Cable between server and panel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cable between server and panel

I currently have my caddx (nx8e) panel hooked to a VERA via usb to Serial adaptor.

Switching over to Homeseer I'm using a server in a different location of the house where as before the Vera was close to the Panel.

So my question is what hardware is everyone using to make the connection? Stright serial, Serial to USb, or even better for me would be Serial to IP or USB to IP or something along those lines.

I didn't really want to spend 100.00 for an adapter but I can run a cat5e from the switch to the panel quiet easy. So whats my best option?

Anyone try using a Pi and virtual here? I already have a Pi where the VERA was so if that works I can get the USB from there to the computer VIA IP.

Comment

Well I see I'm getting alot of action here, but I already found the usb z-wave dongle works great using the PI and Virtual Here. So I don't see why the alarm should be anything different. Going to test out in the next couple of days.

Comment

Ok, let me know the outcome.
        Regards,

Rien du Pre
        The Netherlands
        Using:
        Homeseer PRO latest HS4 BETA on a Raspberry
        Plugin's:
        RFXCOM, mcsMQTT, Z-Wave

Comment

Originally posted by Rien du Pre View Post
          Ok, let me know the outcome.
          Working great so far I have it up and running only problem so far is VirtualHere only allows one port sharing at a time in the free version and I haven't paid the 39.99 to unlock unlimited ports. I need to buy it if I want to keep my z-wave plus stick and Alarm panel both in a remote location from the HS3 Server. Not sure if there is any performance difference but none that i can see so far.

Purchased the VirtualHere, got It auto running on server boot up. It currently running the my SmartStick+ and the Caddx alarm panel. Still testing.

I can see the Virtual Home free version, a PI and SmartStick+ replacing a Z-NET. Probley a 50% savings
          Last edited by integlikewhoa; February 14, 2016, 09:12 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by integlikewhoa View Post
            Working great so far I have it up and running only problem so far is VirtualHere only allows one port sharing at a time in the free version and I haven't paid the 39.99 to unlock unlimited ports. I need to buy it if I want to keep my z-wave plus stick and Alarm panel both in a remote location from the HS3 Server. Not sure if there is any performance difference but none that i can see so far.
            I know you are using the Z-wave plus stick, but consider the z-net. It's ether net so easier to put anywhere you want (though I wish it supported POE). I've also only had 1 issue with it, and the outlet it has trouble controlling is in a huge metal outdoor enclosure on the very opposite side of the house where it has to go through at least 3 concrete block walls.

I know you are just trying out HS for now, but I personally find it an amazing piece of equipment.

Comment

Originally posted by sirmeili View Post
              I know you are using the Z-wave plus stick, but consider the z-net. It's ether net so easier to put anywhere you want (though I wish it supported POE). I've also only had 1 issue with it, and the outlet it has trouble controlling is in a huge metal outdoor enclosure on the very opposite side of the house where it has to go through at least 3 concrete block walls.

I know you are just trying out HS for now, but I personally find it an amazing piece of equipment.
              The z-net is a PI with a z-wave chip.

I have a PI with a Z-wave Stick now.

My Pi allows wifi (same as z-net) and my PI also is allowing me to use my caddex panel (USB) to also be remote (probley can't do that with z-net).

So right now my server is on one end of the house in the office and the PI is where my VERA used to be in the media cabinet. I have yet to see the point of z-net vs. a pie, a usb stick and virtual here. Maybe that will show up later.

Comment

Yes, I know, but it has been absolutely amazing and its range is awesome. I've never used the usb dongles, but compared to the vera, it was like night and day.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by sirmeili View Post
                  Yes, I know, but it has been absolutely amazing and its range is awesome. I've never used the usb dongles, but compared to the vera, it was like night and day.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
                  Well we shall see how it goes, I have 3 houses with VERA and this is the smallest at around 1500sf. I never had a problem here with vera either. Might try out a znet at the bigger houses where I could use multiple z-wave antennas.

I got almost everything moved over right now and tomorrow I'll work on the logic.

Comment

I'm a bit late to the party but here is what I did.

I bought the NX-584 board for the panel and tied it into the NX-8V2. I ran a serial cable to a Global Cache IP2SL-P (TCP-IP to Serial over POE). The GC is in the alarm box which also has an Ethernet POE drop.
                    On my server I run a Virtual Serial Port Emulator (VSPE) that automatically starts with the system. I point COM1 to the GC IP addr-port and I'm all connected.

Comment

Working...
                    X