need help deciding on my whole house tv/video

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Pete View Post
    Here I have used Ooma now for a few years and its been fine.
    Same here and have been using Ooma for over a year.

Comment

I've been on magic jack for about 3 years now with no problems, cost was $40 for the device plus first year, and they always run specials for a 5 year add on for $70. 6 years of service for $110.

And the newer versions of MagicJack don't need to plug in to a computer anymore which was the main drawback in the early days.
      HS Install Date: Feb. 16, 2007

HS3 Pro, Z-Wave, Insteon, BLStat, HS Touch Server, MyQ

WeatherXML, BLBackup, BLLAN, BLLock, Restart, CaddX, OpenSprinkler

Comment

Originally posted by misraels View Post
        I've been on magic jack for about 3 years now with no problems, cost was $40 for the device plus first year, and they always run specials for a 5 year add on for $70. 6 years of service for $110.

And the newer versions of MagicJack don't need to plug in to a computer anymore which was the main drawback in the early days.

My experience has been the same. I've been using MJ since 2008ish and never a disappointing time. Had the first failure last week due to electrical outage, but MJ shipped out a replacement same day. In the mean time u can use their smartphone app to make or receive calls from your landline number.

Oh, talking about making calls while your not at home, works great when your out of town and need to call in sick. Cough cough, LOL

Their newest version is even smaller than the plus model and don't bother with extended warranty. When u buy the device it comes with premium or platinum status which is more or less another marketing way of saying warranty.
        HSPro: 3.0.0.194
        PL: Insteon PLM 3.0.5.20,Insteon Thermostat 3.0.1.1 , UltraM1G, RainRelay8, UltraECM3, UltraPioneerAVR3, BLBackup, weatherXML, Jon00 Network & PC Monitor
        HW : Win 7 64bit, Intel i7-2600, 16 GB DDR3 Ram, 60 Plus Insteon Dual Band Devices, Rain8 Pro2, Elk M1 Gold, Brueltech GreenEye.

Comment

fyi update. i bought mj and installed it. wow works... $53 with tax good for 1 year. now i have to transfer our number... we pay verizon $80 a month for a lan line... gonna go soon... wooot...
          HW - i5 4570T @2.9ghz runs @11w | 8gb ram | 128gb ssd OS - Win10 x64

HS - HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.435

Plugins - BLRF 2.0.94.0 | Concord 4 3.1.13.10 | HSBuddy 3.9.605.5 | HSTouch Server 3.0.0.68 | RFXCOM 30.0.0.36 | X10 3.0.0.36 | Z-Wave 3.0.1.190

Hardware - EdgePort/4 DB9 Serial | RFXCOM 433MHz USB Transceiver | Superbus 2000 for Concord 4 | TI103 X-10 Interface | WGL Designs W800 RF | Z-Net Z-Wave Interface

Comment

PL: Insteon PLM 3.0.5.20,Insteon Thermostat 3.0.1.1 , UltraM1G, RainRelay8, UltraECM3, UltraPioneerAVR3, BLBackup, weatherXML, Jon00 Network & PC Monitor
            HW : Win 7 64bit, Intel i7-2600, 16 GB DDR3 Ram, 60 Plus Insteon Dual Band Devices, Rain8 Pro2, Elk M1 Gold, Brueltech GreenEye.

Comment

Just dropped an order for a Ouya for $99. It has a quad core processor and it suppose to do laps around a rasbmc.

I'll be loading xbmc on it and trying it out as an alternative to Cetons echo (wmc extender).

One thing I'm confused on still, are other ways to distribute the cable TV feed going I to my Ceton TV Tuner Card.

Any ideas anyone?

Comment

Not to brake this topic, of course I noticed that Pete is always ahead with the new technology. I noticed that you Pete is using hdhomerun prime with mymhth and Jodi. I have been trying do r more than a year now without success. Posted these issues on their boards but that group is not as nice as this one.
                Pete, I'm running the same configuration as yours, but I can't run a full livetv without having blank screen ones a while, sound dropping etc.

My configuration, Raspberry pi2, hdhomerun, mymthytv on virtual box. I tried next pvr, with better success but still dropping frames and etc. Can you share your configuration of Jodi, what hardware you use for it and some tips I may use to make more stable?

Comment

What is Jodi?

Here using two HDHomerun (one for broadcast TV and the other for cableTV) devices and MythTV box has two tuners (analog/satellite).

MythTV/Squeeze box server is using a BCM industrial style mITX board with a fast core duo CPU.

XBMC boxes are Aopen Digital Engines with core duo's connected via Gb. These have no issues streaming live TV from MythTV box. I don't think that the RPI / RPi2 would do good streaming live video; but that is my personal opinion as I never tested it. I only stream to the LCD TVs (no phones, no wireless, no tablets, no VMs, no RPi's and no transcoding). I can stream live TV well on the Openpeak 2's (Gb connected) with a Crystal HD Broadcom mini pcie card just fine.
                  - Pete

Auto mator
                  Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
                  Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
                  HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
                  HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

OK, I got it now.

