Alexa Now Discovers Honeywell Wi-fi Thermostats

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alexa Now Discovers Honeywell Wi-fi Thermostats

I just got an email from Honeywell that Alexa can control wi-fi thermostats. Just install the Honeywell app in Alexa, then rediscover your devices in the HS app. It can only control temperature for now, not Heat-Cool-Off. The only problem I had was it discovered the thermostat twice, once since I use the HS wi-fi app, the again in the Honeywell app. I just deleted the HS discovery and left the Honeywell discovery in place.

You can use the regular HomeSeer skill for the Heat-Cool-Off.

You can also use your HSTouch app as well.
    Wade

"I know nothing... nothing!"

Comment

Which honeywell interface 'works better'?

I notice Alexa supports Honeywell's web interface directly. And HS3 also via the plug-in. Which leads to the question of which software interface is more effective using the native Alexa commands?

That and which will let me do more?

My Honeywell thermostats use the Redlink gateway. I have four thermostats, along with an outside temp/humidity sensor.

I'd love to be able to ask Alexa the actual current outdoor temperature, not just that of the location set for the device. I'm assuming this would require using the 'Alexa, ask Homeseer' interface, yes? What would the command syntax be? And how would the device have to be named in HS3?

I ask the naming question because while the thermostats themselves have different names, they're all pulling the same value for 'Outdoor Temp' and 'Outdoor Humidity'.

Tangentially, the the thermostats being named '1st floor', '2nd floor', 'Basement' and 'Theater' presents complications if you actually need to reference those as a grouping of devices.... Naming devices for voice control gets damned complicated as things scale up...

Comment

Eff'ing pain in the.... 14 character limit on Honeywell's website for thermostat names....

So I can't use '1st floor thermostat' No... that'd make too much sense.... Damned programmers and stupid artificial limitations....

Comment

Working...
        X