This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to Schedule Door Lock User Codes

With HS3, you can enable ("set") and disable ("remove") door lock user codes with events. This is particularly handy for scheduling access for house cleaners and other regular unattended visitors or guests. The example below includes 2 events; one for setting the user code and one for removing the user code. Each event is triggered by a time and day.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by macromark; May 11, 2015, 12:11 PM.
    💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Mark! Cool feature!

I had replicated the webpage button sequence in script for HS2. I had to use HTTP GET/POSTs.
    This seems MUCH more secure and reliable!

--Dan
    Tasker, to a person who does Homeautomation...is like walking up to a Crack Treatment facility with a truck full of 3lb bags of crack. Then for each person that walks in and out smack them in the face with an open bag.

Comment

Does anyone know if the zwave plugin function for this feature is exposed so that it can be used from a script? I want to dynamically create the code and then email it.

Thanks
      Al
      HS 4.2.8.0: 2134 Devices 1252 Events
      Z-Wave 3.0.10.0: 133 Nodes on one Z-Net

Comment

I would love that functionality as well

I loaded up the Z-Wave plugin in the Object Explorer in VS and I dont see anything off-hand that would allow you to do this. It might be worth an email to Mark/Rich directly to see if it is possible.

<fingers crossed>
        HS4Pro on a Raspberry Pi4
        54 Z-Wave Nodes / 21 Zigbee Devices / 108 Events / 767 Devices
        Plugins: Z-Wave / Zigbee Plus / EasyTrigger / AK Weather / OMNI

HSTouch Clients: 1 Android

Comment

Originally posted by rmasonjr View Post

I loaded up the Z-Wave plugin in the Object Explorer in VS and I dont see anything off-hand that would allow you to do this. It might be worth an email to Mark/Rich directly to see if it is possible.

<fingers crossed>
          Thanks for checking Rob, I submitted an enhancement request through Bugzilla which generated an email to Rich.

Cheers
          Al
          HS 4.2.8.0: 2134 Devices 1252 Events
          Z-Wave 3.0.10.0: 133 Nodes on one Z-Net

Comment

Very helpful article! Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by rmasonjr View Post

<fingers crossed>
              I, too, would love that functionality.

Unfortunately, my door lock is a Yale, with a ZIGBEE interface. Apparently, no one has written a plug-in for Zigbee, let alone any scripting or events.

Jim Speiser
              38-year veteran of Home Automation
              Still don't know squat

Comment

One thing that has confused me about HS is why this is even necessary. In Vera I could schedule door lock codes - eg "Tony" has code "123456" from 2:00pm on 23/7/20 until 10:00am 28/7/20, or of course they could be permanent.

But with HS you can only have permanent codes.

Was that Vera doing something smart (which would be mindboggling LOL), or is HS not making use of the functionality? Curious

Manually editing events isn't the same as simply adding a code in with a limited lifespan.

Comment

Originally posted by Tillsy View Post
                  One thing that has confused me about HS is why this is even necessary. In Vera I could schedule door lock codes - eg "Tony" has code "123456" from 2:00pm on 23/7/20 until 10:00am 28/7/20, or of course they could be permanent.

But with HS you can only have permanent codes.

Was that Vera doing something smart (which would be mindboggling LOL), or is HS not making use of the functionality? Curious

Manually editing events isn't the same as simply adding a code in with a limited lifespan.
                  Same here, I came from Vera also and remember being able to create codes that worked on a schedule. I'm running Schlage locks and have all the technical documentation on them, they don't have schedule/time capability built-in so it was something Vera was doing behind the scenes. Which is amazing considering it ran on an OEM router platform with limited memory.

Comment

Originally posted by TC1 View Post

Same here, I came from Vera also and remember being able to create codes that worked on a schedule. I'm running Schlage locks and have all the technical documentation on them, they don't have schedule/time capability built-in so it was something Vera was doing behind the scenes. Which is amazing considering it ran on an OEM router platform with limited memory.
                    Same here, and that is why I keep my locks on a Vera hub!

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Comment

The fact HS4 doesn't have the concept of schedules built-in and that one has to buy a plug-in to get this functionality is mind boggling... the product has been around for over 20 years? Even lowly thermostats have schedules built into their limited firmware.

Comment

Originally posted by TC1 View Post

Same situation here. HS should implement this functionality instead of the first post solution...

Comment

I'm confused as to what the complaint is here... HS' biggest strength is its incredibly powerful events engine. There is no practical difference between an expiring code and an event that deletes a code on a schedule. Z-Wave locks don't have any concept of an expiring code, so it can only be done with a schedule to delete the code, which is exactly what events are for.

What plugin are you guys talking about buying? HS' native events engine is very capable of setting schedules.

Comment

Originally posted by Dr. McKay View Post
                            I'm confused as to what the complaint is here... HS' biggest strength is its incredibly powerful events engine. There is no practical difference between an expiring code and an event that deletes a code on a schedule. Z-Wave locks don't have any concept of an expiring code, so it can only be done with a schedule to delete the code, which is exactly what events are for.

What plugin are you guys talking about buying? HS' native events engine is very capable of setting schedules.
                            With all due respect, then you've never worked with a platform that had native schedule objects. For example, create a a schedule called "Trash Pickup" and within that object have the times for Monday 7am, Wednesday 7am, Friday 7am defined. One can then use that schedule as a trigger for events, rather than having to define individual events for each separate time. If the schedule changes in the real world, then simply update the schedule object.

One can achieve this by buying the Easy Trigger plug-in which adds the concept of schedule objects, but as you can see from several opinions here, this is something that would have been logically built into HS.

Comment

Events can have multiple conditions and triggers. This is how I would implement that schedule.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X