www.homeseer.com    

Go Back   HomeSeer Message Board > HomeSeer Products & Services > HomeSeer General Discussion Area

HomeSeer General Discussion Area General discussion about HomeSeer that does not fall into any other category or are not specific to 1.x or 2.x versions of HomeSeer.

Old July 18th, 2017, 05:27 PM
Seer

Any news on HS4?

I agree it's not good enough to say the web UI is not important because it's an admin 'console'. A slick responsive interface is an easier sell.

To be positive, there are a multitude of charging options other companies use. From free unsupported, low cost email support, paid telephone support. Tiered monthly subscriptions, expanded product line etc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old July 19th, 2017, 02:35 PM
Seer Plus

The default "GUI" (if you want to call it that) for HSTouch is not what's supposed to sell HS. It's IMPOSSIBLE to come up with a default flashy UI that would apply to everyone's situation. The high degree of HA customization prevents that. Of course, if HS wants to come up with some dumbed down object oriented dynamic interface builder, then fine, but I prefer the blank slate of HSTouch Designer that allows you to design anything you can imagine. Having said that, I have seen some really sad looking interfaces with sensory/information overload. Blame the creator for those, not HS.

As others have mentioned, the majority of us would be willing to pay a yearly fee as long as the support is there (i.e., addressing the Bugzilla black hole where things go and are never addressed). The ONLY way I would ever pay for HS4 is if it's comprised of the following: HS3 + all outstanding HS3 bugs addressed + new events engine. Otherwise, HS3 meets my current needs just fine.
Old July 20th, 2017, 11:59 AM
Seer Master

http://poster.keepcalmandposters.com/2993839.jpg

Enabled Plug-Ins:
2.0.57.0: BLBackup | 3.0.16.0: BLLock | 2.0.24.0: BLUPS | 1.2.5.0: Device History | 3.0.3.10: MeiHarmony Hub | 3.0.0.48 Easy Trigger | 3.0.1.90: PHLocation | 3.0.6681.34300: UltraCID3 | 3.0.6644.26753: UltraLog3 | 3.0.6554.33094: UltraMon3 | 3.0.0.87: weatherXML | 3.0.1.210: Z-Wave | 3.0.51: HS Touch Designer | 3.0.0.40 Z-Seer+
Old June 13th, 2018, 03:20 AM
Seer Deluxe

Another year went by and still no HS4. Will it ever be released? HS3 is absolutely solid for me, but the interface is just beyond dated at this point. Does anyone have any news on HS4?
Old June 13th, 2018, 06:17 AM
Seer Master

This might just be 100% conjecture, but I think it going to release around the same time the Xbox One X One Xs One X 2 drops.. Sometime before 2026.

Please don't quote me on that though..
Old June 13th, 2018, 06:56 AM
OverSeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumper4000 View Post
Another year went by and still no HS4. Will it ever be released? HS3 is absolutely solid for me, but the interface is just beyond dated at this point. Does anyone have any news on HS4?
Perhaps the new HS3 mobile app being released shortly may appease you: https://forums.homeseer.com/showpost...2&postcount=50

Old June 13th, 2018, 09:00 AM
Seer Master

Quote:
Maybe it's just me being a Unix guy but I don't mind the interface. I don't need/care/want "flashy" for an "admin" interface. I want functional. Could the interface be tweaked a bit here and there to fix bugs and general clean ups? Yeah. Does that warrant a V4...no.
Old June 13th, 2018, 10:35 AM
OverSeer

In HS2 the interface changes began with v2.1. HS3 is still on v3.0.

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF, Rain8Net+ | RFXCOM | QSE100D | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | X10:
Compose, XTB-232, -IIR | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3

Old June 13th, 2018, 11:10 AM
Seer Master

Any news on HS4?

Replacing the basic looking HS3TOUCH app and making event creation possible within a new app are huge steps forward IMO. Additionally, they are updating the way the new app communicates with HS3. This will hopefully support newer encryption protocols and ciphers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old June 13th, 2018, 02:23 PM
OverSeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeubanks View Post
Maybe it's just me being a Unix guy but I don't mind the interface. I don't need/care/want "flashy" for an "admin" interface. I want functional. Could the interface be tweaked a bit here and there to fix bugs and general clean ups? Yeah. Does that warrant a V4...no.
+1

The look of the interface is a highly subjective thing. While there remain bugs in the Event Management page when doing marathon editing, the interface functions well and is easy to navigate. It takes only seconds to tweak an Event, or a minute or so to create one. The Device Manager page is quite good as a utility and it can be easily managed with careful naming of Location 1 & 2. FWIW, I rarely even open the HS interface any more. I occasionally use the HSTouch default client to control a device that is not controlled by automation, but that is rare. The default project is not pretty and if the device name is too long, it can be difficult to know what you are controlling, but it pulls every device into the interface and THE AVAILABLE DEVICES can easily be limited to any user. Everything we do on a day to day basis is controlled by HomeSeer scene capable switches/dimmers, Z-Wave remotes or Harmony remotes.

I have had scores of new and improved interfaces thrust at me over the years, most of which introduce a fresh learning curve. HS3 has constantly improved since I started with it in January 2014. For all of 2018 it has functioned flawlessly. I have little to no interest in just changing to a newer looking interface for the sake of it being prettier.

Number of Devices: 2410
Number of Events: 1499

PHLocation - Pushover - EasyTrigger - UltraECM3 - Ultra1Wire3 - Arduino
Old June 13th, 2018, 04:21 PM
Seer

Dont underestimate the importance of UI to increase the customer base.

