www.homeseer.com    

Go Back   HomeSeer Message Board > HomeSeer Products & Services > HomeSeer Hardware > HomeTroller-SEL

HomeTroller-SEL Discussions related to the HomeTroller-SEL automation controller

Old May 3rd, 2017, 11:04 AM
Seer Deluxe

SEL won't restart on power restore

My SEL used to restart automatically after a power outage returns power to the SEL.

But I just discovered it no longer does so. Anyone know why this has happened or what controls the auto restart?

-------------------------------------------------------
Current Date/Time: 5/3/2017 9:41:41 PM
HomeSeer Version: HS3 Standard Edition 3.0.0.318
Linux version: Linux hometrollerSEL 3.16.0-031600-generic #201408031935 SMP Sun Aug 3 23:56:17 UTC 2014 i686 i686 i686 GNU/Linux System Uptime: 0 Days 0 Hours 8 Minutes 33 Seconds
IP Address: 192.168.100.101
Number of Devices: 187
Number of Events: 171
Available Threads: 199

Enabled Plug-Ins
2.0.35.0: BLLAN
3.0.0.5: CM15A
1.0.0.0: drhsEventEnabler
3.0.0.103: HSTouch Server
3.0.4.2: SDJ-Health
3.0.5917.35093: UltraLog3
3.0.1.110: Z-Wave
Old May 3rd, 2017, 11:17 AM
HomeSeer Technologies

Pretty sure that's a setting in the hardware BIOS. That's not something I would expect to change suddenly though; odd. Contact our support folks for help with that.

website | products | support | youtube
Old May 3rd, 2017, 11:27 AM
Seer Deluxe

Quote:
Originally Posted by macromark View Post
Pretty sure that's a setting in the hardware BIOS. That's not something I would expect to change suddenly though; odd. Contact our support folks for help with that.
I should have added that it happened after my SEL had another of it's gmail caused HS3 crashes. I really need to do something about using another email system.

However, this time when I turned the power off and on as I usually do, it wouldn't boot up.

I connected a screen to check what was going on and there was a disk error. First time I've had that occur. Fixed that, then it reported mono-sgen had stopped unexpectedly. I assumed that it was related to the disk error. Rebooted several times after that and it looked fine.

Next I tried turning the power off then on, and that is when I discovered that the SEL was not restarting automatically.
Old May 3rd, 2017, 11:47 AM
Seer Deluxe

Thanks for your pointer anyway. It's fixed now.

Hope the disk error stays away and is not a sign of a deteriorating SSD.
Old May 4th, 2017, 05:09 PM
OverSeer

In Linux you can force a disk check while it is booting or boot up with a USB / ISO disk checking disk which will do an external check of the SSD.

Automator

HS3 Pro & Lite
Edition Beta 3.0.0.383 | Ubuntu 16.04 64 bit | Oracle Windows Virtual Box ==> for Wintel only SAPI and HS3 plugins

Old May 4th, 2017, 11:48 PM
Seer Deluxe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete View Post
In Linux you can force a disk check while it is booting or boot up with a USB / ISO disk checking disk which will do an external check of the SSD.
Thanks for the pointer Pete. So I take it you permanently leave the USB ISO disk plugged in as a fail safe?

Where can I get the ISO file?
Old May 5th, 2017, 12:03 PM
OverSeer

No.

A bootable USB / ISO is only utilized for repair of the main hard drive and only if needed.

It just boots up to either a wintel or Linux desk top with disk repair utilities.

This is a last resort fix if forcing a disk check doesn't fix the hard drive.

Here is my favorite that I have used recently.

Boot-Repair-disk

Using Linux/Windows tools you can write the ISO to a USB stick. I have not burned a CD / DVD in many years now.

In Linux it is a bit different. You configure a forced disk check in the boot sequence where as it checks the disk before booting the OS (or mounting the hard drive).
Old May 6th, 2017, 12:34 AM
Seer Deluxe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete View Post
No.

A bootable USB / ISO is only utilized for repair of the main hard drive and only if needed.

It just boots up to either a wintel or Linux desk top with disk repair utilities.

This is a last resort fix if forcing a disk check doesn't fix the hard drive.

Here is my favorite that I have used recently.

Boot-Repair-disk

Using Linux/Windows tools you can write the ISO to a USB stick. I have not burned a CD / DVD in many years now.

In Linux it is a bit different. You configure a forced disk check in the boot sequence where as it checks the disk before booting the OS (or mounting the hard drive).
Great! Thanks for the tips Pete.