Unifi Controller Wifi user connect/disconnect data

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by vasrc View Post
    Actually it does (the running on the same machine)
    my controller is on a Unifi cloud key (standalone device about the size of a carton of cigarettes) so there are no local files to access. Remote syslogging is just an old unix process that lets you log to another computer

Z

Gotcha. It doesn't matter as long as it's all on the same network. The logs aren't generated by the controller. They com from the APs themselves. Just like most things Unifi this works when the controller is down. You use the controller to point the logs from the APs to the HS machine. I often don't have the controller running. One of the options for event triggers with UltraLog is the source IP. When I get a log from the outside AP saying that the MAC of my phone has connected I run an event.
    Originally posted by rprade
    There is no rhyme or reason to the anarchy a defective Z-Wave device can cause

Comment

Originally posted by S-F View Post
      Gotcha. It doesn't matter as long as it's all on the same network. The logs aren't generated by the controller. They com from the APs themselves. Just like most things Unifi this works when the controller is down. You use the controller to point the logs from the APs to the HS machine. I often don't have the controller running. One of the options for event triggers with UltraLog is the source IP. When I get a log from the outside AP saying that the MAC of my phone has connected I run an event.
      I guess that's the part I'm missing. How are you actually getting the logs from the AP's (or controller for that matter) to your PC?
      Also, what text are you parsing for? There's a ton of data sent in the logs..

Thanks,
      Z

Comment

In the Unifi controller you select use a syslog server or whatever and give it the ip address and syslog port of your HS machine. The APs then start sending logs and you can shut down the Unifi controller. For UltraLog events I look for a line indicating that a certain phones MAC has connected or disconnected and I also look for a unique identifier for the specific AP I'm wanting to work with. I just looked at the syslog output in UltraLog to figure out what meant what.
        Attached Files

Comment

Mine is now working! The key was to use the ip address of the access point for syslog entries. I was using the ip address of the computer that was running the controller software. My syslog software is Kiwi and it requires one to enter the ip address of the source that the syslog files are coming from.

Now that I have the APs logging, I can use mac address to know when someone is at my house or not, or even to do geolocating within my house. I have BLLogmonitor scan the syslog files for the mac address and turn on virtual variables representing presence or absence.

Thank you all for helping me out!

Comment

In the Unifi controller you select use a syslog server or whatever and give it the ip address and syslog port of your HS machine. The APs then start sending logs and you can shut down the Unifi controller. For UltraLog events I look for a line indicating that a certain phones MAC has connected or disconnected and I also look for a unique identifier for the specific AP I'm wanting to work with. I just looked at the syslog output in UltraLog to figure out what meant what.
            Ahh... Remote syslogging

Do you ever have problems when your device "moves" to another AP? I'm assuming you'll get a disconnect then?

Thanks,
            Z

Comment

When a device moves from one AP to another you get messages from the original AP of a disconnection and a message from the new AP of connection. I believe it says associated and disassociated. The example above is for my phone connecting (associating) to my outside AP. It works flawlessly. I also have a Uniquiti AP that isn't Unifi and when my phone connects to it I still get the dissociated message from the AP I'm leaving. It works very well. The only catch is that you have to have your APs laid out well. I recently moved one and now my phone will be a little stubborn about disconnecting when I go inside.

Comment

Originally posted by vasrc View Post
                Ahh... Remote syslogging

Do you ever have problems when your device "moves" to another AP? I'm assuming you'll get a disconnect then?

Thanks,
                Z
                Nevermind..

User[xx] roams from "channel 36(na)" to "channel 1(ng)" at AP[xx]

Z

Comment

Are you using zero handoff? I am not as I found it to not work very well and regular roaming between the Unifi APs is pretty good.

Comment

I quit using zero handoff because I had a lot of problems with it. I have had a low fewer issues using 3 APs on channels 1,6, and 11.
                    Also, UltraLog3 appears to be a better plug in for this purpose than BL Logmonitor. UltraLog3 allows searching of the hostname as well as the syslog contents. BL Logmonitor just allows the search of a continuous string. The reason this matters is that the string that includes the AP MAC address and the device MAC address has the version number in between. So updating the AP firmware would break any BL Logmonitor events, while they wouldn't break the UltraLog3 events shown in post #18 by S-F.

Comment

Originally posted by jono View Post
                      So updating the AP firmware would break any BL Logmonitor events, while they wouldn't break the UltraLog3 events shown in post #18 by S-F.

Just keep in mind: A few years ago an update broke my setup and I had to re figure out the log parsing all over again.

Comment

Are you using zero handoff? I am not as I found it to not work very well and regular roaming between the Unifi APs is pretty good.
                        Nope, as you noted, roaming works quite well, especially with the range of the new AP/AC Pro & LR devices.

The Unifi Browser I have going now is scary how much data it provides. There's even a "Rogue" API call that lists every AP that happens by. Astounding how many people leave their Hotspot turned on, even way out here ...

Z

Comment

Just keep in mind: A few years ago an update broke my setup and I had to re figure out the log parsing all over again.
                          I might be able to wildcard the entries for version number. If that is the case one could make BLLogmonitor work through a version update assuming the format doesn't change.

Comment

I think I understand most of it. But, how do I find the syslog port of my HS3 machine ? And I am using Ultralogmon, but I don't know how to read the syslog output. I guess its a file stored which I can open with something like notepad ? Is that just the file my Unifi stores on the HS machine, then its easy

Comment

Originally posted by mikee123 View Post
                              I think I understand most of it. But, how do I find the syslog port of my HS3 machine ? And I am using Ultralogmon, but I don't know how to read the syslog output. I guess its a file stored which I can open with something like notepad ? Is that just the file my Unifi stores on the HS machine, then its easy
                              I set this up in about 5 mins last night. Downloaded the trial of UltraLog3 and the only config option I changed was "Enable Syslog on Startup". Then I restarted the plugin.

In the Unifi Controller software, I checked the Settings -> Site -> Advanced -> Enable Remote Syslog Server. Then entered the IP address of my HS3 machine and the default syslog port of 514.

I then restarted one of my APs from the controller to force some activity and went back to the Syslog tab in the UltraLog Syslog tab.

I now see the AP activity in the Syslog tab and can use the UltraSyslog trigger in events.

Going to play with this over the next couple of days.
                              cheeryfool

Comment

Ok that should be easy enough then, I found the syslog tab, I have not enabled syslog but I'm doing that now. Going to enable the remote syslog server tonight and from there it should be very straightforward. Thanks

Comment

Working...
                                X