www.homeseer.com    

Go Back   HomeSeer Message Board > Lighting & Primary Technology Plug-ins > Lighting & Primary Technology Discussion > Insteon Plug-in (Mark Sandler)

Insteon Plug-in (Mark Sandler) Discussions related to Mark Sandler's 3rd parth plug-in for controlling Insteon devices via Smarthome's PLM interfaces (the 2412 & 2413 series controllers)

Old March 20th, 2017, 07:06 PM
Seer Master

Every single Insteon device disappeared! Please help!

I have no idea what could have caused this. Please help! HS3 shows only non-Insteon devices in web browser and HSTouch. No, they are not filtered. They are gone. Please tell me there is a way to get everything back the way it was.

Thanks
Old March 20th, 2017, 07:41 PM
Insteon Overlord

please search the forum for restoring the insteon.ini, and homeseer database. I hope you have a recent backup.

HS3 Pro 3.0.0.280
Hardware: Insteon Serial PLM | Vista Alarm 20P with AD2USB | HAI Omnistat2 | 1-Wire HA7E | RFXrec433 | Dahua Cameras | LiftMaster Internet Gateway
Plugins: Insteon 3.0.5.76 (mine) | Vista Alarm (mine) | Omnistat 3 (by Kirby) | Ultra1Wire | RFXCOM | NetCAM | Surveillance Station (kriz83) | MyQ | BLRadar | Jon00 Charting
Platform: HP h8-1360t, Windows Server 2012 R2, i7-3.4GHz, 16GB memory
Old March 20th, 2017, 08:27 PM
Seer Master

Sorry, I searched and found a few threads but still have questions.

I backed up my entire HomeSeer 3 directory before I installed your Siren beta, I think. I have made event and HS3 changes since then so I'd like to not go back that far if I don't have to. With the other threads I found it sounded like most people had to restore both. Is that always the case? Can I just restore insteon.ini?
Old March 20th, 2017, 08:52 PM
Seer Master

Sorry for my impatience. I am continuing to research but don't have much time. So far I think I have learned that I can restore just the insteon.ini, but I may then need to rename all of the devices and redo events because HS adds them as new devices again. Is that correct? There is no way to re-link old insteon.ini with old HS device IDs? Once the devices disappear from the HS interface, one needs to restore a HS database to get those back?
Old March 20th, 2017, 09:16 PM
Seer Master

I found a HS database backup from a few days ago in my HS directory from when I restarted HS. I used that along with the 2 month old insteon.ini file I had. Plopped them in place and everything seems to work at the moment. I only added 1 device to HS since this insteon.ini backup was made, the Siren. Not that I've done much with it, but any way to restore that device to it's original HS ID?
Old March 20th, 2017, 09:38 PM
Seer Master

Never mind about restoring the Siren ID. I'll just add it again. I had to re-add 1 group already and reprogram one event as a result. No biggie. Sorry for the flurry of posts. Surprising how awful it is when 80% of my automation (Insteon) isn't working. I will make more frequent backups for sure. I've use HS2 and HS3 for many years and never had anything like this happen before. I hope it never happens again.
Old March 20th, 2017, 09:49 PM
Insteon Overlord

what caused the lose of your device definitions? a power outage, improper shutdown, or something else

there are triggers and events for creating backups of the insteon.ini as necessary.

you always need to restore the insteon.ini and homeseer database otherwise they will be out of sync and your device ref numbers will change which will break your triggers and events.
Old March 22nd, 2017, 09:01 PM
Seer Master

Hi Mark,

Improper shutdown I suspect. HS3 was locked up and unresponsive for an unknown reason so I had to kill the process. I also killed all of the plugin processes after that since they were still running. I can't recall any of that ever happening before. Hopefully it won't happen again. I still don't understand exactly how insteon.ini can get corrupt in that situation. Reads/writes should take a fraction of a second and neither should've been happening at that time. You don't store any stats in that file, do you? I never actually checked. If so, perhaps a separate stats file would help prevent this. All other plugin/ini config files made it OK through the forced shutdown so I'm puzzled as to why I and others have experienced this with insteon.ini. I also don't understand what is happening under the hood that removes all Insteon devices from HS when this corruption happens. I know good backups are important, but do you think there are any programming changes you could make from your end to prevent this from happening to anyone else?

Yes, I read that you created some events to create backups. That's a nice feature, thank you. Am I correct in assuming that if I use Blade's BLBackup solution that it will cover insteon as well?
Old March 22nd, 2017, 09:05 PM
Insteon Overlord

hs3 manages the ini file (opening, closing, etc). I just read and write to it.

I don't use BLbackup, you will need to ask at that forum.
Old March 22nd, 2017, 09:11 PM
Seer Master

Yes, I read that HS3 manages opening/closing, but if you're writing stats to that file it is opening/closing much more than it needs to IMHO, considering how important the config data is. Stats data, not so important. Again, I am not sure if stats are stored in there or not as I haven't checked and can't right now, but that is why I asked that question.

I'll dig deeper into BLBackup. I just remembered reading about it in another 'corrupt insteon.ini' thread so thought someone here might know.
Old March 22nd, 2017, 10:23 PM
Seer Master

I see now that stats are stored in there. At least it appears that way. Considering the number of Insteon devices that I have, including motion and door sensors, I imagine that file is getting written to often making it more susceptible to corruption. I can't say for certain that a separate stats file would prevent this from happening to anyone else, but from what I've read it may help. What do you think?
Old March 22nd, 2017, 10:40 PM
OverSeer

As an FYI, HS3 used to write to the settings.ini file on a regular basis too and there were many reports of it getting corrupted as well in a similar fashion. I submitted a bugzilla about this suggesting that the item that was written to settings.ini frequently be moved to a different file. That was done recently (it now writes that setting to powerfail.ini) and the number of reports complaining about corruption to settings.ini appear to have diminished significantly.

Cheers
Al
UltraGCIR GC-100|UltraNetcam|UltraPioneer|Ultra1Wire|DSC PC1832|BLLED|BLTVGuide|ImperiHome|jon00 Utilities|MySensors

PHLocation|X10 CM11A IOLinc,etc
Old March 23rd, 2017, 06:44 AM
Insteon Overlord

In short, there is no better solution than a good backup.

I do write the stats to the insteon.ini file every 5 minutes. As mentioned earlier, there is a trigger and action for you to create backups of the insteon.ini as frequently as you want. I don't plan on doing anything further on this topic.