Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The plug-in is working fine here with my zone controller so it's in a good state at the moment!
    HS: 2.5.0.60
    Environment: Virtual XP as guest in VMWare Server running under Win 7
    Plug-ins: MLHSPlugin|RCS Serial Thermostat|UltraLog|UltraMon|
    Misc: 303 Devices, 313 Events, 68+ Scripts

HSeer: 3.0.0.54
    Plug-ins: BLGData|BLRF|BLRadar|BLRandom|BLSpeech
    UltraM1G3|UltraECM3|UltraMon3|UPBSpud|Z-Wave
    Misc: 148 Devices, 116 Events, 9+ Scripts (so far, still converting)

Comment

Originally posted by RJ View Post
      Hi Guys-

THE BAD NEWS: We haven't had a zone controller here to test with. I've been coding "in the dark" to a certain extent, so the Zone controller stuff has been hit or miss.

THE GOOD NEWS: We are getting a zone controller from RCS to work with. The plugin is on hiatus until it arrives, but this should help us work out the finer details of communication.
      RJ, Thats great news. I was holding off installing my ZCV4 just in case it was needed for development. Now I'll install it and be able to provide some firsthand feedback.

Frank

Comment

FYI, all thermostats are still returning the same operating mode on the display and when calling GetCurrentMode. That is, for the display, when one thermostat displays "Mode: Auto (First Stage Heat)", specifically the part in parenthesis, all thermostats display the same thing, so there is no way to know which thermostat is actually calling for cooling or heating stage. The same problem exists for GetCurrentMode.

Comment

Im sorry that I have been WAY out of the loop for so long... the GOOD NEWS is that my Homeseer 2.1 machine has been ROCK STABLE!!.. the bad news is i havent even looked at this board for months till today. maybe I can add some insight as to how the Multi ZOne controllers work. and multiple Thermostats..

Yes the old plugin supported multiple Com ports each with a Tstat hanging off of it.. it was not in the UI but was an INI file edit... under the heading for each stat you would have put a comport=x similar to the global settings. this was done before the RS485 hub setups were out. so if you have multiple TR-36's say each had to have a com port...

I had taken the original RCS thermostat plugin and merely modified it for multi zone controllers which caused issues with the com routines as they were all governed by a timer,each in an instance of a collection so 2 stats could theoretically try to read the com port and make a mess.. i never had the time to rewrite this and reality is my work is incredibly Busy.. lets just say I earned 3 free airplane tickets last year in frequent flyer miles... that being said, what I had done to support multi zone controllers was each Zone was entered in as a separate thermostat into the plugin. if you chose a ZC6R type the zone commande was incremented, if you chose a ZCV the Address command was incremented.... so the protocol to the RCS is as follows:

ZC6R type controller.. not sold by RCS anymore but lots still out there.

A=1 Z=1 SP=72 would set zone 1 to 72, heat/ cool set didnt come till later
          A=1 Z=2 SP=72 set zone 2 to 72 and etc up through 6 zones

the ZC6R operated similarly to the older style TR-15 or TR-36 thermostats

now on the ZCVx series controllers the command set is as follows

A=1 SPH=72 would set the heat set to 72 for zone 1
          A=2 SPH=72 would set the heat set to 72 for zone 2
          A=1 SP=72 would set the current set mode setpoint to 72. example if stat is set to cool it would set the coolset to 72, if set in heat it would set the heat setpoint to 72.

in theory (I will try this soon) you should be able to set up your ZCV4 as multiple single thermostats each with a different address matching the addresses of your WDU's in the ZCV and be able to make this work.

how to hang multiple ZCV's off of one com port, using the RCS RS485 HUB you can hook up 2 ZCV controllers... set the addresses for controller 1 at 1,2,3,4 and the addresses for controller 2 at 5,6,7,8 all wired to the same RS232 port on your PC...

in one of the posts I saw referenced made to setting system variables.. the cmdsendcustom in the old plugin was a way to send a custom string to any thermostat specified so that this could be done.

Damper statuses are read by the D1,D2,D3 etc commands, a 1 means power applied to the damper, a 0 means no power applied. the RCS controllers call for normally Open dampers.. so a 0 means the damper is open or that zone is active in some state. or the controller is completely Idle in which all dampers default to 0 or Open.

