Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TeleFragger View Post
    yeah plex has its quirks...
    great for organizing movies and playback... the live tv though I'm disappointed but it maybe a viable solution... still nextpvr just might be it..

I'm not caffeinated enough to understand that!!! HAH..

here are some shots of my Plex/Live TV... just took them
    Thank You.
    RJ_Make On YouTube

Comment

Originally posted by ServiceXp View Post
      Plex looks promising. How strong does the server it's running on need to be to deliver high bit-rate media?

I have a WHS 2011 server that's running on a ASRock C2550D41 (Intel Avoton C2550 Quad-Core Processor).

So with a $40/year sub this is a possible solution, but I have my doubt on it running very well on a C2550 processor.
      I'm running plex on an i7 2600 and it streams just fine to a Roku (which transcodes) and an xbox one at the same time...

if I need too.. I have 2 dual quad core xeon machines with 64gb ram sitting there but I don't think it will come to that.. LOL...
      HW - i5 4570T @2.9ghz runs @11w | 8gb ram | 128gb ssd OS - Win10 x64

HS - HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.435

Plugins - BLRF 2.0.94.0 | Concord 4 3.1.13.10 | HSBuddy 3.9.605.5 | HSTouch Server 3.0.0.68 | RFXCOM 30.0.0.36 | X10 3.0.0.36 | Z-Wave 3.0.1.190

Hardware - EdgePort/4 DB9 Serial | RFXCOM 433MHz USB Transceiver | Superbus 2000 for Concord 4 | TI103 X-10 Interface | WGL Designs W800 RF | Z-Net Z-Wave Interface

Comment

Originally posted by TeleFragger View Post
        I'm running plex on an i7 2600 and it streams just fine to a Roku (which transcodes) and an xbox one at the same time...

if I need too.. I have 2 dual quad core xeon machines with 64gb ram sitting there but I don't think it will come to that.. LOL...
        I'm thinking your 2600 is WAY more powerful then my C2550..
        Attached Files
        RJ_Make On YouTube

Comment

@Jeff,

Here had AT&T 5 SIM accounts that about 25 years old. Grandfathered unlimited voice, internet and texting until a couple of years ago when AT&T slammed my account.

I vowed never to use AT&T again. Early in the 2000's they slammed my copper line for using a backup modem on it. I switched to MCI copper at the time. They told me that I wasn't allowed to use a modem on my copper lines (new rules back then) and then they charged me a data charge on top of the voice charges. That said today I am currently stuck with DTV and AT&T owns them these days.

I have though never purchased a phone via the AT&T provider or any cellular provider and always purchased my phones unlocked mostly to tinker with them (root and cook new OS's).

I did get a deal with T-Mobile for 5 SIM cards at $20 a card with no contract and unlimited everything. The $20 per SIM ...but I cannot add new at that price or if I drop one then I will lose the deal on it. Just last week purchased two new 5.7" phones as wife was complaining that her iPhone was too small. I was using a 4.5" Microsoft 10 phone. Today Microsoft is giving away (literally) these phones. I do a rotating phone and SIM card thing here not really sticking to any phone at any particular time. That said though I am not tethered to my phone and typically the phone is configured to forward calls to GV or Home or just a black hole.
          - Pete

Auto mator
          Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
          Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
          HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
          HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Comment

Sounds like a nice setup Kerat.

I have confirmed my C2550 is no match for Plex. CPU was 100% just scraping a folder, After it was completed I tried to watch a 1080i recorded video across my gigabit network and it pretty much crippled the server only playing maybe 10 sec of the file before falling on it's face.
              RJ_Make On YouTube

Comment

Originally posted by ServiceXp View Post
                Sounds like a nice setup Kerat.

I have confirmed my C2550 is no match for Plex. CPU was 100% just scraping a folder, After it was completed I tried to watch a 1080i recorded video across my gigabit network and it pretty much crippled the server only playing maybe 10 sec of the file before falling on it's face.

Comment

nice setup Kerat... I am still in the setup/testing phase (1.5yrs worth LOL)..

last night told the wife I will be cutting the cord this weekend. She then told my son.. Did you hear what dad is doing? then she started saying it..

so I chimed in and was like.. umm you do know your going to loose CMT (country music television), HGTV, Food channel, etc..

she is like.. what? we didn't discuss that...

well looks like I will NOT be cutting the cord. She is like.. so you wasted all this money on setting this up? I am like.. No I paid $30 for the antenna and when the overstock.com OTA tuner comes in, ill return it.. but now I'm thinking.. No I like watching OTA.. so ill keep it and pipe that to the front tv for channels in OTA....

UGHHHHHHH

Plugins - BLRF 2.0.94.0 | Concord 4 3.1.13.10 | HSBuddy 3.9.605.5 | HSTouch Server 3.0.0.68 | RFXCOM 30.0.0.36 | X10 3.0.0.36 | Z-Wave 3.0.1.190

Hardware - EdgePort/4 DB9 Serial | RFXCOM 433MHz USB Transceiver | Superbus 2000 for Concord 4 | TI103 X-10 Interface | WGL Designs W800 RF | Z-Net Z-Wave Interface

Comment

she is like.. what? we didn't discuss that...
                    and therein lies the source of the trouble in most households, mine included.

The OTA picture is vastly superior to the compressed signal on either cable or satellite. Of course the challenge is the mishmosh of HGTV, FS1, etc.

I might have to try sling once again via the amazon fire stick. Sacrifices will have to be made by all.

I assume the HDHomerun or something similar will be needed for OTA recording. It just goes on and on.

Comment

Originally posted by racerfern View Post
                      I assume the HDHomerun or something similar will be needed for OTA recording. It just goes on and on.

my bud has a simple setup and loves it... tablo quad tuner...
                      hooked to antenna.. then all his devices attach to it... simple and easy.. and dvr as well

Comment

Originally posted by BeenHeavyinFlorida View Post
                        I cut the cord a year ago. I subscribed to DirecTVNow (streamed over The internet, no dish) for $35/month. Over 100 channels including Hallmark. Couldn’t possibly be more pleased. I have a Tivo with antenna also, but rarely use it. DTVNow has all but one of my network channels. Was paying $130/month to Comcast.
                        I looked at DTVNow due to your post and it seems like a great possibility over my DishTV ($160 per month here). The only thing I'm wondering is how to replace the DVR capabilities of my Hopper (DishTV DVR Hardware). I only have one TV in this house and don't need a complex setup.
                        --------------------------------------------------
                        **** Do You "Cocoon"? ****

Comment

Originally posted by BraveSirRobbin View Post
                          I looked at DTVNow due to your post and it seems like a great possibility over my DishTV ($160 per month here). The only thing I'm wondering is how to replace the DVR capabilities of my Hopper (DishTV DVR Hardware). I only have one TV in this house and don't need a complex setup.
                          https://help.directvnow.com/hc/en-us...nd-mobile-apps

Comment

Originally posted by BraveSirRobbin View Post
                            2 of my neighbors got the sony vue and love it. dvr...If you setup 1 show to record.. it unlocks ALL previous ones as well.. so you don't really "DVR"

Comment

Originally posted by Timon View Post
                              Seems that a 4 tuner TiVo Bolt and Homerun both do over the air but TiVo Bolt+TiVo Mini gives you more including not only OTA but streaming and DVR as well. If TiVo adds Directv Now there isn't much left it doesn't offer.

Can we control Tivo from HomeSeer? Since the Tivo remote is RF, what is the interface? Have a Tivo for OTA recording but unable to control from HomeSeer.

DTVNow is adding a cloud based DVR. Hopefully could control this through an interface to the Apple TV.

Comment

Working...
                              X