Ceiling Fans

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ceiling Fans

I have 3 ceiling fans with lights I have a GE z-wave fan switch for the fan itself and a z-wave dimmer switch for the light. I would like to say "hey google, turn on the living room ceiling fan." OK, I can day this, and Google even says it is turning on the ceiling fan, but it does not come on. If I say "turn on the living room ceiling fan light" it tells me it does not know which living room ceiling fan light I want to turn on. The switches are set up with No Floor assigned, the room is set to Living Room and the Names are Ceiling Fan and Ceiling Fan Light. Is there a way to get these to work? I am already not hapy about loosing the Floor as a way of filtering in the web view since we only have 1 living room and I don't want to include the floor in the voice command. I would rather not make the names different, as in Living Room Fan and Living Room Ceiling Fan Light and I am using the Voice Command option to set these. Ideally I will later have multiple Home Minis in various rooms and the room receiving the command will be controlled where multiple ceiling fans exist so I would like to set it up ready for this to happen. Any advice?
    Karl S
    HS4Pro on Windows 10
    1070 Devices
    56 Z-Wave Nodes
    104 Events
    HSTouch Clients: 3 Android, 1 iOS
    Google Home: 3 Mini units, 1 Pair Audios, 2 Displays

I found it was difficult to use GH with HS when it comes to device names and the way they are parsed and recognized.
    If you are using the same word (living, room, light,fan etc.) in the device's names or floors, it becomes a nightmare, even worse if these words are used in GH shortcuts or in HS device's word-command field...
    Using many Home Minis would be very challenging.
    Right now the best results for me are using IFTT to trigger HS events. It works flawlessly and the vocal confirmation can be customized easily.
    I just say "living-room lights" to toggle the living-room lights either off or in my usual scene.
    The delay is about one sec.
    You should be able to use "living-room fan" or "room-fan" to toggle your devices, or "cool the living room", or "all fans on" to turn them on, using HS events and IFTT if a short delay is ok with you.
    Visit zee e-maison : http://www.e-maison.com

Comment

IFTTT is not an option to me. I have had a far from flawless experience with it and refuse to use it again. I find it as nothing better than a poor workaround.

So basically I need to not have Ceiling Fan Light and Ceiling Fan as separate voice commands because HomeSeer or Google Home is adding Light to the end of any command? I believe I read this someplace and think it was about the Hoe unit.

I have played with a few setups and found expecting the Room to be used as in "Turn on the living room lights" does not work to pull the room from HomeSeer but if I use the Home app to assign a Room to HomeSeer items, that works well. This is a disappointment, though, as adding a new device apparently means re-associating the unit with HomeSeer which means removing HomeSeer and then adding it, so now all my room associations are gone. Sure, I don't add devices often, but I do at times and still have about a dozen light switches to replace in the house.

Are there good directions for setting the Google Home up with HomeSeer? I couldn't find much and am wondering if I have done some things in a poor way.
      Karl S
      HS4Pro on Windows 10
      1070 Devices
      56 Z-Wave Nodes
      104 Events

Comment

Resolved

The wall switch for the fan apparently did not install with a Control Use set to On in the Status Graphics. Changing Alternate On to On is all that was needed. I kept the Value at 255 to have it come on at the last setting. I found that the Status text can be anything, the Control Use is the important part.

I also found that having two devices where the only difference in the Voice Command was the addition of the word Light was no good as Google Home replied that it did not know which light to control. The Voice Command was set to:
        • Ceiling Fan
        • Ceiling Fan Light

Changing the command for the Fan to either of these did work:
        • Fan
        • Ceiling Fan Fan

I just need to figure out which has the largest FAF (Family Acceptance Factor).

Karl
        Karl S
        HS4Pro on Windows 10
        1070 Devices
        56 Z-Wave Nodes
        104 Events

Comment

Working...
        X