I hope a little of this helps... im going to say as ive said again that things look to be settling down again at work.. however ive said that several times in the past couple years only to have them heat up again a few weeks after. let me know if I can be of assistance, and I look forward to integrating the new plugin into my rather unusual HVAC system.

By the way I managed to convert a standard Blower furnace into a variable speed unit for about $100 and some code. im willing to share if anyone is interested let me know.
          -Christopher
          PerfecTemp - the Most advanced HVAC system I've ever Built - and its in my House

Comment

Emergency (Aux) Heat not Reported

I'm using the latest RCS Serial Plug-In (2.3.2558.27614), and have found that the "Emergency Heat" mode is not properly reported when it's actually running.

The Device summary reports "EMHT (Off)", even when the 'Emergency' heating is triggered & fan is blowing. Looking directly at the status, I get:
            .GetOperating is False
            .GetCurrentMode is 0

"Normal" heating mode does show a proper status description in the Device, and appropriate values for the .Get requests.

This is for a TR40 that reported all status properly under the "old" Plug-In driver.

** Edit: Moved to a new thread for better visibility **
            Last edited by NutsyHome; January 20, 2007, 03:07 PM.

Comment

Hey Gang-

We finally got our ZCV4, and I have updated the plugin quite a bit. This is still fairly untested, but Zone Controller users will want to give it a try. It is posted at the start of this thread.
              -RJ (HomeSeer Tech)

Comment

Something I just notice with 2.3.2571.17381. On the aspx status page if I select the AUX button nothing happens. Auto, heat, cool, off buttons set the selected mode.

thanks
                jim

Comment

RJ,

Can you update us on the proper way to configure this new version when using a ZCVx? Do we still do individual stats with no controller? Do we still need to script the system state updates?

And I'll *beg* one more time for at least the option of having individual devices for the properties like heat setpoint, current temp, etc.

Please please please please.

Jon

Hey Gang-

We finally got our ZCV4, and I have updated the plugin quite a bit. This is still fairly untested, but Zone Controller users will want to give it a try. It is posted at the start of this thread.
                  Jon Ort
                  JonOrt@The--Orts.com
                  (Remove the dashes in the address, spam is getting out of hand)

Comment

I had to create a script that runs one a minute to set my own devices to get similiar functionality as the last plug in, especially if you want another plug in to be able to read a device. It is a bit of a pain, but it is a workaround.

Originally posted by Oman View Post
                    RJ,

Can you update us on the proper way to configure this new version when using a ZCVx? Do we still do individual stats with no controller? Do we still need to script the system state updates?

And I'll *beg* one more time for at least the option of having individual devices for the properties like heat setpoint, current temp, etc.

Please please please please.

Jon

Comment

Hi Guys-

To use a ZCV with this version, you need to configure the thermostat as a ZCV controller. You can do this on the plugin configuration page.

All old Zone Controllers are imported as ZC6R's, so that functionality does not change. You can now edit a thermostat's type, with a new dropdown when you configure the thermostat.

On the separate devices issue, I do have a few comments. I need to rework how the zone controller handles devices, there will be a device for the controller plus one device per zone.

As far as creating multiple devices per zone or standalone thermostat, we are still not planning on implementing this. Basically, it clutters the status page and complicates creating and editing events. Why do you need seven devices, when you can create a plugin event? Rather than using the devices, simply use the thermostat plugin events. The thermostat API provides all the functionality that is needed from scripting.
                      -RJ (HomeSeer Tech)

Comment

I appreciate your input but I fundamentally disagree:

I strongly believe that the power of HomeSeer is *in the fact* that is has the ability to represent many things in a standardized way - devices. A piece of hardware or an input or a state can be broken down into devices that can be used in a standard way.

90% of the custom triggers, conditions, API, and actions could be eliminated in the thermostat plug-in if it were represented as a set of devices.

With devices I can adjust the heat set point 10 ways instead of just one. With devices I can copy the current temp out to my LCD display without having to parse out a giant string. With devices I get the needed, wanted, and beneficial separation between where the data comes from and how I use it. With devices I can hide the data that is irrelevant to me. With devices the information that controls and represents my environment is in logical ordered pieces that can be processed and shared quickly and easily.

