www.homeseer.com    

Go Back   HomeSeer Message Board > HomeSeer Products & Services > HomeSeer Help > How-To's

How-To's This area provides in-depth information on how to do something in HomeSeer or home automation.

Old June 10th, 2018, 11:02 AM
OverSeer

@Matthew,

PFSense is very tight on purpose and really not made to remote control from another device.

You can circumvent the security on it to remote control it say with Homeseer.

I would not recommend this.

Personally I use Linux for my HomeSeer box here. Historically I have used scripts to SSH to my RPi to run stuff there or to move files et al. It was a kludge doing this and I used an exchange of the encryption keys between Homeseer and the RPi. That said google the command lines used for development on PFSense for a list of what you can do via command line. (just about anything).

The other way mentioned was to use php. The PFSense box is running on BSD and uses php. You would have to write a script that logs in to your PFSense box from Homeseer then have the script execute php commands directly on the PFSense box.

I have not attempted this. You can give it a try logging in to your PFSense box from the Homeseer box and doing a source look up of the page you are accessing to see the specific php command you are executing.

can homeseer control pfsense. for example if I wanted to issue a voice command to restart the appliance?

Yes but you will be circumventing PFSense punching a hole in to it for remote management which I would not recommend.

Automator

HS3 Pro & Lite Edition Beta 3.0.0.435

HS3 Wintel Touch | Ubuntu 16.04 64 bit | Oracle Windows Virtual Box ==> for Wintel only SAPI and HS3 plugins | Speech - Microsoft SAPI - Neospeech - Amazon Echo | Hardware | Haswell Intel iSeries 3 - 16Gb | Pine64 - 2Gb computers | Openpeak Intel Atom SoC tabletop touchscreens (15 HS tabletop tablets) | Touchscreens - Windows embedded POE connected |Light switches - X10,UPB, ZWave and Zigbee | Firewall - PFSense - 2 WAN plus 4 LAN interfaces | Network - Gb managed switches / POE WAP(s) | CCTV - Zoneminder IPHD cams - variety | Audio - Russound - AB8SS | Security - Leviton HAI Omni Pro 2 | Weather - Davis Vantage Vue - MeteoStick - WeeWx | 1-Wire - AAG, Midon and HB | OWFS - Mosquitto - Node Red - Python - RPi Stretch - OpenWRT
Old June 17th, 2018, 09:36 AM
Seer Deluxe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete View Post
@Matthew,

PFSense is very tight on purpose and really not made to remote control from another device.

You can circumvent the security on it to remote control it say with Homeseer.

I would not recommend this.

Personally I use Linux for my HomeSeer box here. Historically I have used scripts to SSH to my RPi to run stuff there or to move files et al. It was a kludge doing this and I used an exchange of the encryption keys between Homeseer and the RPi. That said google the command lines used for development on PFSense for a list of what you can do via command line. (just about anything).

The other way mentioned was to use php. The PFSense box is running on BSD and uses php. You would have to write a script that logs in to your PFSense box from Homeseer then have the script execute php commands directly on the PFSense box.

I have not attempted this. You can give it a try logging in to your PFSense box from the Homeseer box and doing a source look up of the page you are accessing to see the specific php command you are executing.

can homeseer control pfsense. for example if I wanted to issue a voice command to restart the appliance?

Yes but you will be circumventing PFSense punching a hole in to it for remote management which I would not recommend.

you are misunderstanding.. I do not need to know the commands.. I do not know how to have homeseer open a SSH session to any device and run commands...
How do you do that?
Number of Devices: 515
Number of Events: 109
Available Threads: 400
HSTouch Enabled: True
Enabled Plug-Ins
BLGarbage - BLLock - BLMapper - BLReminders - BLSecurity - BLSpeech - BLStat - BLTouchString - Blue-Iris - EasyTrigger - Insteon - Kinect - NetCAM - Random - Restart - UltraECM3 - UltraGCIR3 - UltraLog3 - UltraPioneerAVR3 - weatherXML - XBMC - Z-Wave
Old June 17th, 2018, 09:53 AM
OverSeer

Using Windows you can write a script using Putty to SSH to the PFSense BSD box.

You need to know the commands in order to write a script to do this running Homeseer 3 in windows or linux. That is why Homeseer is so flexible.

The PuTTY command line

remote ssh tcl
Old June 17th, 2018, 10:44 AM
Seer Deluxe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete View Post
Using Windows you can write a script using Putty to SSH to the PFSense BSD box.

You need to know the commands in order to write a script to do this running Homeseer 3 in windows or linux. That is why Homeseer is so flexible.

The PuTTY command line

remote ssh tcl
interesting. Im still working on my system. I prob will not actually set it up. but good to know anyway. I have many devices that SSH can be used with.
Old June 17th, 2018, 10:48 AM
OverSeer

I used to copy files between HS3 computers using SSH then went to sharing data directories and today playing a bit with using Mosquitto.

Personally I have never needed to reboot or reset PFSense. You do not want to power it off cold as you will corrupt the files running.

Google the command line for restarting PFSense.

I have historically had issues with the older combo firewalls that would need to reboot to get them going again because of the SOHO firmware that never was updated.