LFM-20 & Garage Door

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LFM-20 & Garage Door

I've seen some other threads in here that talk about using the Evolve LFM-20 as a garage door opener. The few I've seen mention wiring up the blue wires in-line to the garage door opener button.

I just wanted to be sure - are the blue wires low voltage? I noticed my existing wires are quite small - the manual calls them "bell wire" and they don't appear to support much current. I'm not going to blow out my door by sending too much power am I?

Also, does the LFM-20 impair the ability to use the existing door switch? If the LFM-20 is "off", won't that break the circuit and cause the door not to open unless the LFM-20 is in the "on" position?

For what it's worth, here's my manual to the garage door: http://www.liftmaster.com/pdfdocs/114A3080.pdf

If you look at Installation Step 6 (~page 12 or so) you can see where it talks about this bell wire.

The blue wires on the LFM-20 are the contacts to the built-in relay. Plug them across the 'bell' wires of the door opener. Then when you issue an 'on' command to the LFM-20, you are closing the door switch, same as if you pressed the switch yourself. You'll want to operate the LFM-20 as a momentary switch, so issue an 'off' command, say after 1 second, so the door switch isn't shorted out continuously. In this fashion the door switch can be used in conjunction with the LFM-20. The current is supplied by the garage door opener, so no worries that the blue wires are much bigger than your door switch wires.
    Mike

Comment

I apologize for the crudeness of my drawing... but is this the correct idea?

Comment

Working...
      X