The more we move away from this powerful and flexible method of consolidating the various pieces of information the less value HomeSeer brings to the table.

You mentioned the status screen. How is a long string of information jumbled together about the thermostat on the status screen, or having to move to an entirely different screen with a picture of a thermostat better than 3 or 4 simple devices showing the critical thermostat information?

Jon

Hi Guys-

To use a ZCV with this version, you need to configure the thermostat as a ZCV controller. You can do this on the plugin configuration page.

All old Zone Controllers are imported as ZC6R's, so that functionality does not change. You can now edit a thermostat's type, with a new dropdown when you configure the thermostat.

On the separate devices issue, I do have a few comments. I need to rework how the zone controller handles devices, there will be a device for the controller plus one device per zone.

As far as creating multiple devices per zone or standalone thermostat, we are still not planning on implementing this. Basically, it clutters the status page and complicates creating and editing events. Why do you need seven devices, when you can create a plugin event? Rather than using the devices, simply use the thermostat plugin events. The thermostat API provides all the functionality that is needed from scripting.
                        Jon Ort
                        JonOrt@The--Orts.com
                        (Remove the dashes in the address, spam is getting out of hand)

Comment

I tried the new version (2.3.2571.17381) today, and cannot get my ZCV4 configured correctly. I had been using earlier versions of the plug-in with my two Stats setup as standalone. That seemed to work fine with RJ's recent updates to the plugin. Today, I decided to try and configure the plugin as an actual ZCV. The problems seem to arise when I attempt to add Zones to the controller. I can successfully add the zone via "Edit Zone", but when I "Update Thermostat", I get a browser error on the aspx page. When I go back or refresh, I find that I have a duplicate named zone (2 of the same names that I just tried to create). When I try to "Edit Zone" on one of them, it changes both of them. When I try to "Delete Zone" on one of them, it deletes both of them.

Here is an example of the error that appears in the log when this happens:

1/24/2007 12:20:25 PM RCS Serial Thermostats Error in RemoveZone Index was out of range. Must be non-negative and less than the size of the collection.Parameter name: index

In addition, it looks like the "Hold" functionality was moved from the individual Stat to the ZCV Controller. I may be interpreting this incorrectly, but it would seem that you would want to be able to "Hold" temperature on an individual Stat and not necessarily on a system wide basis.

RJ... Any thoughts?
                          Last edited by automateme; January 24, 2007, 03:58 PM.

Comment

One main reason to used devices is that in at least one case, it is the only way to get the data into another plug in. Devices are sort of a universal way of getting data from one plug-in to the next. I also group all my devices by room so I can view the state of everything in the room at a glance, and up until now, I could quickly control everything in that room. Obviously the workaround is to now create a custom web page to control all the devices, and use the thermostats APIs. Or better yet, complete my unfinished MainLobby project. Obviously we can make do, it is just more work.

Hi Guys-

Comment

Hi Guys-

I talked with Rich Helmke, and for now we are sticking with one device. Bear in mind, for scripting, you should use the thermostat API rather than parsing the device string.

automateme- I think you are right, and will work on this for the next build. Also, Instead of clicking "update thermostat," click "update zone" first. That should do the trick.
                              -RJ (HomeSeer Tech)

Comment

I too need individual devices, this is going to cuase me to have to rebuild ALL my mainlobby scenes, rewrite a BUNCH of scripts and my companion HVAC controller program that used hs.devicevalue instead of "rcs.gettemp" to read temperatures, setpoints etc... I just dont see what the problem is in creating separate devices for each zone.

sounds Like I need to ressurect the old plugin project from the grave and rewrite the comms routine to be more reliable then we can have our separate devices...

seems quite a few of us want that functionality so why not add it in. I think most people create their own status pages anyway or are using ML , touchpad, or ultraview so it doesnt seem like "cluttering" the page is an issue here.

events are great but when populating custom status screens or wanting other plugins or such to use data from the RCS.. now we will have to have a script to go in and do all these read commands and manually populate devices which seems totally unneccesary and redundant!
                                -Christopher
                                PerfecTemp - the Most advanced HVAC system I've ever Built - and its in my House

Comment

Working...
                                X