Would be nice if Amazon adds Echo location in home

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Would be nice if Amazon adds Echo location in home

Allow an Echo or Dot to be constrained by its location. For example set the location to the bedroom and then the default would be only devices in the bedroom. It would make life easier when controlling commonly named devices like table lamp to NOT need to state the room for Alexa to blither own there is more than one device named table lamp. Pretty certain that isn't an HS fixable enhancement and must be pushed up to Amazon. All in all the skill is pretty darn good and cool - I'm using both skills.
    -Rick

JON's AlexaHelper now supports triggering based upon which Alexa responded to the request.

tenholde
    tenholde

Comment

I also saw a couple of other comments on this topic. Rich asked Amazon for per Echo/Dot tags but got no traction. Someone else (forgot who) has a buddy high up in the Echo development team that asked for this through that route and got feedback sounding more promising. It would be nice for it to be natively supported so it could be used with the API and keep the voice command real short like "Alexa turn on the light." Jon's helper is for the skill so you still have to say "Tell Homeseer."

Comment

Originally posted by jhearty View Post
        I also saw a couple of other comments on this topic. Rich asked Amazon for per Echo/Dot tags but got no traction. Someone else (forgot who) has a buddy high up in the Echo development team that asked for this through that route and got feedback sounding more promising. It would be nice for it to be natively supported so it could be used with the API and keep the voice command real short like "Alexa turn on the light." Jon's helper is for the skill so you still have to say "Tell Homeseer."
        Actually that is not strictly true!

Using the HA bridge you can set up a device called 'light' but not assign it any action. Then with my helper in local mode together with its Echo location function enabled, you can just go in to any room with an Echo/DOT and say for example "Alexa, turn on the light". You just set the actions in my helper depending on the location detected. There is no need to use the HA bridge, however it makes Alexa say OK when you say the command.
        Jon

Comment

Working...
        X