device to install at overhead light?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

device to install at overhead light?

Does anyone make an 'inline' device that can be installed at the overhead fixture?

for example, i have an older house (no neutral at switches). Instead of fishing new wires. It would be fantastic, if there was a device that i could just put at the fixture itself, where the existing wall switches and the z-wave device would both be able to monitor/control the light.

i saw the micro switches, but i dont think they will do what i want or will it?

I'm look at this switch here: http://store.homeseer.com/store/Aeon...P1357C101.aspx

and wonder if it will work if i install it at the fixture(not to mention allow existing 3-way switches to operate)

so i ask, will this device work for what i'm looking to do, if i install it at the fixture?
    Last edited by fischb22; February 16, 2014, 01:28 AM. Reason: oops

Hi,

The device will do what you want, although officially it's been designed to be installed at the switch box. There are a number of z-wave switches and dimmers that work without a neutral, but the micro-switch will work in places that those types of switches won't work. Most of my house has neutrals at the switch boxes, but whoever wired the basement neglected to do so there, so I used a few of the micro switches in the same way that you are looking to do. I ended up using mine with some modified Leviton Vizia RF remote switches to get the same look and feel as my other switches. I also used one with a traditional 3-way circuit and that works great too.

One thing to keep in mind is that the terminals on the micro-switches are small so it's very fiddly to get the wires connected, especially those that go to the switch as those terminals are intended for 18 gauge wire, but 14 can be made to work. 12 will definitely not work. Because of that, I would limit the use to situations where there are no alternatives. Expect to use a few flowery words, so make sure there aren't any small kids around when you install them .

Cheers
    Al
    HS 4.2.8.0: 2134 Devices 1252 Events
    Z-Wave 3.0.10.0: 133 Nodes on one Z-Net

Comment

thats what i was hoping, that i could just take the 'hot' and 'switch leg' and rewire them to the switch on the micro.

i went ahead and ordered one, im farily confident i can wire it up where it will do what i want, and if it does, i'll get more...i have way too many 3 and 4 way switch setups in my house to replace all them. this is a much more affordable solution.

(i'm an industrial automation controls programmer, should not really be an issue, but i'm not use to 'home owner grade' stuff.

Comment

A few more thoughts on these:

- For a few extra dollars you can get the "Smart" version that measures power usage. Money well spent IMHO.
        - With the Micro Illuminator, I don't believe you have the ability to do local dimming. If dimming is not important, get the Micro Switch instead as it supports all types of loads, not just incandescent.
        - The Micro Illuminator does not support 3/4 way circuits with live wires as the switching circuit. The Micro Switch does support that and that's how I've wired mine. (See picture below).
        - Aeotec lists additional wiring schematics for the Micro Illuminator that are not contained in the supplied instructions here: http://aeotec.com/support/1218-micro...chematics.html
        - Aeotec lists additional wiring schematics for the Micro Switch that are not contained in the supplied instructions here: http://aeotec.com/support/1219-micro...chematics.html
        - This post shows how to modify a cheap Leviton remote switch to control the Micro Switch/Illuminator: http://board.homeseer.com/showthread.php?p=1103538

Cheers
        Al
        Attached Files
        Last edited by sparkman; February 16, 2014, 08:13 PM.

Comment

I did order the 18103 smart energy switch. I don't need dimming (CFLs)

I know you can't hook a live load to it. Power in this old house comes to the fixture then to the switches.

Comment

Originally posted by fischb22 View Post
            I know you can't hook a live load to it.
            You can to the switches but not the dimmers, see picture above. Should not apply to your situation though as you should be able to use the scenarios with no live wiring depicted on the Aeotec website.

Comment

Originally posted by sparkman View Post
              You can to the switches but not the dimmers, see picture above. Should not apply to your situation though as you should be able to use the scenarios with no live wiring depicted on the Aeotec website.
              oh, i did not have a close enough look at the image.

so i can basically, just unhook the 'hot' wire going to the fixture and run that to the micro-switch.

that will make it even easier to install

Comment

Yes you can, but I would recommend against it if you have other options. You need to change the wiring in the junction box anyways to wire in the micro switch itself, so doesn't take much more to connect the extra wire into it.

Cheers
                Al

Comment

Sorry for the thread bump, but did you just unhook the wire or change the whole plug? I'm facing a similar option.

Comment

i unhooked the hot and neutral AT the fixture, and wired it as above. done this on 5 different fixtures in my house.

Comment

Working...
                    X