Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Running Kinect plugin remotely

Spud,

I am interested in running you plug in on multiple client computers through out my house for VR is this possible and if so how do I go about doing it. I am new to homeseer and need a little guidance onhow to install plugins on a remote Pc thanks

Ken
    HSPRO,HS3PRO, BLsecurity, , MCSxap, HSTouch Android, UltraGCIR, CM15a, USBUIRT, BLUSBUIRT, WIFIRGB, BLAB8SS, BLcontrol, BLGData, BLLAN,BLOccupied, BLRadar, BLVolume, iTunesDAAP, UltraGCIR3, Airplayspeak, BLalarm, BLbackup, BLLED, BLrandom, BLReminders, BLRF, BL Speech, Hyperion, IFTTT, KINECT, XBMC, MCSprinkers PRO, PHLocation, ULtrapioneer, Ultralog, ultraweatherbug, Z,troller, GC-100, GC WIFICC, GC-WIFI SERIAL, Nitrogen logic depth camera controllers,

Originally posted by kenrad View Post
    Spud,

I am interested in running you plug in on multiple client computers through out my house for VR is this possible and if so how do I go about doing it. I am new to homeseer and need a little guidance onhow to install plugins on a remote Pc thanks

Ken
    to run the plugin remotely, you need first to install it on your HS machine, even if you don't have a Kinect connected to your HS machine you need to have it installed there (but you don't have to enable it) so that HS doesn't complain about licensing issue when you start your remote instances.
    Then
    • copy HSPI_KINECT.exe, bin/Kinect/Kinect.Toolbox.dll to a directory on your remote computer
    • copy HomeSeerAPI.dll, HSCF.dll and Scheduler.dll from your HS3 directory to the same remote directory
    • open a command prompt on your remote computer
    • cd to the directory, then type HSPI_KINECT.exe server=<ip_of_your_hs_machine> instance=<instance_name>

where instance_name can be anything you want but only alpha numeric characters.

I have only one Kinect so far, so my test with remote plugins have been limited, but it should work. Let me know if you have any issue.
    Last edited by spud; December 2, 2013, 02:47 PM.

Comment

Can I use the Kinect with a internet base global cache devise(or some other devise)? I would like to set it up in the family room to use for events on the number of people in the room.

Scott

Comment

I have tried it one a few USB network devices and have yet to have one work, something with a protocol in the Kinect. Its not that it WONT work, but we need to find the correct device. I even tried a Raspberri-Pi .... Im hoping for a smaller atom based device, that may work well for this.

Comment

I could be wrong (and have been wrong before) but unfortunately I don't think you will be able to use a USB to network device with the Kinect.

Generally the USB to Network devices have very little bandwidth and processing power, and when you push them with anything beyond basic audio / text work (e.g. RS232 devices) and move towards Webcams you will find most report that they cannot connect to the device due to insufficient bandwidth.

I would think this would be especially true of the Kinect which not only pushes video, but also distance measurements etc.
          HS3 PRO, Win10, WeatherXML, HSTouch, Pushover, UltraGCIR, Heaps of Jon00 Plugins, Just sold and about to move so very slim system.

Facebook | Twitter | Flickr | Google+ | Website | YouTube

Comment

I've been down this road recently. No wired USB to Ethernet or wireless USB devices I tried worked at all. USB via WiFi (IOGear GUWIP204) would allow the Kinect to detect at the computer, but disconnected every few seconds. According to an article I read (authored by a company doing Kinect software development), the MS Kinect developers indicated to them that the bandwidth is not high enough. I can't speak for WiFi AC, but my wireless N connection didn't work. The only thing that worked reliably is wired USB 2.0.

I plan on using sorta-cheap $300 Windows tablets with wired Kinect devices and running the Kinect plugin as a service (via FireDaemon). In testing with my existing (but higher end) boxes, this setup works beautifully with the local "Kinect tablets" connected to the HomeSeer server via WiFi.

Comment

Kinect via USB server

I would try Monoprice USB server.
              http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_i...seq=1&format=2
              I've used them for backup to remote USB hard drive. That seems like a lot of bandwidth.

