Config missing, device list has one device

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Config missing, device list has one device

Everything was going well, then I stopped and restarted homeseer and it loaded a file administrator.xml and my real config seems to be gone. Also, the only device type is infrared device. I uninstalled and reinstalled and it didn't help. Also, I will do file->new create a new config, when I stop and restart Homeseerloads the administrator.xml file again. Do I have to reinstall XP or something? Right now my biggest problem is the no device types thing.
    mike

Mike,
    Try this. Shut down HS. Then delete the file C:\Program Files\HomeSeer\config\devtypes.cfg. Then restart HS. See if this fixes the missing device types. As far as you XML file goes try using file open and reopen your last xml file.
    💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

That fixed my device types, thanks. As for my config, its gone. I searched far and wide. That will teach me to do backups.

Comment

Mike,
        There's an automated backup in the config directory called oldnambak.xml Check that file and see if its usable.
        💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

When HomeSeer successfully reads an XML configuration, it makes a backup copy to name_BAK.XML, so look for that. If the devtypes file was present but wiped out, odds are that something happened to the computer when it was in the process of saving the configuration file and devtypes file at shutdown.

This can happen if you are installing something like a device driver or software package that forces a system reboot at the end of the install. HS gets the signal to shutdown, but these things take time! It is bad when the system does not wait and actually terminates processes while it is in the middle of writing the files.
          Regards,

Rick Tinker (a.k.a. "Tink")

Comment

This happened to me today. I lost all devices and events. Although I maintain a full backup, I first looked at the last modified time of the XML config file. It was mod'd during a shutdown. I just renamed the backup file and all was restored.

Comment

Working...
            X