So the MythTV will run in the back end (server machine with the tuner card) and supply feed to a MythTV client on my XBMC.

Sweet.

Comment

MythTV will work HDHomerun or Ceton tuner and a cable card depending on your service.

Options include cable box with HD analog outputs or Hauppauge HD-PVR.

BTW don't watch TV here much; wife records everything.
                      Last edited by Pete; March 12, 2015, 01:02 PM.
                      - Pete

Auto mator
                      Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
                      Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Pete sorry i ment kodi, xbmc changed the name to kodi.

I used cablecard from Verizon and configure it in mymhtv using hdhomerun, at that point theoretically you should be able to stream to any clients I.e kodi or xbmc. I hope that helps

Comment

Yes

Going to the MythTV Wiki see the following.

CableCARD

CableCARD is a United States cable TV system for conditional access and content management. Compatible devices use a CableCARD rented from a cable company—usually for much less than for a cable box, and sometimes for free—and will allow encrypted channels to be decrypted and recorded by MythTV. As with FireWire capture, for non-Windows users this method is restricted to those channels marked "copy freely". Comcast, Verizon FiOS, Astound, and RCN generally have customer friendly copy protection flagging, whereas the opposite is true of Cox and Time Warner Cable. There are exceptions with all of these companies, so it bears some research into the topic before investing in hardware.

MythTV supports the HDHomeRun Prime, the Hauppauge WinTV DCR-2650 (a two tuner USB variant of the HDHR Prime) and InfiniTV 4.

The Bottom Line: Necessary Equipment and Services
                          1 - MultiStream CableCard rental from cable company
                          2 - Channels marked copy freely to allow DRM-free access
                          3 - HDHomeRun Prime*, DCR-2650, or InfiniTV 4*
                          I did get a letter a couple of years ago from CC saying that they were phasing out the use of cable cards and going to propietary STBs which I mentioned here on the forum. I don't think they are going to do that anymore.
                          Last edited by Pete; March 12, 2015, 01:06 PM.
                          - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

Originally posted by CharlieWayne View Post
                            Just dropped an order for a Ouya for $99. It has a quad core processor and it suppose to do laps around a rasbmc.

I'll be loading xbmc on it and trying it out as an alternative to Cetons echo (wmc extender).

One thing I'm confused on still, are other ways to distribute the cable TV feed going I to my Ceton TV Tuner Card.

Any ideas anyone?
                            dvblink.

it does encrypted as long as your tuner does it. (ie hdhomerun, etc)

I have it distributing a pool of satellite and atsc tuners. had it doing hdhomerun too but broke that off since the satellite does all the same channels.

just needs a wmc/xbox/roku/dlna/etc device in each room with the tv that you want to use it on.

Comment

I like that DVBLink. Found the price.

@Tom,

Are you using the Windows or Linux version of it. Are you a happy camper?

Very reasonable and it does:

Description of DVBLink

DVBLink TVSource seamlessly integrates TV channels from Satellite, Cable (DVB-C and ClearQAM) or Terrestrial (DVB-T/T2 and ATSC) tuners into DVBLink server infrastructure, including support for SD and HD video, multichannel audio, EPG information, teletext and subtitles.

Programs from these channels can be recorded onto a hard disk of a host system (NAS or PC) and live and recorded TV can be streamed to Windows MediaCenter and its extenders, XBMC, DLNA clients, mobile clients for iOS, Android and WinPhone platforms and to web browser interface.

Specifications

Satellite (DVB-S/S2), Cable (DVB-C/QAM) and Terrestrial (DVB-T/T2 and ATSC) support
                              Free-to-air (FTA) and commercial channels support (including support of CI modules)
                              Multiple tuner support cards in one PC from different categories (ATSC, T/T2, S/S2 or C/QAM) and manufacturers
                              Support for mini-diseqc, diseqc 1.0, 1.1 and 1.2 (using raw diseqc commands)
                              Unicable support

Supported hardware from the following brands and manufacturers:

Digital Devices
                              Hauppauge WinTV Nova, WinTV HVR (including CI support)
                              Technotrend Budget (including CI support)
                              Technisat (including CI support)
                              PCTV Systems
                              TBS
                              DVBSky (including CI support)
                              BlackGold
                              Terratec Cinergy (including CI support)
                              FireDTV, FloppyDTV (including CI support)
                              Twinhan (including CI support)
                              Prof Red and Prof Revolution
                              Azurewave (including CI support)
                              TeVii
                              Genpix
                              SiliconDust HDHomeRun (DVB-T/C and ATSC/QAM)
                              Satellite receivers implementing SAT>IP protocol

All other cards, having BDA drivers, are supported as well. However diseqc and CI control availability may differ.
                              - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

Pete, what do you suggest for kodi, I agree Raspberry pi2 may not be that powerful to support hd files. I would think something that is fanless, very low on power consumption and that I do not need to reboot too often since it needs to be wife proof

Comment

Working...
                                X