Variable message

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Variable message

Is there a way to display a variable (or device string, etc.) as part of the message that is displayed by the Ecobee thermostat? If not, could the capability be added?

Is there a way to control the length of time the message is displayed or to dismiss a message using the thermostat UI?
    Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________
    HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.548, NUC i3

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF | RFXCOM | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3 | EtherRain | Ubiquiti

in version 3.0.0.13 available here I have just added support for HS Replacement Variables, so that you can use a device string, a global variable, a counter, etc... within the message of a "Send Message" action.

Click image for larger version

Name:	hsreplacementvariable.png
Views:	1
Size:	6.4 KB
ID:	1187381

I don't think there is a way to control the length of time the message is displayed, it is displayed as long as someone touch ok on the thermostat.

Comment

That was fast! I'll give it a try. Thank you.
      Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF | RFXCOM | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3 | EtherRain | Ubiquiti

Comment

Limited testing looks good. The implementation of replacement variables appears to be totally seamless. Thanks.

I still need to live with it a while to see how it behaves in non-testing mode, but I think that has more to do the with characteristics of the message screen than the variable implementation. It would be very helpful if there was a way for HS to clear the message. I assume that is determined by what the thermostat will allow.

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Michael View Post
          I still need to live with it a while to see how it behaves in non-testing mode, but I think that has more to do the with characteristics of the message screen than the variable implementation. It would be very helpful if there was a way for HS to clear the message. I assume that is determined by what the thermostat will allow.
          I think I could add an action to clear all alerts (or alerts containing specific words), however that would include alerts being generated by the thermostat itself.

Also I just read here that the SendMessage function has been deprecated and may not work in newest firmwares. So it may not worth to spend too much time on this...

Comment

Originally posted by spud View Post
            Also I just read here that the SendMessage function has been deprecated and may not work in newest firmwares. So it may not worth to spend too much time on this...
            I agree. It's not worth additional effort. I was mostly just trying to understand the extent and limits of the capability rather than seek additional functionality.

Comment

Working...
            X