Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Setup Problem or My Lack of Understanding the Task steps to turn a HS3 device On

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Setup Problem or My Lack of Understanding the Task steps to turn a HS3 device On

Noob to Tasker Plugin with a problem getting started.

Problem:
    I am having trouble getting my first tasker routine to turn "on" or "off" a device in homeseer as a "first test". I think it is my lack of understanding the steps needed to complete the task to communicate a command properly to HS3. Maybe one simple additional step?

Setup:
    The Tasker plugin seems to be communicating with HS3 system. I get "successful" when doing the connection setup process in Tasker on S7 phone. When I run debug from the Tasker app I get "successful" speaking from my HomeSeer3 System and that leads me to believe my setup is correct.
    I tried SSL checked and unchecked.
    I do have multiple routers in my home but made sure that I was connected to the same router that my HS3 system is Lan cable connected to. If I connect to another of the routers I do get the "successful" speak from th HS3 System when I run Debug.
    443 is port forwarded to my homeseer local IP address.
    I looked in router log after running the task but nothing looked wrong. I think there were two lines of info.
    I am also using MyHomeseer account and HSTouch/Designer successfully on my Phone.
    When I turn off my wifi on phone and run debug, I don't get "successful" speak from HS3 system. I assume this is a connection issue I'll need to work out later.
    I tried with AVG turned off on HS3 system as well as firewall turned off.

Tasks:
    I decided there must be a task step I was missing so I cloned the debug task and added at the end, the steps I think are required to turn my test device on/off. I still get the "successful" speak coming through to the HS3 system but nothing else. In the homeseer log I see the speak line but nothing for the command to turn device "on".

Here are the 3 (4) tasks steps (that I added at the end of the debug task routine):

Using Variable Set
    %HSSetdevicevalue To 100
    %HSSetdevicestring To ON (added this for my last test with no help)
    %HSref To 9
    %HSCommand To DeviceUpdate

My HS3 Test Device Info:
    My device value in HS3 is 9. (here are other setting in the device)
    Reference ID 9
    Technology Address B7
    Status 0 = OFF
    Value 0 = "Off"
    String
    Supports Status False
    Dimmable False
    Device Type Internal No API, Type: Type 0, SubType:
    Device Type (String)
    Misc Settings Show Values, Generate Voice Command
    Device Image File images\Devices\Image-Not-Selected.png
    Thumbnail Image File images\Devices\Image-Not-Selected_small.png
    Relationship Status Not Set

Additional Info:
    I have exited and saved Tasker, as well as rebooted HS3 System and Phone.
    Looking at the run log from within Tasker, I don't see any errors but not sure what to look for.

When I log back into Tasker on the Phone I see multiple warnings/errors. Sometimes there are 6 to 10 warnings. I suspect these warning may be the sign that something isn't set correctly but not sure what.

Plugin:16.42.05#Plugin:warning:getIndexByCode:no match:type: Action code 18226
    Plugin:16.42.05#Plugin:warning:non-existing plugin code type Action:5717
    Plugin:16.42.05#Plugin:warning:getIndexByCode:no match:type:Action code 5717

I do have autoremote installed on the Phone. I think it is working because when I paste the assigned URL code into my browser I get the page showing send a message to your Android device.

Any help in guiding me in the right direction would be much appreciated.

Most of the information you provided seem correct except for the "device string" The device string points to actual HomeSeer device (existing or one you created). So the device ID 9 you have given should have a name (light or anything). If you look again or if you choose any divice you already have in HomeSeer. Check that and see what you get.

The step where you added "%HSSetdevicestring to" = Should be the name of the device

Eman.
    Last edited by Eman; June 7, 2016, 05:15 PM.
    TinkerLand : Life's Choices,"No One Size Fits All"

Comment

Thanks for the quick response!

I named my device "Test Light for Tasker" in HS3 so in Tasker in Phone, I changed the "ON" to "Test Light for Tasker" and saved, then ran the task again but still got the same results. I get the speak message in HS3 but no sign of anything from the command to turn light on. It may be something simple that I have done incorrectly when setting up my tasks. At first, I was typing in the %HS strings manually but then saw where they where already listed when you click on the TAG while building the task. I checked spelling and think I have that correct.

Do you agree it probably isn't a connection issue since I am getting the Speak coming through to HS3 System? I thought there might be a chance a SPEAK command comes through differently and was getting through, while the DeviceUpdate command wasn't making it.

So I have to have AutoRemote working properly when sending (not receiving) from Phone to HS3 or is needed for both directions?

I setup the device like any other device. Nothing special about the way I set it up within HS3. Is that OK?

I keep thinking that I would at least see a HS3 log entry of some type when doing the test. At least an error. But the only thing I see is the line for the Speak command. Should all commands show in the HS3 log? I have it wide open without filters.

Maybe I should try to trigger an event through tasker and see what the results are.

Thanks again for your help and any suggestions of things to try.

Comment

If you sure of the connection steps then this here :http://forums.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=174452 is a good place start.

Compare your events with that and you will get it just easy. If it's something too technical come back here and tonlof will help you.

Eman.

Comment

I have read most of the threads in the Tasker PlugIn section and looked at your posts multiple times in How we use Tasker Plug-in. But knowing/hoping that I am missing something simple I went back through the "..how we use Tasker PlugIn.." After reading through it I decided to start from scratch with a new Profile based on the time of day, just something to trigger it. (On my previous tests, I did not setup a profile as I was only running the task directly without a trigger other than hitting the play icon).

After entering a trigger time and then going "Back", a drop down menu was presented. I looked through the drop down and noticed a variable named "ON" and one named "Off". I decided to use the "On" and enter my device ID and 100, instead of creating my own Set Variable list from scratch. I did not add a line %HSCommand To DeviceUpdate at the end, since it wasn't listed at the bottom of the "canned" "On" Task.

Well, it worked! I don't understand why but maybe it was the way I built my test task list to turn on the device vs. the "Canned" "On" task setup. Or maybe you have to use the canned "On", "Off" and I missed that requirement in all of my readings.

I will dig into it until I figure it out.

Thanks again for your help! Now that I have some progress forward maybe I can get on with the real goal. I have "TaskS2" on my phone which interfaces Tasker on my phone to my Samsung Galaxy S2 watch. Now I'll be able to control HS3 with commands from my watch. Endless possibilities!
          Last edited by jmgadget; June 8, 2016, 06:50 AM. Reason: Renamed Tasker2 to "TaskS2"

Comment

Solved- I just had to post back on this topic to explain what I found to be my problem. I really don't know where I missed this in all the reading I have done about my issue and I really don't understand why it is this way but:

The clue was cloning the tasks "On" or "Off" from the HS3 Samples and using them would work or copying the individual %HS steps from the "On" or "Off" would work but when I manually typed in the %HS task steps would not work.

The answer is Capitalization matters.
            %HSSetdevicevalue works but not %HsSetdevicevalue
            %HsRef works but not %HSRef

Comment

Originally posted by jmgadget View Post
              Solved- I just had to post back on this topic to explain what I found to be my problem. I really don't know where I missed this in all the reading I have done about my issue and I really don't understand why it is this way but:

The clue was cloning the tasks "On" or "Off" from the HS3 Samples and using them would work or copying the individual %HS steps from the "On" or "Off" would work but when I manually typed in the %HS task steps would not work.

The answer is Capitalization matters.
              %HSSetdevicevalue works but not %HsSetdevicevalue
              %HsRef works but not %HSRef

That's correct!

Now enjoy the sleepless nights!

Eman.

Comment

Working...
              X