This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Adding additional Bobcats

I have an Ocelot, an SECU16, an SECU16I and two Bobcats (temp and humidity). The SECUs are units 1 and 2 and the Bobcats are 3 and 4. I am going to add 4 more Bobcats.

Here is my question -- when I add the 4 new Bobcats, do I have to auto-address all my existing devices again, or can I just skip 1-4 on the CMAX setup screen and then press the auto-address button on the new devices? In other words, will the Ocelot remember the devices I currently have if I do that?

The problem is that my existing Bobcats are in a location that's pretty difficult to get to and I would rather not have to go push the buttons on them if I don't have to. And I'm also hoping that I won't have to re-autoaddress each device in sequence every time I add new ones in the future.

Thanks.

The way you add new modules without addressing the entire system is the following:

Remove power from the Ocelot.

Disconnect the Com A and B wires on the Ocelot that run to the existing units.

Connect the new modules to the Ocelot without the existing modules connected.

Re-apply power to the Ocelot.

Apply power to the new module.

Auto address.

Before pressing any buttons on the new modules, press the skip module (or skit address button. I'm looking at the program right now but it's one or the other :-) button on the computer screen until the desired address for the new modules is displayed.

Press the button on the new module to accept the address.

Do this for each new module (you can do all the new modules at once by connecting them together and auto addressing all the new modules. Just make sure you don't duplicate any addresses of existing modules).

Remove power from the Ocelot and new modules you have just addressed.

Connect the new modules in your existing daisy chain and give them power.

Reconnect the original Com and B wires in your daisy chain to your Ocelot.

Apply power to the Ocelot.

You should be good to go.

Kevin Barrett
    ADI Tech Support

Comment

That will save me a lot of crawling around under my house and in my attic!!

Comment

The reason why Kevin's instructions work is that even though the individual modules retain their addresses in non-volatile memory; whenever you initiate the auto-address sequence in C-Max, the master sends out a special command to tell any connected modules to forget their current address, thus destroying the non volatile value previously learned. By physically disconnecting these modules, they don't get this special command and thus retain their addresses.

-----------------------------
        If you don't know what you're doing... do it neatly.

Comment

If I connect my new Bobcats close to my computer and the Ocelot and calibrate them there, with a thermometer and humidistat of known accuracy, and then disconnect and move them to their permanent location, will they need to be calibrated again? Does the length of the connecting wire affect the calibration?

I did this with the first two Bobcats I got. When I moved them into the crawlspace under my house, the humidity Bobcat was 6% off and the temp Bobcat was 2 degrees off. I had to adjust the calibration of both. The only thing I can think of is that it must be because the wire is longer now than when I initially calibrated them. That would make sense if the Bobcat only sends the Ocelot a variable voltage that varies with humidity because a longer wire would cause a slight voltage drop. But, if the Bobcat is sending a digital signal, I wouldn't expect the wire lenght to matter.

Comment

If the "connecting wires" you are referring to are the RS-485 bus wires connecting the bobcats to the Ocelot then no, they have absolutely no effect on calibration. These wires carry digital data across the bus. If you mean that you cut the short wire going from the bobcat to the temperature probe and really lengthened it, then there could be a very slight effect, but I don't think this is what you're talking about. The calibrating you're doing is simply writing values into the bobcat's non-volatile memory. One thing however: I don't know if auto addressing the modules could also have the effect of resetting any calibration settings to default. I don't think so but maybe ADI could just confirm this.

-----------------------------
            If you don't know what you're doing... do it neatly.

Comment

Working...
            X