This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Status Icons!

We updating our HS2/HSPRO status icons to enhance status views for the web interface (and HSTouch). The new icons will be twice as large (32 x 32) and will be png images. However, an upcoming release will allow users to scale the images to whatever size they want. If you're a longtime user and prefer the older icons, that's fine too.

Anyway, we're looking for a little feedback. Here's a screenshot of some of the new icons.

-------------------
    9/21/2009 Edit. I've attached the new icons to this post. Just backup your existing icons first and then unzip HS-New-Icons.zip and copy the icons into that folder.
    Attached Files
    💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Any web gui improvement to homeseer is always welcome by me

I'd prefer as much CSS based manipulation as possible, thus allowing as much or as little customization as the user wants. Have a look at how vastly different pages can look at zengarden.com and all with the same html, only the stylesheet is changing, it's pretty amazing.

There are a bunch of basic annoyances that I've found with the web interface. If you're serious about revamping the web interface I'd be happy to share what and how to fix it up.

I like the new icons, I've been wishing for better eye candy for quite some time...
    Joe (zimmer62)

BLSecurtiy, AC-RF2, RCS Serial Thermostats, RFXCOM SMarthome SwitchLinc, mcsXap, Global Cache GC100, SqueezeBox, TWA_ONKYOINTEGRA, BLLogMonitor, BLPlugins, BLRadar, BLSpeech, BLZLog.aspx, HSTouch (Windows, iPhone, iPod), USB Mimo touchscreens, VMWare Server, Vortexbox, Windows Home Server, MyMovies, Windows Media Center, X10, ZWave, and much much much more.

Comment

Mark,

Will the older graphic files still be in gif format? I only ask because png files were not correctly supported in IE6 or lower and other older browsers such as that used on the Audrey.
      Jon

Comment

Originally posted by zimmer62 View Post
        Any web gui improvement to homeseer is always welcome by me

I'd prefer as much CSS based manipulation as possible, thus allowing as much or as little customization as the user wants. Have a look at how vastly different pages can look at zengarden.com and all with the same html, only the stylesheet is changing, it's pretty amazing.

There are a bunch of basic annoyances that I've found with the web interface. If you're serious about revamping the web interface I'd be happy to share what and how to fix it up.

I like the new icons, I've been wishing for better eye candy for quite some time...
        Joe - any feedback/suggestions you have would be welcome.

Originally posted by jon00 View Post
        Mark,

Will the older graphic files still be in gif format? I only ask because png files were not correctly supported in IE6 or lower and other older browsers such as that used on the Audrey.
        Jon - gifs are still supported. In fact, the png icons are still named as gif files.

Comment

I really hate to say this..... But, those icons look dated. However, you could argue that they'd fit the web UI better since it has a bit of a retro thing that takes you back to the pre-CSS days!

Comment

Originally posted by scriptx View Post
            I really hate to say this..... But, those icons look dated. However, you could argue that they'd fit the web UI better since it has a bit of a retro thing that takes you back to the pre-CSS days!
            The beauty is you can use any icons you want and replace these if you desire. Design some new ones and share them here. There are plenty available that many us use and here's a good starting place:
            http://www.x10.crevier.org/homeseer/icons/
            http://www.engineeringplastics.com/H...FrankPerricone

Comment

Originally posted by scriptx View Post
              Please feel free to provide some 'undated' examples that you would prefer to see in the program.

Comment

Originally posted by jon00 View Post
                Mark,

That was my question!
                Tasker, to a person who does Homeautomation...is like walking up to a Crack Treatment facility with a truck full of 3lb bags of crack. Then for each person that walks in and out smack them in the face with an open bag.

Comment

Win 3.1

Well, after the drubbing Scriptx took I'm almost afraid to say anything, but you did ask.

These Icons would have looked old in the days of Windows 95. They are flat, boring 8-bit looking graphics. no shadows, no gradients, no depth.

If you need examples of good icons, look at the home screen of an iPhone or iPod touch. Many of the apps have easily recognized, easily understandable, attractive icons that convey depth and texture.