1) I was hoping this was simpler and easier than ISY - it isn't (don't confused simple with simplistic) their actions/program UI is light years ahead in usability

2) I was hoping the client would meet WAF (wife acceptance factor, she rues the day revolv got shutdown). I see it isn't, at least not out of the box. As such I may still keep vera/wink/smart things apps present ot keep on mobilinc

HS seems great platform, plugins are actively developed (I am sure plugin developers don't make a profit, but it helps they get beer money).

Great to get running, even on a sinology / docker instance.

Still not sure where it will fit in my mix - but I bought anyway (like 2 days ago). Our best interest is server by making HS attractive to new less experienced / motivated / patient customers - without sacrificing the under the hood power.

I am keen to see if the touch designer can do what I want, but focusing on plugins and figuring out things like my z-wave strategy.
Old June 14th, 2018, 03:44 AM
Seer Deluxe

Quote:
No, nothing.
But what have you done about it the last year?

Send from my Commodore VIC-20

Ashai_Rey____________________________________________________________ ________________
HSPro 3.5.0
PIugins: ZMC audio | ZMC VR | ZMC IR | ZMC NDS | RFXcom | AZ scripts | Jon00 Scripts | RFXCOM | BLRadar | BLBackup
Old June 14th, 2018, 01:17 PM
Seer Master

Quote:

You realize, of course, that you are asking to pay for a new version without having a clue:

1) what bugs, if any, will be fixed, and

2) what features, if any, will be added, and

3) what features, if any, will be deprecated.

Jus' Sayin'
Old June 15th, 2018, 03:45 AM
Seer

eek upgraded between major versions are paid? is it upgrade price or full price?
Old June 15th, 2018, 03:08 PM
Have A Blessed Day

Quote:
Originally Posted by scyto View Post
eek upgraded between major versions are paid? is it upgrade price or full price?
I've been using HS since version 1. Each upgrade to the next version typically had a lower cost for the first few weeks, the price went up if you waited longer, until it hit an upgrade price which is cheaper than a non upgrade price.
If you check the pricing for the current HS you will see the various prices for upgrades from HS2 to HS3.
My HS3 Plugins: CFHSExtras, Random, Restart, Tracker, WeatherXML, PanaBluRay
Other Plugins In Use: APCUPSD, EasyTrigger, FBitSeer, HSTouch Server, Kinect, PHLocation, Pushover, RFXCom, UltraGCIR3, UltraMon3, UltraPioneerAVR3, X10, Z-Wave

Hardware: GoControl Irrigation Controler, Schlage Lever Lock, Schlage Deadbolt, Way2Call Hi-Phone, RFXCom RFXrec433 Receiver, WGL 800, TI-103, Z-Net, Pioneer 1120, Pioneer 1021, Panasonic BDT-110, Panasonic BDT-210 x2
Old June 15th, 2018, 04:02 PM
Seer Deluxe

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewkearns View Post
You realize, of course, that you are asking to pay for a new version without having a clue:

1) what bugs, if any, will be fixed, and

2) what features, if any, will be added, and

3) what features, if any, will be deprecated.

Jus' Sayin'
Just like with any other software, I will evaluate the new features and decide if it's worth the upgrade.

I work for a software company, and it's highly unusual for a company to take this long to release a major upgrade. What, has it been like 5 or 6 years since HS3 was released now? If HS3's core functionality wasn't so solid, I would have switched by now, but they are falling behind. These are my major complaints -

The interface - It is absolutely horrendous at this point. It's beyond ugly (and that is not subjective), it's painfully slow, and it's simply not usable by anyone who's not technical. I know some of you say the interface is not important, but it really is. If it wasn't, we'd all be using DOS and UNIX operating systems every day. A good application should be functional and aesthetic.

The Event Engine and usability - It's okay, but after 5 years, it should be MUCH better and faster. I shouldn't have to create 3 or 4 separate events just to mimic a simple loop.

The way the plugins work kinda sucks too. There isn't even a simple search feature there, and again it's very slow.

Lastly, it, not running as a Windows Service is kinda bothersome to me. I know there are ways around it, but an application like this that needs to be running at all times should be able to run as a service after 5 years of release.

There are a bunch of other small things too, but I could live with those.

Overall it is just time for a major major major upgrade!!! I hope HomeSeer is listening and will shine some light on this. Some of us have been loyal customers for years and at the very least deserve some legitimate feedback.
Old June 15th, 2018, 05:14 PM
HomeSeer Technologies

Quote:
I hope HomeSeer is listening and will shine some light on this. Some of us have been loyal customers for years and at the very least deserve some legitimate feedback.
We know the GUI needs work and we're starting with HomeSeer Mobile. If you're not already in the HomeSeer Mobile threads, I would invite you to take a look over there and provide some feedback on what you'd like to see in the new mobile app. Once that's released (Android and IOS), we'll be shifting to attack the web GUI.

website | products | support | youtube
Old June 16th, 2018, 06:35 PM
Seer Deluxe

Quote:
Originally Posted by macromark View Post
We know the GUI needs work and we're starting with HomeSeer Mobile. If you're not already in the HomeSeer Mobile threads, I would invite you to take a look over there and provide some feedback on what you'd like to see in the new mobile app. Once that's released (Android and IOS), we'll be shifting to attack the web GUI.
Thanks very much, Mark. ImperiHome is not too bad on mobile, but I’ll go check out yours too. Hopefully, it’ll blow us out of the ware and I definitely look forward to you guys revamping the web interface
Old June 16th, 2018, 06:39 PM
HomeSeer Technologies

Quote:
...and I definitely look forward to you guys revamping the web interface
Lots of folks (including me) in that boat!