X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reliable WIFI UI for HS3

Reliable WIFI UI for HS3

Hi,
    I will try to make it short. I am an electronic early adopter, and my house was/is fully automated since more than 20 years. X-10, Crestron, HAI, control 4, ELK, Elan multizones multisources, Coracces UI.
    I recently decided to upgrade, and choose HomeSeer. My first choice was Control-4 but I am a DIY type of guy. I have not yet decided on final configuration of my system, mainly for UI. I will have 12 UI in final.

I have problems with all my WIFI UI (IOS and Android). I used to have hardwire UI, Coracess and Elan Via music interface. The reliability was 100%. Always on, always working. Slow but ready and working.
    IOS IPad UI freeze when not in use (in a 24 hours period). Android UI stop HS app frequently, and always when I do couple of command back to back.
    I ask you community people what are your experiences with Wi-Fi UI devices, is there a way to make them almost reliable (meaning always on, and ready to operate, even after a 24 hour period of inactivity)
    Or do I have to go to hardwire type of device to obtain reliable UI.
    Thank-you for your input.

JYA

I have a couple of tablets that are wall mounted and use WiFi. I do use my router to assign a static ip which should help keeping it from connecting. Both tablets are android and use hstouch.

Sent from my SCH-R970X using Tapatalk
    HS4Pro on a Raspberry Pi4
    54 Z-Wave Nodes / 21 Zigbee Devices / 108 Events / 767 Devices
    Plugins: Z-Wave / Zigbee Plus / EasyTrigger / AK Weather / OMNI

HSTouch Clients: 1 Android

Comment

I'm using HSTouch and found it pretty solid. Not perfect, but not at all bad. The UI is fairly easy to build. Another thought (requires latest beta) is a web based affair found at http://board.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=172504

Kind of hard to beat hardwired for reliability.
      Don

Comment

I use cheap Androids for HS touch. It's reliable if I use WifiKeepAlive. Android seems to loose WIFI otherwise.

Regards
        Morten

Comment

I'm following this post because I've been planning a "roll out" of iPad minis throughout the house, wall mounted, always on, to use with HSTouch. Are people having WiFi issues with this usage scenario?

I have noticed that iOS devices do drop WiFi when they go to sleep (screen turned off), but haven't seen that issue if they're on 24/7.

Comment

I had a problem with my Androids losing WIFI connection on a regular basis. I blamed the problem on the WF07 desktop androids and HSTouch. What I finally discovered is that my WIFI network had serious problems. My router was not a good as I thought it was. The WIFI signal strength would vary greatly even when measured from a fixed location. Additionally, I have a WIFI access point in the garage and a SONOS Speaker system (which has its own WIFI network). What I found out is I had to select a different WIFI channels for each of the three devices instead of using Auto channel select as they would eventually collide with one another. Once my network issues were corrected, my Androids are solid as a rock. I do not have any iPads so I cannot comment on them.

Bob

Comment

Bob:

I don't understand the WiFi channel statement. Is this an Android setting?
              Don

Comment

Every router and the SONOS allows a channel selection for the WIFI signal. Most people leave the setting on Auto. I had to set each device (router, AP Point, and SONOS) to a specific channel to prevent them from trying to use the same WIFI channel.

Bob

Comment

Comment

Did a quickie site survey using my Ubiquiti AP. The attached shows the local AP's in our little subdivision near my home. Check out the channels. Notice that they many APs have all been left at default. The odd channel is mine.

I have two HSTouch clients wirelessly connected and they do fine. That said the rest of my clients are Gb / POE connected.

We did have a major sunspot storm this past week that did cause all kinds of RF stuff to happen. (GPS, Radio, other blackouts occurred.).

Multiple clients on multiple SSIDs in one home can cause RF issues. Best to tweak down the radios on these APs.

BTW personally would go to Wireless AC. (newest). That said not sure about tablets having AC yet built in. (they do have G and N today).

Relating to tablets and a good footprint for the home Wireless G probably does better than Wireless N with a good antenna and hardly anybody is using AC right now as its new. Today utilizing (for whole house use) an Ubiquti POE connected access Point mounted in the attic. The combination antenna / AP is tiny and works well. Over the years initially turned combination boxes into just AP's using DD-WRT; then found it easier to just dedicate one device to wireless rather than a combination device. (here playing with multiple N and AC devices today)

The small little combination Wireless N devices provided by your ISP with no antennas on them (Arris modem combo) and work well up to about 20 feet.

Moving up to the combination device with antennas works better (and you get the priviledge of sharing your internet connection and locked out of that piece of your configuration of your device).

Relating to purchased / leased ISP provided combination devices I have noticed that the old "guest" Wireless access has been shut off and configuration removed lately with a default ISP provided free access to whomever happens to be in range of your access point. While it is "free wireless access"; you still have to provide an ISP login whatever the ISP happens to be. On the other side of this the ISP advertises an extended and "free" wireless footprint wherever these combo boxes happen to be.

Personally here purchased my own modem (Motorola before aquired by Arris) for ISP broadband cable and disabled the FIOS (for ISP Broadband fiber) box except for the STB's and a passthrough to another firewall.
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by Pete; March 23, 2015, 08:53 AM.
                    - Pete

Auto mator
                    Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
                    Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
                    HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
                    HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Working...
                    X