My suggestion, meant in the kindest way, is to "Know thy limitations." Go find a freelance graphic artist that specializes in UI (there should be plenty around with the downtrend in new web 2.0 sites) and have him design some icons for you. The Homeseer wepage is the main portal for most of us using your program, it deserves some professionally designed icons.

Edit: here are just a few examples of what I mean (I know they arent the right size, just trying to show depth, gloss, etc)(hope origial owners won't mind).

Hope I didn't offend, just trying to help make Homeseer great.
                  Nick

P.s. an option might be to investigate the .ico format, as it allows multiple resolutions and sizes of one image file packed into one file (although its been a decade since I worked in any web/tech based field so I have no idea how IE handles them in the body of the page and I doubt Audrey would like them either).
                  Last edited by nick_l; September 1, 2009, 05:18 PM. Reason: add some examples.

Comment

There are plenty nice and free icons here:

http://www.iconarchive.com/

Marty

Comment

I think to use these, the graphics of the HS web interface should be greatly improved. These are a bit fancy and clash with the simple HS interface.

With that said, perhaps a better route would be to pull together a "theme" structure where users can develop and easily load themes. I bet that would yield a lot more options and some really nice interfaces.

While on the topic, I am also wondering if there is a way to have icons placed up in the top HS info bar above the buttons? Specifically, I would like an indicator there for when I have phone messages and how may new messages. That way I don't have to go the the phone tab to find out. Can this be done somehow?

Originally posted by nick_l View Post
                      Well, after the drubbing Scriptx took I'm almost afraid to say anything, but you did ask.

These Icons would have looked old in the days of Windows 95. They are flat, boring 8-bit looking graphics. no shadows, no gradients, no depth.

If you need examples of good icons, look at the home screen of an iPhone or iPod touch. Many of the apps have easily recognized, easily understandable, attractive icons that convey depth and texture.

My suggestion, meant in the kindest way, is to "Know thy limitations." Go find a freelance graphic artist that specializes in UI (there should be plenty around with the downtrend in new web 2.0 sites) and have him design some icons for you. The Homeseer wepage is the main portal for most of us using your program, it deserves some professionally designed icons.

Edit: here are just a few examples of what I mean (I know they arent the right size, just trying to show depth, gloss, etc)(hope origial owners won't mind).

Hope I didn't offend, just trying to help make Homeseer great.
                      Nick

P.s. an option might be to investigate the .ico format, as it allows multiple resolutions and sizes of one image file packed into one file (although its been a decade since I worked in any web/tech based field so I have no idea how IE handles them in the body of the page and I doubt Audrey would like them either).

Comment

Originally posted by heatvent View Post
                        I think to use these, the graphics of the HS web interface should be greatly improved. These are a bit fancy and clash with the simple HS interface.

With that said, perhaps a better route would be to pull together a "theme" structure where users can develop and easily load themes. I bet that would yield a lot more options and some really nice interfaces.
                        This is exactly what HSTouch allows you to do. Yo do not have to run HSTouch on a touchscreen, it works equally as well on a normal monitor.

Comment

maybe i missed it... but are these out yet? if so where can we get them from?
                          HW - i5 4570T @2.9ghz runs @11w | 8gb ram | 128gb ssd OS - Win10 x64

HS - HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.435

Plugins - BLRF 2.0.94.0 | Concord 4 3.1.13.10 | HSBuddy 3.9.605.5 | HSTouch Server 3.0.0.68 | RFXCOM 30.0.0.36 | X10 3.0.0.36 | Z-Wave 3.0.1.190

Hardware - EdgePort/4 DB9 Serial | RFXCOM 433MHz USB Transceiver | Superbus 2000 for Concord 4 | TI103 X-10 Interface | WGL Designs W800 RF | Z-Net Z-Wave Interface

Comment

Originally posted by TeleFragger View Post
                            maybe i missed it... but are these out yet? if so where can we get them from?
                            If you are talking about the new icons they come with any new HomeSeer build after 2.3.19.

Comment

Originally posted by Rupp View Post
                              If you are talking about the new icons they come with any new HomeSeer build after 2.3.19.
                              I haven't been following the beta forum lately but when should we expect a new "official" release of HS??

Comment

Working...
                              X