control projector vias rs232

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

control projector vias rs232

i have just installed homeseer hs3 and hstouch.

i would like to control my projector via rs232.

will this plugin help?
    i m a newbie--please help if there is another way

my projector specifications are as under-- page 8,9

http://www.audiogeneral.com/Panasonic/ptae8000u.pdf

It certainly looks possible but will need some effort by yourself, before jumping to controlling it from HomeSeer look first at can you control it from the computer. I would look for any tools on the internet that have already been written to verify this...there is nothing worse than trying to write a HS script for something only to find out it was never connected correctly in the first place.

You should in theory be able to write a simple script that controls that projector which you can then call from HSTouch. I'm sure there was a post only recently with some projector codes in so your best bet is to do a search for projector or something, try and find a sample script and then modify it to your specific projector. There is not (unless someone has already written a script for it) a plug and play solution I am afraid.

Comment

I have an older model panasonic PTAX100 that I control through
      HS3 with a script.
      Your projector has more features, but this script should help get you started.
      It's a vb script, so drop the txt extension.
      Attached Files
      Last edited by ; March 14, 2014, 12:39 PM.

Comment

I currently control my AE 7000 true RS232. This thread might be of some help to you. http://board.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=155915

Comment

Originally posted by jowens14 View Post
          I have an older model panasonic PTAX100 that I control through
          HS3 with a script.
          Your projector has more features, but this script should help get you started.
          It's a vb script, so drop the txt extension.
          Wow,
          Thank u so much.

It looks like just what I need. I am totally new at scripting-- so this will be like a bible to me. I have read it a few times and am starting to understand how it works and what u r doing with the script.

One thing I couldn't figure out, have u created a virtual device in homeseer - if so how and how do u populate data there instead of just in log??

For eg does homeseer show u
          Panasonic projector, on , input hdmi.

As opposed to

Panasonic projectors, off

Comment

Sweeeet... I've got the AE8000 also. Will be tracking this thread like a hawk. We dislike the remote when trying to power the projector off, cause sometime the user will just put the projector in sleep mode (double click power button) and then 5 mins later it turns back on wasting the bulb life.

We already control our AVR with a 8 button Insteon and sonn with this we will control the projector.

Please let us know how it works for u.

Sent from my htc Inspire 4G using Tapatalk
            Last edited by CharlieWayne; March 13, 2014, 10:26 AM.
            HSPro: 3.0.0.194
            PL: Insteon PLM 3.0.5.20,Insteon Thermostat 3.0.1.1 , UltraM1G, RainRelay8, UltraECM3, UltraPioneerAVR3, BLBackup, weatherXML, Jon00 Network & PC Monitor
            HW : Win 7 64bit, Intel i7-2600, 16 GB DDR3 Ram, 60 Plus Insteon Dual Band Devices, Rain8 Pro2, Elk M1 Gold, Brueltech GreenEye.

Comment

Originally posted by lazy_bums View Post
              Wow,
              Thank u so much.

It looks like just what I need. I am totally new at scripting-- so this will be like a bible to me. I have read it a few times and am starting to understand how it works and what u r doing with the script.

One thing I couldn't figure out, have u created a virtual device in homeseer - if so how and how do u populate data there instead of just in log??

For eg does homeseer show u
              Panasonic projector, on , input hdmi.

As opposed to

Panasonic projectors, off
              I do use virtual devices that trigger the script commands when their status changes. I'll post some screen shots tonight when I get home.

Jeff

Comment

thanks , waiting eagerly.

also if you could send your script about how to turn power on, or any other command.

i assume u create an event to run individual scrppt

the script to poll the projector that u sent-- do u run it at startup , or at periodic interval or before other events or after events??

Comment

Sorry for the delay. Unexpected problems last night.

I had made some changes awhile ago that I had forgotten about. I broke the mode changes out into seperate scripts. I've attached them to my original post.

I added this to the HS3 startup.vb scribt

hs.RunScript("PTAX100.vb",FALSE,TRUE)
                  This runs when HS3 starts and gets the com port open.

I have virtual devices created for each function that I want to control. Like Power On/Off, Picture Mode, Input...

Then I have events that are run when the virtual devices change values. The event runs the script and passes the command to the SendMsg sub routine for power on or off.

For the mode changes, one of the "mode change scripts" is called. That script gets a value from the virtual device and sends the command based on that value.

I'll post some screen shots tonight or Saturday morning. Not sure when I'll be home tonight.

Comment

Here are some screen shots.
                    Virtual devices for the picture mode, power and com port status:
                    Click image for larger version

Name:	VirtDev1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	42.1 KB
ID:	1171774

Picture mode device:

Name:	VertDet.png
Size:	49.8 KB
ID:	1171775

Power device:

Name:	VirtPwr.png
Size:	28.5 KB
ID:	1171776

Event that runs when the power device changes value:

Name:	EvtPon.png
Size:	15.2 KB
ID:	1171777

Event that runs when the picture mode device changes value.

Name:	EvtMode.png
Size:	25.3 KB
ID:	1171778

I'll try to answer questions, but won't be home much this weekend.

Jeff

Comment

Thanks,

Let me try to at least get this much going. I m new , so still struggling with rs232 communication etc. please keep checking though-- I will need your help in next few weeks

A big thank you

Comment

I can't get my computer to talk to projector

Having a hard time understanding putty termite etc-- tried everything I could research in last few days--

How do u do it?

Comment

hope you are still here.

any ideas on this error while trying to do power on or power off via your script.

May-05 9:56:03 PM Error 3 Running script C:\Program Files (x86)\HomeSeer HS3\scripts\PTAX100.vb :Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation.-{0x3E}Does entry point SendMsg exist in script? at System.RuntimeMethodHandle.InvokeMethod(Object target, Object[] arguments, Signature sig, Boolean constructor) at System.Reflection.RuntimeMethodInfo.UnsafeInvokeInternal(Obj ect obj, Object[] parameters, Object[] arguments) at System.Reflection.RuntimeMethodInfo.Invoke(Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, Binder binder, Object[] parameters, CultureInfo culture) at A.c17b105f989efe61e5979e67bec1ef734.cffd66cb0782c50126727e3f a75582d7a()

Comment

Working...
                          X