www.homeseer.com    

Go Back   HomeSeer Message Board > HomeSeer Products & Services > HomeSeer Software > HS3 / HS3PRO > HS3/PRO Beta Releases

HS3/PRO Beta Releases Discussion area for the beta releases of HomeSeer HS3 and HS3PRO software

Old March 17th, 2018, 10:30 PM
Seer Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by randman View Post
Duh!! Thanks, reidfo! Yeah, I know it's case sensitive, but when I was using vim for editing, I somehow overlooked the typo. That's where Visual Studio & tenScripting would have helped :-). Changing Testclass to TestClass resolved the issue.
Can I tell you about the time I spent three days searching for a bug in my code that just wouldn't compile? This was in the days before compilers actually told you what the error was, or even what line of code it was on... I finally printed my code and took it to the computer room operator who knew nothing about coding (it was COBOL back then) and said, "There's an error here somewhere, and I think it's in these 4 or 5 lines." He looked at it for about 5 seconds and said, "Oh, well that's a zero where I think you meant to type an O." I was embarrassed and grateful at the same time.

P.S. I can't believe I just dated myself that badly.
Second home: Zee S2 with Z-Wave, CT101 Z-Wave Thermostat, Aeotec Z-Wave microswitches, HSM200 occupancy sensor, Ecolink Z-Wave door sensors, STI Driveway Monitor interfaced to Zee S2 GPIO pins.
Old June 10th, 2018, 08:09 PM
Seer Master

I recently migrated everything to a new computer and downloaded Visual Studio 2017 community edition and havenít been able to get tenscripting3 to work. It starts up but can never find the subs after scripts are run (based on the tenscripting log) even though you can pick them in the drop down. Is it something with my setup? Has anyone else gotten it working with VS 2017 CE? Thanks.
Old June 10th, 2018, 08:58 PM
Super Seer

Have you added the script vb files to the project? What does the log say?
Old June 10th, 2018, 09:04 PM
Seer Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenholde View Post
Have you added the script vb files to the project? What does the log say?
I think so. Is there a step I missed. I thought I followed the video setup to a T.

Here is an example from the log:

05 Connected, waiting to be initialized...
06 Homeseer Connection Successful
07 tenScripting Initialization Complete
12 Running EtherRain.Main
13 >>> Exception
14 >>> Method 'tenScripting3.tenScripting.Main' not found.
16 EtherRain.Main Finished

Not only that. Homeseer crashes just about everytime after I stop running the debugger.
Old June 10th, 2018, 09:10 PM
Super Seer

Please see private message I just sent to you.

tenholde
Old June 10th, 2018, 09:35 PM
Seer Master

Quote:
Please see private message I just sent to you.

tenholde

Thereís no message in my inbox, did it go through?
Old June 10th, 2018, 11:18 PM
Super Seer

Try your email
Old June 12th, 2018, 10:04 AM
Seer Master

Quote:
Try your email

I sent you an email with a link as gmail wouldnít let me send it. Were you able to check it out? Iíve since tried on 2013 VS and am getting the same results. Itís not finding methods on imported scripts but it does on the sample scripts you provide. Itís driving me nuts because there must be something simple Iím doing/not doing causing this. Also, why would it cause homeseer to crash every time I run the debugger? I love this program btw. Itís been great for me for many years.
Old June 12th, 2018, 10:40 AM
Super Seer

Out of town, back tonight. Will check then
Old June 12th, 2018, 10:58 AM
Seer Master

Quote:
Out of town, back tonight. Will check then

Thanks
Old June 12th, 2018, 06:59 PM
Super Seer

When I load your project into VS, I get multiple syntax errors and warnings. If you run the project, and tell it to ignore the errors, the project will run, but because of the errors in the modules that contain your scripts, it is not compiled and hence cannot be loaded when tenScripting tries to run it, hence the error.

Does this make sense?

If you correct the items marked as errors, it should compile, and the running tenScripting should be able to load it.

tenholde
Attached Images

Old June 12th, 2018, 07:00 PM
Seer Master

Quote:
When I load your project into VS, I get multiple syntax errors and warnings. If you run the project, and tell it to ignore the errors, the project will run, but because of the errors in the modules that contain your scripts, it is not compiled and hence cannot be loaded when tenScripting tries to run it, hence the error.

