Arlo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Arlo

Has anyone looked into Netgear's new Arlo offering? The wireless aspect is appealing, but it's a closed architecture right now. Just wondering if anyone had any strong thoughts about it.

+1

I am very interested in a wire free option too!

Comment

Has anyone looked at this yet?

Comment

Originally posted by ScottRennie View Post
        Has anyone looked at this yet?
        Installed one Arlo camera this week - very good kit. Small but good quality. Will tie into IFTTT & see what I can do to include HS.

Comment

ScottRennie - Thank you for the feedback. Does Arlo support IFTTT? I remember checking into this several months back and at that time I thought it was not yet supported. Very interested to hear about your experience!

Thanks again!

Comment

Originally posted by mstukel View Post
            ScottRennie - Thank you for the feedback. Does Arlo support IFTTT? I remember checking into this several months back and at that time I thought it was not yet supported. Very interested to hear about your experience!

Thanks again!
            Unfortunately, it doesn't have an IFTTT channel yet (I think they are looking at creating one). I tied it to HS by configuring Arlo to send an email on motion to my gmail account then use IFTTT gmail trigger to turn on an HS virtual device. It all works, but it's not real time - there was a 5 minute lag between tripping the motion sensor on the Arlo and the HS device being updated.

I have had a root about, and there's not much going on in the Arlo / IoT / API world but if anyone knows better.......

Scott

Comment

Arlo tied to HS3

I just bought a 2 cam kit with the intention of tying it into my HS3 Zee S2.
              I'll post my experiences once I get a chance to see what it can do.

Comment

Which cameras from Arlo are you trying to connect? The original wireless cameras are really nice and convenient, but it looks like a really closed system, if you could figure out how to connect those that would be really awesome.

On the other hand, they do have the new wired Arlo Q, that looks more promising to connect, but does need wires.
                HS Install Date: Feb. 16, 2007

HS3 Pro, Z-Wave, Insteon, BLStat, HS Touch Server, MyQ

WeatherXML, BLBackup, BLLAN, BLLock, Restart, CaddX, OpenSprinkler

Comment

Arlo has released an IFTTT connector... so hopefully we will see them able to be integrated more deeply fairly soon. Should be able to at least connect them up via IFTTT basic recipes....

Comment

Originally posted by mittelhauser View Post
                    Arlo has released an IFTTT connector... so hopefully we will see them able to be integrated more deeply fairly soon. Should be able to at least connect them up via IFTTT basic recipes....
                    Excellent, Thank you

Comment

Just installed 5 Arlo cameras and am using IFTTT to arm/disarm but IFTTT is SO slow. I am looking at using the open Python scripts, maybe converting to a plugin. Will post if I get something working. So far the cameras have been working very well. The key to battery life is to disarm when you don't need recording.
                      💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Originally posted by rjh View Post
                        Just installed 5 Arlo cameras and am using IFTTT to arm/disarm but IFTTT is SO slow. I am looking at using the open Python scripts, maybe converting to a plugin. Will post if I get something working. So far the cameras have been working very well. The key to battery life is to disarm when you don't need recording.

Comment

Just installed 5 Arlo cameras and am using IFTTT to arm/disarm but IFTTT is SO slow.
                          Are you using IFFT plugin - via Dropbox? Yeah, I gave up on this, it's impossible...

I am looking at using the open Python scripts, maybe converting to a plugin.
                          Would be great. As a minimum would be nice to use Arlo for motion detection, instead of using separate sensors. I find Arlo really reliable, shame there's no HS plugin.

Comment

Arlo supports IFTTT. So I use the location trigger in IFTTT to detect when I leave my home area then use the Arlo IFTTT channel to arm the cameras. It works most of the time but I would like it to work with multiple phones. To do that I can use a virtual device in HS to be set when BOTH phones are home or away, then arm/disam. IFTTT cannot do that since it does not have conditions, but HS can. I just need HS to be able to arm/disarm directly. I guess I could use an HS trigger in IFTTT when that virtual device changes. I just think it would work better without IFTTT.

Arlo has a geolocation feature, but I can't get that to work.

Originally posted by alexbk66 View Post
                            Are you using IFFT plugin - via Dropbox? Yeah, I gave up on this, it's impossible...

Would be great. As a minimum would be nice to use Arlo for motion detection, instead of using separate sensors. I find Arlo really reliable, shame there's no HS plugin.
                            💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

I'm using IFTTT to trigger HS3 to turn on outdoor lights when one of the Arlo Pro cameras detect motion. This works relatively well, via IFTTT, the delay is reasonable, within about 2 seconds it works like this:
                              Via IFTTT, turn on a virtual HS3 device, which in turn triggers an event that does this:
                              - Turns off said virtual device
                              - Checks if the lights are off, otherwise don't trigger
                              - Checks if it's day or night. Only triggers at night
                              - Turns the lights for a set amount of time, turns them off after.
                              The virtual device is because I can't trigger the event from IFTTT and check for the other conditions as well. Seems like an otherwise unnecessary step.

As per the location service, I use the geolocation function of IFTTT, which triggers a virtual device, one for each family member. Then the 'house mode' (home/away/vacation) is its own virtual device. Through events, the house mode goes away when all devices controlled by IFTTT geolocation are away, and back home when at least one is home.
                              I do trigger arlos back to Armed when the house is away, but it doesn't always work (geolocation is much more reliable). I think it's because the HS3 integration doesn't always trigger right away. Arlo's integration with IFTTT is more reliable, and IFTTT triggering HS3 works very well.
                              A workaround could be to use the IFTTT Webhooks integration (used to be called Maker, as per Makezine, but it was renamed to Webhooks). If I can find an easy way for IFTTT to send an API request via a script, it should be a lot more reliable. Unfortunately didn't have enough time to play with HS3 and find how to do this.

Comment

Working...
                              X