How do you deal with locks?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do you deal with locks?

Just included my Z-Wave lock and I can't for the life of me figure out how to do anything with it except lock and unlock it.

How do I trigger an event when a valid PIN is entered? How do I trigger an event if a specific PIN is entered?
    Originally posted by rprade
    There is no rhyme or reason to the anarchy a defective Z-Wave device can cause

Could it be that my lock didn't add properly? I just entered my PIN and found this error in the log:

Code:
    [COLOR=#D58000]Z-Wave Warning [/COLOR]  [COLOR=#D58000] New Interface : Secure message received from node 52 but part of the  security is invalid or expired - cannot decrypt the data. (Not  Processed)[/COLOR]
    Or is there something else entirely I'm missing?

Comment

Looks like it didn't add properly. How many devices do you have per lock and what are they called? Did you have the lock close to your HS computer and used the "Add Node" procedure from within HS (http://board.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=150983)?

Cheers
      Al
      HS 4.2.8.0: 2134 Devices 1252 Events
      Z-Wave 3.0.10.0: 133 Nodes on one Z-Net

Comment

Thanks for responding Sparkman!

Yeah, it was a PITA, removing the lock and bringing it to the HS machine. I almost just brought the machine up to the lock!

All this aside, how do you use a specific PIN being entered as a trigger? Also how do you have entering of any valid PIN trigger an event? If the second isn't possible I can deal. Would be annoying to have to make two of each event for everyone with a PIN; one during the day and one at night.... and for all of my other conditions too. I have different things spoken via TTS when different people enter depending on things like surrounding holidays and such.

Is this the proper amount of devices? See attached:
        Attached Files

Comment

Looks correct. I still have my locks on HS2 and did build many events to deal with them.

As an example, I have one event for each valid user entered (see HS2 screenshot) that triggers of the Alarm device ("Al" in this case refers to User Code 1). There's probably an easier way to do it with scripting, but with copying events and then changing them, it wasn't too bad.

Cheers
          Al
          Attached Files

Comment

@ sparkman,

Well, I got it! Thanks for your help!

I was assuming that it would be some esoteric procedure like it was in HS2 (See what I went through before!: http://board.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=156636 ) but it looks like locks are one item they really improved on in HS3. My mistake was not using the "Safety Alarm" child device. Once I tried triggering from that a whole new world opened up to me.

All in all I'm finding event creation to be much more intuitive and capable in HS3 than HS2. For the most part I'm really quite happy with it.... Now that I figured out the locks that is. I still am having some profoundly confused moments (like lights not being able to be turned on until there is also motion detected in the room ) but it's coming together quite nicely.

Thanks again for your help! If nothing else it provided me with moral support. Which I'm in need of from time to time while learning this new way of doing things.

Comment

Great, glad you got it figured out. I may need your help when I migrate my z-wave including locks over .

Cheers
              Al

Comment

You won't need help from anyone! All you need to keep in mind is that the "Safety Alarm" child device is what you need to use to create events. It is really incredible how much easier it is to work with locks in HS3. In fact, it's so much nicer all of my fumblings here were a direct result of me expecting things to be as convoluted as they are in HS2. Knowing what I know now, I would have no reservations about making the move to HS3 for locks. It was actually one of the last Z-Wave devices I moved over, simply because of the confusion I had in the past.

But.... If I can be of any help I will be sure to chime in! Being essentially developmentally disabled when it comes to anything that beeps or uses electricity I heavily rely on the work done by those more capable than myself, so I deeply wish to give back in any way I can.

Comment

Working...
                X