myHomeSeer Login Types

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

myHomeSeer Login Types

I am confused by the myHomeSeer login and login types. What I want to do is have one main account for local and admin access and another for a guest connecting to the same computer. I want the guest to have control over the common area lights, etc but no access to the administrative controls.

I set up my admin #1 account online and in HS3 using an email address for username. I was able to login from an Android phone fine.

Next I created a regular user login #2 through HS3 (Setup > Network) to see what it did and that's when I started having trouble. I could not login from my Android phone with the new login or the Admin account. I switched my regular account to Admin and now when I login using the email address #1 it defaults to the #2 username.

I created a guest account #3 through HS3. When I logged in from my Android all I could do was see a few things and could not control anything. My local PC & remote PC also defaulted to this guest login (they were on the same wifi) so I was basically locked into guest mode.

I got back in after following lockout instructions on the site but what do I need to change so that I can achieve my goal above? Should I use a regular or guest account?

I am locked out again. My main login now defaults to a guest account and the guest account that was working a few days ago no longer works. UGH!

I have also noticed that you can access admin settings when logged in as a regular user in some areas like modules and scenes.

Comment

Still no success. Any help with this issue? Multiple accounts don't seem to be working even with a premium subscription. I still get stuck in guest mode when on the local connection and have to delete the users.

Comment

Since I just purchased the Remote Access Premium Service on 11/6, I called today for support. You do need the premium service to have more than 1 default user which is the email used to register for myHomeSeer remote access using the HSTouch application.

Unfortunately it is not possible to have the user access level setup that Macromark demonstrated in his recent YouTube video due to some existing software bugs.

I wanted one access level for me as an Admin that shows everything and one for the iPad in Kitchen (and for guests) that only shows and allows use of the common area devices (no log or event access). I can get one or the other but not both (ie the iPad shows correct but when I login with a different Admin profile from HSTouch on my Android phone it only shows the iPad profile).
        Last edited by Planetview; November 12, 2015, 08:02 PM. Reason: To clarify, item added is underlined.

Comment

Stuff I learned today that might be helpful to others:

1. There must be one local account in Tool > Setup > Network tab > Web/HSTouch User Settings.

2. If you have more than one user with Local user rights it will cause problems and randomly pick one of the profiles when using myHomeSeer remote login.

3. If you do not have a user with Local user rights then you will be logged in as a Guest (view only of a few items such as devices) when using myHomeSeer remote login.

4. The "Local" user right does not refer to the local network but which user profile is loaded when you login through myHomeSeer from myHomeSeer remote login.

5. Once you are logged in using myHomeSeer remote login, you cannot logout (tools > Logout) from your web interface and select another user profile like you can do on the local network.

6. If you have Premium Remote Access Subscription and create a new user from the manage account option with the first letter being lower case, the system will automatically create a new user in your HS3 system BUT the first letter will be capitalized in HS3 (Tool > Setup > Network tab > Web/HSTouch User Settings). The new user will also have user rights of No Access and that needs to be changed in your HS3 system. This is one of the bugs reported and verified by HomeSeer support today.

7. Once you make any changes to user rights or access levels (including for individual devices) you must manually restart HS3. This is one of the bugs reported and verified by HomeSeer support today.

8. You MUST clear the device running the HSTouch software when you make changes, exiting through menu is not enough since it is still running in the background. Use the recent applications menu on Android and swipe away the HSTouch screens (lower right side of device that brings up all recently used windows). On iPad double click the menu button and swipe up to remove HSTouch screens. This clearing procedure will force HSTouch to reload the profile and you may be required to login to HSTouch again.

Comment

The third bug found and verified by Homeseer today is that "Event Access" is always provided to a remote access user even if the box allowing access is not checked (HS3 >Tools > Setup > Network tab > Web/HSTouch User Settings).

I tried HSTouch Server Plugin versions 3.0.0.68, 3.0.0.75 & 3.0.0.78 (BETA) for all of these issues. So all I can do now is wait to see if they get resolved.

Comment

What a mess...

It seems as though you should be paid as a homeseer QA engineer since you have found about a million bugs in one day for them. Do they even have QA on their dev team?

I too have had almost all of these problems today, so looks like no progress in fixing any of them in the past month.

I am becoming more and more pissed every time I try to do anything on homeseer. I purchased it about a month ago, and have since learned the following about it:

1. Its way too expensive for beta software.
              2. The UI looks like it was built by a high school student taking their first HTML course.
              3. Anything worthwhile using in the plugins will cost you a small fortune. I mean seriously, anyone heard of open source? Better software will be developed in faster time frame if anyone gave that a shot around here. I suppose I shouldn't be too surprised, the target audience is a bunch of .NET guys. Microsoft breeds closed source. Look at MicaseVerde. Not a single paid plugin over there, and there are hundreds of them.
              5. These guys may have been the only good option 5 years ago, but are about to be rolled over by a freight train of competitors. There are competitors kicking out WORKING hubs and software in a matter of a year, and these guys seem to work on a promised feature for at least that long before abandoning it and moving on due to some newer cooler idea. I read about an abandoned project earlier today in fact. And they had the nerve to say that it wouldn't drive enough sales, yet many people were promised that feature when they purchased. Seems like one of those companies who will say anything to get you in the door.

Its too bad nothing works here, and I spent a whole lot of money to find that out.

Comment

I know what you're saying, I have been there. I was there last week when my z-wave network, start going crazy but it is still a really good HA software, if not the best out there. I've read the vera, smartthings, and other HA forums and they are all have a LOT more HA growing pains than here. HA is a "growing" space and there is trial and error with what is the best why do things. Right now z-wave is the most popular, but it has its flaws, and maybe something better will come out.