Comment

Did the monoprice usb server work with kinect for you? It sounds like just what I need if it did work.

Comment

And would a Kinect work with a Wireless USB hub? If it would then you could connect it to the main HS computer from any room without running wires or setting up a second computer to host the Kinect.

Comment

I read this -
                    Remote Instances

To run the plugin remotely, you need first to install it on your HS machine, even if you don't have a Kinect connected to your HS machine you need to have it installed there (but you don't have to enable it) so that HS doesn't complain about licensing issue when you start your remote instances.
                    Then

copy HSPI_KINECT.exe, bin/Kinect/Kinect.Toolbox.dll to a directory on your remote computer
                    copy HomeSeerAPI.dll, HSCF.dll and Scheduler.dll from your HS3 directory to the same remote directory
                    open a command prompt on your remote computer
                    cd to the directory, then type HSPI_KINECT.exe server=<ip_of_your_hs_machine> instance=<instance_name> autoreconnect=<seconds_to_wait>

where <instance_name> can be anything you want but only alpha numeric characters.

autoreconnect is an optional parameter which makes the plugin automatically reconnect when the connection with HS is lost. It can be useful for example when you want to restart HS without having to restart all the remote plugins manually.
                    <seconds_to_wait> is the number of seconds to wait before the plugin tries to reconnect.
                    I have never liked command prompts. This part - cd to the directory - is Greek to me.
                    I will make a folder under C named Kinect, so how do I "cd to the directory"?

Thanks,
                    Tim
                    FB Page - https://www.facebook.com/pages/Capt-Tim/209398425902188

HSTouch Layouts - https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...5902188&type=3

Comment

Just copy the below text into notepad and rename it something.bat. The .bat extension is the important part. Change the path to wherever your HSPI_KINECT.exe is located. So if you put it in a folder called Kinect at the root of your C: drive your .bat would look like this:

Code:
                      CHDIR C:\Kinect
                      hspi_kinect.exe server=192.168.1.xx instance=instance name autoreconnect=90
                      Oh. Don't forget to change 192.168.1.xx to the ip address of your HS3 PC and change instance name to the name of that particular instance of the plugin.
                      Originally posted by rprade
                      There is no rhyme or reason to the anarchy a defective Z-Wave device can cause

Comment

Got it.
                        Thank you.

Tim
                        FB Page - https://www.facebook.com/pages/Capt-Tim/209398425902188

HSTouch Layouts - https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...5902188&type=3

Comment

Originally posted by spud View Post
                          to run the plugin remotely, you need first to install it on your HS machine, even if you don't have a Kinect connected to your HS machine you need to have it installed there (but you don't have to enable it) so that HS doesn't complain about licensing issue when you start your remote instances.
                          Then
                          • copy HSPI_KINECT.exe, bin/Kinect/Kinect.Toolbox.dll to a directory on your remote computer
                          • copy HomeSeerAPI.dll, HSCF.dll and Scheduler.dll from your HS3 directory to the same remote directory
                          • open a command prompt on your remote computer
                          • cd to the directory, then type HSPI_KINECT.exe server=<ip_of_your_hs_machine> instance=<instance_name>

where instance_name can be anything you want but only alpha numeric characters.
                          Hi Guys,

I want to try running a remote instance of the plugin on my HTPC which is put in suspend mode when not in use, will I have to run

cd to the directory, then type [B]HSPI_KINECT.exe server=<ip_of_your_hs_machine> instance=<instance_name>
                          every time I resume

Comment

Originally posted by S.Morris View Post
                            Hi Guys,

I want to try running a remote instance of the plugin on my HTPC which is put in suspend mode when not in use, will I have to run

every time I resume
                            I have to.
                            Originally posted by rprade
                            There is no rhyme or reason to the anarchy a defective Z-Wave device can cause

Comment

Try one of the programs that run a .bat file as a Windows service. I use FireDaemon but there are several others that are free (FireDaemon is not free).

Comment

Working...
                              X