Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This Z-wave doorbell:

http://aeotec.com/z-wave-doorbell

does anyone know how this works - is it a separate button and speaker, 2 normal z-wave devices which can be used independently by any custom Z-wave events through HS3, or can they only work together (pre-connected somehow)?

There were some folks on the board that got it and reported terrible range and random tones when there was no button pressed.

I really never understood how making a simple Z-Wave doorbell could be so difficult.
    HS4Pro on a Raspberry Pi4
    54 Z-Wave Nodes / 21 Zigbee Devices / 108 Events / 767 Devices
    Plugins: Z-Wave / Zigbee Plus / EasyTrigger / AK Weather / OMNI

HSTouch Clients: 1 Android

Comment

Originally posted by rmasonjr View Post
      There were some folks on the board that got it and reported terrible range and random tones when there was no button pressed.
      Ah! Is there a better device you can suggest - perhaps a separate (outdoor-rated) button and a device that can make pre-recorded sounds upon Z-wave command? I've had a heck of a time with Airplay type of devices, the plugin doesn't seem to work very well. I think I just need some output devices that can be issued Z-wave commands to play specific tones. Recommendations?

Comment

I haven't had any any problems with the doorbell button but it's literally right on the other side of the wall from where the doorbell is. You can also force it to play different sounds by sending it a command to its parameters so I also have it do a buzzer if my basement door opens.

The problems
        it's really not very loud
        The remote button is not zwave
        You have to edit a parameter for it to send feedback on remote button pushes.

Comment

> The remote button is not zwave

Is that right - the remote button does not trigger a Z-wave event that can be used to trigger other actions? Is there some other way to have another event activated when the doorbell is rung?

Comment

I bought one of these and it was awful, so the seller exchanged it for another one. It's perfect.

The bell button itself is not zwave. The first unit couldn't get through one wall. The replacement works from across the house (four walls) if I want.

The new unit plays a tone when a door opens (event in HS) and a different tone when the doorbell button is pushed.

I don't have it setup, but the bell is a simple on/off command. So if the button is pressed, the bell will ring and you could start a series of events based on the fact the bell rung, not the fact the button got pressed.
            Last edited by racerfern; February 14, 2017, 07:12 AM. Reason: further explanation

Comment

> The new unit plays a tone when a door opens (event in HS) and a different tone when the doorbell button is pushed.

sorry, how does it know the door opened?

Comment

There is a Sigma Door Sensor on each of the doors. When the door sensor sees not closed it triggers the event to ring the bell.

Note that this has nothing at all to do with someone actually pressing the door bell. I don't use an event for that, it simply rings the bell.

You can have quite a few tones and set parameter 6 to play a different tone depending on which door is opened.
                Attached Files
                Last edited by racerfern; February 14, 2017, 07:38 AM. Reason: add pic

Comment

Originally posted by racerfern View Post
                  if the button is pressed, the bell will ring and you could start a series of events based on the fact the bell rung, not the fact the button got pressed.
                  can you show the rule - how do you code the sensing of the fact that the bell rung?

Comment

Sorry for the delay, I had to get home to test.

I can definitely get an action when the doorbell button is pressed. Unfortunately, it's the same action when the door is opened because I have door sensors that have an event to also ring the bell. So if you do not have a door sensor this will activate as soon as the door bell button is pushed.

If you do have a door sensor and the door opens AND you use the door sensor to trigger a different sound on the bell, you will also get the following action because you set parameter 6 to the tone number you want to play. Then the bell triggers ON.

But without a door sensor, ringing the doorbell with the button, will initiate whatever event you conjure up.

I suppose if you had a second doorbell, one could be for the door bell button and the other could be programmed for different sounds based on sensors.
                    Attached Files

Comment

There are quite a few parameters that can be set so I'm sure much more can be done than my simple mind can handle.

https://s3.amazonaws.com/cdn.freshde...lication%2Fpdf

Comment

Aeon Labs Doorbell was disappointing and problematic

I have had one for about a year. Tried several times to get it to work and it functions intermittently. About 20 feet between push and bell. You have to be willing to push the bell-push several times to find the 'sweet spot' to get it to ring. Aeon Labs tech support suggested padding the battery compartment to get better contact. Sort of worked. Now its winter and the push just died. We have temperatures averaging -20 Celsius and occasionally down to -40. Started failing around zero.

Installed a Ring Pro doorbell and it works just fine, only challenge is linking to Homeseer via IFTTT, since often the Homeseer event triggers 20+ minutes later, totally useless for a doorbell.

Comment

You have to be willing to push the bell-push several times to find the 'sweet spot' to get it to ring.
                          This was part of the problem with my first unit. The replacement is spot on and rings on the slightest touch to the button.

Comment

Originally posted by racerfern View Post
                            There are quite a few parameters that can be set so I'm sure much more can be done than my simple mind can handle.

https://s3.amazonaws.com/cdn.freshde...lication%2Fpdf
                            that link doesn't seem to work - can you check it pls.

Comment

Originally posted by crossedswords View Post
                              You have to be willing to push the bell-push several times to find the 'sweet spot' to get it to ring. Aeon Labs tech support suggested padding the battery compartment to get better contact. Sort of worked. Now its winter and the push just died.
                              since we can send Z-wave commands to the doorbell, presumably then we can buy any other Z-wave button device and set a rule to serve as the trigger? Anyone know an outdoor-rated Z-wave button fob?

Comment

Working...
                              X