Originally posted by smikkelsen View Post
                1. Its way too expensive for beta software.
                It is can be pricey if you buy when not on sale, but it is competitive when you consider what else is out there, and how much hs can really do. The options are almost endless it seems.

2. The UI looks like it was built by a high school student taking their first HTML course.
                For sure, the HSTouch needs major work, and HS is definitely loosing business to smartthing and others with better UI's. Having said that once you pass the learning curve of HSTouch Designer, it can do a LOT. I'm amazed as a non-programmer type how much I can do.

3. Anything worthwhile using in the plugins will cost you a small fortune. I mean seriously, anyone heard of open source? Better software will be developed in faster time frame if anyone gave that a shot around here. I suppose I shouldn't be too surprised, the target audience is a bunch of .NET guys. Microsoft breeds closed source. Look at MicaseVerde. Not a single paid plugin over there, and there are hundreds of them.
                Yes, definitely plugins can get expensive. But I've been doing a lot without plugins thanks to Randy's Event Clinic. There are a lot of
                free scripts( Sparkman(Al) door lock, Wadenuts-Random Lights, Mosku, tenholder and many more.

Free Plugins - Many use and depend on them daily.
                Jon00: you can have a field day at Jon00 site. Everything and anything there for free(donation if you find it useful). He spend lot of time making new ones almost all the time and maintains old ones really well.
                Blade(Bob): BLbackup, BLoccupied, BLcpu, etc. Several more free ones.
                Adam's Pushover- This one I can not live without. Superfast and free. Super Nice guy too! This plugin should be part of HS I think. Emails is too slow.
                CFGuys(Jeff): WeatherXML is unbelievable!, he has a TV one coming out, and couple of others.

I slowly moved up to a few paid plugins and only did this when I realized with was really needed and more cost effective to have rather than do events/scripts.
                Also some of these plugin were requested by users who were willing to pay for a plugin that interfaced with a third party device or had various features. When you see the hundreds of questions these authors have to answer to fix issues, add features, and the time they spend developing the plugin it is a reasonable price.

5. These guys may have been the only good option 5 years ago, but are about to be rolled over by a freight train of competitors. There are competitors kicking out WORKING hubs and software in a matter of a year, and these guys seem to work on a promised feature for at least that long before abandoning it and moving on due to some newer cooler idea. I read about an abandoned project earlier today in fact. And they had the nerve to say that it wouldn't drive enough sales, yet many people were promised that feature when they purchased. Seems like one of those companies who will say anything to get you in the door.
                The owner Rich, seems to really take pride in his work and seems to care. That's just my take, even though I've had many HA growing pains myself.
                Here is what a old timer on who has been with HA since 1998 said just today.
                Originally posted by Andy View Post
                I've been using HS since 1998 and remember a little company "Keware" with a program called Autohome (ever wonder why the HS1 log file was ah.txt?) then they started calling themselves "HomeSeer". Rich, the founder, was a one man show. We had an old bulletin/message board and when you reported a bug, Rich himself would email you a new version to try!

I've seen many Home Automation Software Packages come and go but HS continues to move to the top of the list. Revenue is a driving factor to support growth and address concerns raised here. I, for one, will not be surprised when I read that HST has been purchased/merged with another company to support growth of the product.

Some times I too am like when the next feature or gadget coming out. Today when I read this thread I was like wow, HS did quite a lot this year.
                http://board.homeseer.com/showpost.p...55&postcount=1

In the end I think if you're patient you'll see this HA beats others in features and options. There are several former vera and smartthing members here.
                Tom
                baby steps...starting again with HS3
                HS3Pro: Z-NET & 80 Z wave Devices,
                HSTouch: 4 Joggler (Android Kitkat), 2 iPhone, 3 iPads
                Whole House Audio: 5 SqueezePlay Jogglers w Bose Speakers
                In The Works: 10 Cameras Geovision, new Adecmo/Envisalink Alarm, Arduinos
                System: XP on Fanless Mini-ITX w/ SSD

Comment

+1 to all of that. A couple of weeks ago, The CFO and I convinced my company to purchase a Homeseer system. The CFO calculated an average annual savings of $6000 on our heating/air conditioning bill. So the first year's savings pays for all the stuff we purchased.

- Robert

Comment

Hi Planetview, hopefully you're still subscribed to or are watching this thread. I notice that what you posted about issues with myHomeSeer login types was from a few months ago (October, 2015). You've also answered a couple of other posts I've made that related to this same topic.

Question, did any/all of the issues you were having get resolved??? I see where you've posted some observations about what happens if you have this or that type of login (Local, admin, whatever). But I didn't see anything about this or that being fixed, resolved or whatever. Any resolutions??? Or are things still just as you described which, to me, sounded like some things were pretty broken.

And would you say the video you linked where Macromark showed how to set different access levels for different users still does not work as shown in that video???

In other words, has anything changed for the better from what you posted back in October???

I have another, related question but I will ask this one first and if I get any answers I will follow up with what I'm really driving toward which is to set up my first account in myHS (still have not done so because I'm still confused on some things). So are things still like they were in October or has any new knowledge been gathered or any HS3 fixes been deployed???

thanks... bob

Comment

Originally posted by Planetview View Post
                      The third bug found and verified by Homeseer today is that "Event Access" is always provided to a remote access user even if the box allowing access is not checked (HS3 >Tools > Setup > Network tab > Web/HSTouch User Settings).

I tried HSTouch Server Plugin versions 3.0.0.68, 3.0.0.75 & 3.0.0.78 (BETA) for all of these issues. So all I can do now is wait to see if they get resolved.
                      It seems as if this bug still exists.

Comment

Working...
                      X