How to extend a USB webcam

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to extend a USB webcam

Does anyone know how to extend the wiring rage of a web cam. Standard usb cant be extended more than 5 mtrs.

Thx Dre

That's what they say but mine has a 25 foot extention cable on it along with the 6 feet that is attached to the camera and it works fine.

-Rupp
    ...One Nation Under GOD, Indivisible, With Liberty And Justice For All.
    💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

How much do those 25 footers go for. A quick google search gave me some ~$30.
      Are there better prices?
      Is yours "Active/Powered"??

Comment

No its not active powered. I bought it from a company here in town called Cable Mart.

http://www.cmicomputer.com/special/weekly.htm

-Rupp

Comment

how far do you want it to go?

a USB hub placed between the computer and the device will allow the distance to be basically doubled. it acts like a repeater/amplifier.

Comment

I have a spiderweb of usb hubs under my house to support gaming in one room, printer in another, and the servicing computer in a third room. The latest addition I accomodated via a dual-pack usb active/passive hub with cables for about $15 at Costco.

I tried a 15ft extension to a gaming device when I first started using USB and it would not support it. I suspect the electronics are a little better these days, but having the active hubs in the middle will assure good signal integrity.

Comment

... and then there is always fibre <grin>

http://www.icron.com/prod_usbr422.shtml

Comment

USB Cable Extenders

The USB Specs permit up to 5 hubs to be daisy-chained. I doubt many products have been tested for such.

B&B Electronics sells a USB cable extender for putting USB on and off of CAT-5 cables. Their $99 pair of transceivers claims to support up to 300 feet of CAT 5.

ATEN Technologies in Taiwan is the OEM for many of these rebranded USB things. They make a USB "booster" which is in essence a 16 ft cable with a one-port hub on the far end. $40 as I recall, though ATEN doesn't sell retail.

Comment

Does any one know if hubs kill da speed????

Rupp What is the brand (mark) off your long extended camera?????

Thx for the reply's

P.S.Y.C.H.O.T.I.C.

Comment

It's not marked so I'll assume its built by the company in the previously URL.

-Rupp

Comment

Working...
                    X