RFXrec433 | Dahua Cameras | LiftMaster Internet Gateway | Tuya Smart Plugs
                Plugins: Insteon (mine) | Vista Alarm (mine) | Omnistat 3 | Ultra1Wire3 | RFXCOM | HS MyQ | BLRadar | BLDenon | Tuya | Jon00 Charting | Jon00 Links
                Platform: Windows Server 2022 Standard, i5-12600K/3.7GHz/10 core, 16GB RAM, 500GB SSD

Comment

Perfect. Figured it out.
                  Thanks

Comment

Working...
                  X