New First Alert smoke alarm not updating

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New First Alert smoke alarm not updating

I just received a new First Alert 2 in 1 smoke/CO alarm. It has z-wave. I was able to pair and sync it. Three devices were created - Notification, BRK Brands Sensor Alarm, and Battery. However, none of those devices have updated at all. It has been installed for over 24 hours. They say 'No Notification', No Status', and '0%'. I have unchecked the option to not update if status has not changed. None of the three devices has a last change timestamp.

Any ideas or tricks to get it to update?

Originally posted by logbuilder View Post
    I just received a new First Alert 2 in 1 smoke/CO alarm. It has z-wave. I was able to pair and sync it. Three devices were created - Notification, BRK Brands Sensor Alarm, and Battery. However, none of those devices have updated at all. It has been installed for over 24 hours. They say 'No Notification', No Status', and '0%'. I have unchecked the option to not update if status has not changed. None of the three devices has a last change timestamp.

Any ideas or tricks to get it to update?
    I just included mine. It has been on the shelf and your post reminded me it was there. I held it about 6in from controller. It came up with the pic below. I also held the test button until it beeped. The bottom device went to ALARM TEST and went through a set of alarm tests (3 beeps each) for the smoke and then the CO. Then it went back to 'no notification'.

Edit: Also when I included it I put in the 2 batteries, put HS in include mode, held down the test button, closed the battery door, then released the test button. Held it like I said about 6in away. It saw it right away after the release of the test button.
    Attached Files

Comment

I just added four more and I believe you need to add them non-secure.
      Try excluding and re-including as noon-secure. The battery notification is erratic, however the Heartbeat Acknowledged will happen ABOUT every 65 minutes give or take a couple of minutes.

It's the Hearbeat Acknowledged that should be the condition/trigger in any events you write. At least that's how I have mine setup.
      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by racerfern View Post
        I just added four more and I believe you need to add them non-secure.
        Try excluding and re-including as noon-secure. The battery notification is erratic, however the Heartbeat Acknowledged will happen ABOUT every 65 minutes give or take a couple of minutes.

It's the Hearbeat Acknowledged that should be the condition/trigger in any events you write. At least that's how I have mine setup.
        Now I am wondering why we got two different sets of device entries. Mine with 'No Notification' and yours with 'Heartbeat Acknowledged'.

I included mine with secure. Is that the difference?

Comment

I included mine with secure. Is that the difference?
          You'll be the first one to know

Comment

First time to pair seemed to work but no device updates at all. Devices were there but no updates. Deleted the devices and from z-wave network. Re-added and again got the devices but no updates. Nothing in the log other than when it was added.

Went into the device in device manager, then into the z-wave tab. The device was not associated with anything. I changed so it was associated with HomeSeer. Now I am getting messages in the log when I test it and the devices are getting status and timestamp.

Not sure if this was an operator error but likely was. Since it only stays on for a limited time, it is hard to get all the configurations done. I found I would have to remove battery and re-add to get some of them to work.

Thanks for inspiring me to keep going.

Comment

It might be worth looking at this thread which may help.

Robert
              HS3PRO 3.0.0.500 as a Fire Daemon service, Windows 2016 Server Std Intel Core i5 PC HTPC Slim SFF 4GB, 120GB SSD drive, WLG800, RFXCom, TI103,NetCam, UltraNetcam3, BLBackup, CurrentCost 3P Rain8Net, MCsSprinker, HSTouch, Ademco Security plugin/AD2USB, JowiHue, various Oregon Scientific temp/humidity sensors, Z-Net, Zsmoke, Aeron Labs micro switches, Amazon Echo Dots, WS+, WD+ ... on and on.

Comment

@langnet

Thanks for the link. I had seen it and skimmed thru it however so much seemed to be about HS2 that I didn't study in detail. Probably should have!

I've been an Insteon guy for years and am just getting into z-wave. So far I've added maybe 10 devices and several were temperamental about pairing and working with HS3. I have an Aeon gen 5 z-stick. Maybe it isn't as forgiving as the older one. With Insteon, I was used to them just working.

Comment

Has anyone seen any documentation on the parameter numbers and values that you can set in z-wave Settings for the First Alert 2 in 1 combo?

Comment

The only one I have been able to find is this statement from the manual.

"The alarm supports configuration parameter #1, which has a size of 1, a default value of 0, and when set to 1 causes the device to send double alarm messages."

Comment

Working...
                    X