www.homeseer.com    

Go Back   HomeSeer Message Board > HomeSeer Products & Services > HomeSeer Hardware > HomeTroller-SEL

HomeTroller-SEL Discussions related to the HomeTroller-SEL automation controller

Old July 29th, 2017, 02:29 AM
Seer

POE for SEL?

Does anyone know of a POE solution for the SEL?
Old July 29th, 2017, 07:26 AM
OverSeer

Here utilize POE for my tabletop tablets. (Years now)

Power specs for the tablet tablets are:

1.24A/6.2W during startup
1.09A/5.4W with the clock on screen set at lowest brightness
1.40A/7.0W with the clock on screen set at Highest brightness
0.14A/0.7W in STANDBY set by performing a SYSRQ+O

Thinking that the SEL utilizes up to 10 watts.

POE specs today are

PoE+ ==>15 watts
PoE ==> 15.4 watts

Automator

HS3 Pro & Lite
Edition Beta 3.0.0.383 | Ubuntu 16.04 64 bit | Oracle Windows Virtual Box ==> for Wintel only SAPI and HS3 plugins

Old July 29th, 2017, 05:58 PM
Seer

I was hoping someone had already found a POE extractor that would supply 19v with compatible connectors.

If you use high CAT cables and keep them out of cable bundles (for heat dissipation) you can 60W or more over ethernet using off-the-shelf injectors/extractors. But my house is wired CAT-6 and my switch does standard 802.11at so I'd like a standard solution.

My switch is already in a long-run UPS so I'd rather power the SEL indirectly off of it rather than use another UPS or put the SEL in the machine closet (which is probably pretty RFI hostile).
Old July 29th, 2017, 06:23 PM
OverSeer

Historically here went to Tycon standard single 5VDC power splitters then over to TP-Link which were 5-12 VDC injectors using standard POE switches.

The Tycon and TP-Link power splitters are standard POE splitter devices and not the mickey mouse crap power splitters you see on Ebay.

Tycon sells mid stream managed POE switches. These are unique as you only manage the power and nothing else.

I have small 8 and 5 port Tycon regular POE switches which I use and one Tycon 24 port mid span injector. These are constructed much better than many of the popular under $50 POE you see for sale today. I also have 3-4 el cheapo small POE switches which work OK for one connection.

Gigabit Mid Span, 16.8W PoE Injector - 24 port, 1U Rack Mount. IEEE802.3af or Passive PoE Output . 400W

Name:  tycon1.jpg
Views: 56
Size:  35.7 KB

For 19VDC it is more unique but they do exist as supply voltage is 48 or 57VDC.

Did a quickie google and found one. You might have to purchase an additional barrel to barrel connector.

Here for my micro router inside of my Omni Pro can went to using a TP-Link POE splitter with a barrel to microUSB power connector (purchased separately).

Name:  powersplitter.jpg
Views: 55
Size:  58.2 KB

Might be cheaper finding something on Ebay.

Last edited by Pete; July 29th, 2017 at 06:37 PM.
Old August 5th, 2017, 01:30 PM
Seer

I got the Planet POE-171S extractor and it seems to work at set to 19v. It comes with two power cables and one fits the SEL.

For the record the switch is a ZyXel XGS3700-HP with 2' of CAT-6a patch cord from switch to patch panel, roughly 50' of CAT-6 in the wall, then a 30' CAT-6a patch cord to the extractor.
Old August 5th, 2017, 02:08 PM
OverSeer

Glad it worked for you JRV.

Probably in the couple of years 10Gb will commonplace.