How does this happen?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How does this happen?

I hope this is the right place. I have been using Z-Seer+, which I think is great! I have been systematically looking at nodes. For those nodes that have more than 1 hop, I either set command route ("auto") and/or fully optimize to reduce the number of hops. In many cases, this works beautifully. I have 2 Aeon Labs Gen5 energy meters side-by-side at my side-by-side breaker panels in my garage. One meter has 1 hop, the other has 4 hops to my Z-Net inside my house. Nothing I have done can change the 4 hops. So, how does this happen that the practically identically devices immediately adjacent to one another have such drastically different paths to Z-Net? There is probably no answer to this question, but I thought I would pose it anyway.
    Thanks,
    Elliott
    "Living with technology means living in a [constant] state of flux." S. Higgenbotham, 2023
    "Reboot and rejoice!" F. Pishotta, 1989

Originally posted by Richel View Post
    There is probably no answer to this question, but I thought I would pose it anyway.
    You not the only one to see weird things like that, and your right there is probley no logical explanation.

You can try and set a manual route and let it learn that. Then maybe even put it back to auto and see if it clears it self up.

Comment

Originally posted by integlikewhoa View Post
      You not the only one to see weird things like that, and your right there is probley no logical explanation.

You can try and set a manual route and let it learn that. Then maybe even put it back to auto and see if it clears it self up.
      Thanks for the suggestion. After fiddling a bit with setting the route manually, I got it to just 1 hop from its original 4.

Elliott
      "Living with technology means living in a [constant] state of flux." S. Higgenbotham, 2023

Comment

The latest version of Z-Seer+ allows you set the command route (from the Z-NET to your device) but there is no guarantee that route will be 'honored' by the controller. If the controller has any communication problems with the route you've set, it will choose an alternate route automatically.

We've also added a feature to add return routes. Unlike command routes, return routes are 'persistent' because they are actually stored in the device's onboard Z-Wave module instead of the controller.

Generally speaking, it makes sense to do a packet test for responses after setting return routes. That will tell you fairly accurately if that route is a good one.
        💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Originally posted by macromark View Post
          The latest version of Z-Seer+ allows you set the command route (from the Z-NET to your device) but there is no guarantee that route will be 'honored' by the controller. If the controller has any communication problems with the route you've set, it will choose an alternate route automatically....
          Thank you for these suggestions.

Elliott

Comment

Working...
          X