Does this make sense?

If you correct the items marked as errors, it should compile, and the running tenScripting should be able to load it.

tenholde

It does, thanks. Iíll give it a whirl when I get home.
Old June 13th, 2018, 11:11 AM
Seer Master

Thanks so much, back in business. Is it usual for tenscripting to cause homeseer to crash? I think I remember this way back and it happens invariably when I close tenscripting either by hitting the x on the gui or hitting stop on the debugger in visual studio. Homeseer completely goes away and I have to start it up again.
Old June 13th, 2018, 02:33 PM
Super Seer

Does this happen every time? I have not heard of this being a problem. The tenScripting program itself can fail on exit and you might get an error in log that hs could not access the hsevent routine, object not found, but that is an hs3 bug that they have been slow to fix.
Old June 16th, 2018, 01:05 PM
Seer Master

Quote:
Does this happen every time? I have not heard of this being a problem. The tenScripting program itself can fail on exit and you might get an error in log that hs could not access the hsevent routine, object not found, but that is an hs3 bug that they have been slow to fix.
Sorry for the late response. But yes, it seems to happen everytime and after running various scripts, so not just one in particular. Usually, after I close tenscripting there will be a delay and then homeseer will be done. It's weird because there will be no mention in the homeseer log about shutting down or any errors, etc. It just stops. It doesn't seem to matter if I hit the x on tenscripting or just stop debugging.
Old June 17th, 2018, 05:48 PM
Super Seer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayman13 View Post
Sorry for the late response. But yes, it seems to happen everytime and after running various scripts, so not just one in particular. Usually, after I close tenscripting there will be a delay and then homeseer will be done. It's weird because there will be no mention in the homeseer log about shutting down or any errors, etc. It just stops. It doesn't seem to matter if I hit the x on tenscripting or just stop debugging.
I uploaded a new version, tenScripting 3.26, that now provides a checkbox that allows you to tell tenScripting not to register for HS Device Change and Log Record Events. This will take effect after you restart tenScripting.

Would you install this release, turn OFF event processing, and see if HS still terminates when you terminate tenScripting?

There have been bugs in HS3 related to plugins that register for events and then terminate and restart. HS provides no way of unregistering for the events you registered, and does not properly clean this up when a remote plugin disconnects and terminates. Then, HS tries to call the plugin's HsEvents routine and there is no plugin to process it. In my and other's experience, HS just logs an error (reference to a null object) and continues. The problem usually manifests itself in that when you rerun tenScripting to continue debugging your code, HS does not call into the new instance of the plugin. I have not seen/heard of HS terminating before, but I suspect that your HS is terminating because of this issue. That's why I'd like to see if turning off Event registration resolves this for you.

tenholde
Old June 18th, 2018, 07:49 AM
Seer Master

Quote:
I uploaded a new version, tenScripting 3.26, that now provides a checkbox that allows you to tell tenScripting not to register for HS Device Change and Log Record Events. This will take effect after you restart tenScripting.

Would you install this release, turn OFF event processing, and see if HS still terminates when you terminate tenScripting?

There have been bugs in HS3 related to plugins that register for events and then terminate and restart. HS provides no way of unregistering for the events you registered, and does not properly clean this up when a remote plugin disconnects and terminates. Then, HS tries to call the plugin's HsEvents routine and there is no plugin to process it. In my and other's experience, HS just logs an error (reference to a null object) and continues. The problem usually manifests itself in that when you rerun tenScripting to continue debugging your code, HS does not call into the new instance of the plugin. I have not seen/heard of HS terminating before, but I suspect that your HS is terminating because of this issue. That's why I'd like to see if turning off Event registration resolves this for you.

tenholde
Thanks. It appears after I turned off event processing, homeseer hasn't been shutting down. I am going to do more testing tonight to be sure as sometimes there is a little delay after shutting down tenscripting where homeseer then crashes. So far so good.