This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Having trouble just getting started

I am new to Insteon and this plugin, but have extensive experience otherwise with HS3 and z-wave.

Please help me understand how to "start over" -- I registered the Insteon interface via it's COM port and then I think I added the one remote I have. But after adding it the only device that showed up in the HS3 device list was something like "Insteon 8 button remote - e" not eight buttons.

I tried playing around and tried to fix this but now the device doesn't even show up in the plugin device list. So I can't delete it, but the system thinks it's still there:

You have 1 internal Insteon device(s) registered in the system, 0 external device(s), and 0 group(s).
    These devices and groups currently consume 9 link database entries in your interface.*

But again, under manage devices it doesn't show anything there. I've already tried all the "reset" and whatever buttons on the main page but nothing seems to help. I've tried restarting the plugin with no success.

Not off to a good start I would say for me... any help would be appreciated.

if you restart the plugin, and the hs devices aren't there the plugin will recreate them and log this to the hs log. check for that. make sure you hit the 'show all' from dev mgmt just in case.

can you post your config\insteon.ini ?

also what version of the plugin did you start with?
    Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5
    Hardware: Insteon Serial PLM | AD2USB for Vista Alarm | HAI Omnistat2 | 1-Wire HA7E | RFXrec433 | Dahua Cameras | LiftMaster Internet Gateway | Tuya Smart Plugs
    Plugins: Insteon (mine) | Vista Alarm (mine) | Omnistat 3 | Ultra1Wire3 | RFXCOM | HS MyQ | BLRadar | BLDenon | Tuya | Jon00 Charting | Jon00 Links
    Platform: Windows Server 2022 Standard, i5-12600K/3.7GHz/10 core, 16GB RAM, 500GB SSD

Comment

Update

Seems quite messed up. I think I might just uninstall the plugin, delete all the files I can find that are related and restart from the beginning again? I don't know if anything is actually stored on the usb dongle like the smartstick does for z-wave.

error log:

-----------*Pre-Error Log*----------------
      4/15/2018 9:59:10 AM - Exit InitIO
      4/15/2018 9:59:10 AM - Note: External device support script does not exist in the HomeSeer scripts directory.
      4/15/2018 9:59:10 AM - External Device Registration complete.
      4/15/2018 9:59:10 AM - Generic Event Raised: Ready for Registration
      4/15/2018 10:00:19 AM - ***:Error in BuildPage, error displaying device: 1: Index was out of range. Must be non-negative and less than the size of the collection.
      Parameter name: index -- Details System.ArgumentOutOfRangeException: Index was out of range. Must be non-negative and less than the size of the collection.
      Parameter name: index
      at System.Collections.SortedList.GetByIndex(Int32 index)
      at Insteon.Support.WebInterface.BuildPage(Int32 PageIndex)
      --------*End Pre-Error Log*--------------

and yesterday:

Insteon Plug-in Error Log Generated 4/14/2018 11:51:15 PM
      -----------*Error Message*----------------
      Error: Error in CreateDevices: Device 1: Object reference not set to an instance of an object. -- Details System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
      at HSPI_Insteon.hspiAPI.HSAPI.CreateDevices(Boolean ReloadTables) -- 4/14/2018 11:51:15 PM
      --------*Initialization Log*--------------

ini file:

[Config]
      MaxHops=2
      NumRetries=5
      WaitTimeout=3
      DetailedLog=2
      UseLocation2=0
      DoCleanups=1
      DisablePolling=0
      SortDeviceLinks=0
      InterfacePort=COM5
      InterfaceCapability=4
      X10Enabled=0
      NumDevices=1
      NumInterfaceLinks=9
      LastInterfaceAddress=31.18.5E
      [Device 1]
      DeviceID=44.AE.C2
      DeviceName=FR Insteon 8 scene remote
      DeviceType=001A
      FirmwareVer=39
      DatabaseDelta=11
      LinksDownloaded=1
      PollingInterval=0
      Protocol=3
      EEValues=RBPMask=0,OpFlags1=178
      LastContact=4/14/2018 11:51:15 PM
      NumLinks=8
      Link 1=E2 01 31 18 5E 03 1C 01 2
      Link 2=E2 02 31 18 5E 03 1C 02 3
      Link 3=E2 03 31 18 5E 03 1C 03 4
      Link 4=E2 04 31 18 5E 03 1C 04 5
      Link 5=E2 06 31 18 5E 00 00 06 6
      RecentDatabaseDelta=11
      Link 6=E2 05 31 18 5E 00 00 05 7
      Link 7=E2 08 31 18 5E 00 00 08 8
      Link 8=E2 07 31 18 5E 00 00 07 9
      TotalInteractions=24
      FailedInteractions=0
      HopData=31,31,0,0

HS log section:

Apr-15 10:00:19 AM Insteon ** To request help with this problem please post this log file to the forum along with a detailed description of what lead to this problem.
      Apr-15 10:00:19 AM Insteon ** An error occurred in this plug-in. The details have been written to the log file - C:\Program Files (x86)\HomeSeer HS3\Config\Insteon Error Report.Log
      Apr-15 9:59:10 AM Insteon External Device Registration complete.
      Apr-15 9:59:10 AM Insteon Note: External device support script does not exist in the HomeSeer scripts directory.
      Apr-15 9:59:10 AM Starting Plug-In Plugin Insteon started successfully in 2559 milliseconds
      Apr-15 9:59:10 AM Insteon Waiting to initialize External Devices...
      Apr-15 9:59:10 AM Insteon I/O(Insteon Protocol) Interface Initialized.
      Apr-15 9:59:10 AM Insteon Scheduled polling resumed.
      Apr-15 9:59:09 AM Insteon Reloading 1 Insteon device information tables...
      Apr-15 9:59:09 AM Insteon Scheduled polling temporarily stopped.
      Apr-15 9:59:09 AM Insteon Scheduled polling enabled.
      Apr-15 9:59:09 AM Insteon I/O (Insteon Protocol) Interface Initializing...
      Apr-15 9:59:08 AM Insteon RF Dongle contacted on COM5 with an Insteon address of 31.18.5E and firmware version 3A
      Apr-15 9:59:07 AM Insteon RegisterCallback Completed
      Apr-15 9:59:07 AM Insteon Insteon Support library (Insteon.dll) version: 1.0.6.0
      Apr-15 9:59:07 AM Insteon Plugin HSPI_Insteon.exe version: 3.0.6.0

Comment

you rf dongle does save links, but those can easily be rewritten. the plugin can reset and reprogram the dongle from the config page.

you might try adding a RecreateDevices=1 to the [config] section to have the plugin recreate the hs devices.

otherwise, delete the insteon.ini to start over
        Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5
        Hardware: Insteon Serial PLM | AD2USB for Vista Alarm | HAI Omnistat2 | 1-Wire HA7E | RFXrec433 | Dahua Cameras | LiftMaster Internet Gateway | Tuya Smart Plugs
        Plugins: Insteon (mine) | Vista Alarm (mine) | Omnistat 3 | Ultra1Wire3 | RFXCOM | HS MyQ | BLRadar | BLDenon | Tuya | Jon00 Charting | Jon00 Links
        Platform: Windows Server 2022 Standard, i5-12600K/3.7GHz/10 core, 16GB RAM, 500GB SSD

Comment

Started over... seems OK now

I went ahead and started over -- deleted the plugin and all files with "Insteon" in the name; restarted things and there are no devices now.

Added the one remote and it all looks good now, sorry for the noise.

The one interesting thing I noticed with the behavior of the Insteon remotes are that it looks like it has a built in on/off toggle - red led for off and green for on. This messes with my events since I use Spud's easytrigger plugin to "toggle devices" when a button is pushed.

How do two Insteon remotes control one light? I.e. if one thinks it's off and the other thinks it's on then one of them will require two button pushes to get what you want. This is all through HS3 events.

Does that sound like intended behavior?

Thanks!

Comment

what are you trying to accomplish? maybe you don't need the EasyTrigger plugin to do what you want.

two different remotes can control the same light, but the remote statuses will not be in sync. A remote can't be controlled (as responders) from another remote.

i wouldn't use the remote device status to trigger events. Use the Insteon Special Triggers for this purpose. There are Transmits an On and Transmits an Off for this purpose.
            Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5

Comment

So I'm looking to replicate the minimote functionality -- it has four buttons that act as toggles for whatever state the light is in.

In other words, someone may use remote #1 to turn on a light by pressing button #1. It turns on because it was off and a "toggle status" turns it on.

Then remote #2 comes into the picture and button #1 is pressed. Same event is triggered but this time the light turns off.

Here's one scenario where I might be able to get that functionality:
              1. I'll disable the LED on the remote (I think your plug-in lets me do that).
              2. My even trigger will be for *either* an on command or off command and use that to toggle the light status.

Not sure if I can do that. I looked at the Insteon special triggers but there's not one that says "Transmits an on or off command" so I'll need to create an "or" event trigger to get both in there.

Make sense?

Comment

there's a setting for the remotelinc called "Toggle Buttons". try turning this off, and see what the remote transmits.

you will need to put the remote into linking mode to reprogram it from the plugin

8 Scene Non-Toggle Mode
                Each button will control all its Scene Members as follows:
                Tap
                - Turn Scene On

Press & hold
                - Brighten Scene Members until released

Double-tap
                - Turn Scene Members Full-bright instantly
                Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5

Comment

It works!

As odd as the last request may sound -- it actually works!

I look for both event triggers - Insteon device send on command and also the off command. Based on that I can trigger lights the usual way.

I only have one Insteon remote but I can use my minimotes to toggle the light status and the Insteon remote works the same way. Now I just have to either ignore the red/grn led or turn it off.

Comment

Glad its working.

i would just turn the led off. If you set the option i mentioned in post #8, you can simplify the trigger logic to just a 'transmit an On'
                    Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5

Comment

Thanks!

Looking forward to replacing my z-wave stuff with Insteon. So far so good.

The toggle change option makes things nicer - the LED seems to always blink green when buttons are pushed, and yes, I just look for an ON event to toggle lights.

Thanks for the help! Now I just need to figure out how to extend the RF range....

I also got a dimmer plug in module so I'm hoping to play with that and maybe it'll act as an RF repeater... not sure.

Comment

Glad its all working.

every hardwired and plugin module (that is dualband) is a repeater.

but you may need something between the insteon interface and the destination device.

insteon does have an rf extender plugin module
                        Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5

Comment

Working...
                        X