PFSense Firewall Group purchase interest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Rvtravlr View Post
    Okay, so I ordered one of these access points but did not order the cloud key. I believe that I don't need it.

Thanks everyone!

So, the controller is technically passive aside from some advanced features. It is pretty skimp on resource requirements. I have mine running 24*7 on a cheap RPI I had laying around, and have not had a single problem yet.

Do note that Ubiquiti devices (cameras, and APs) are 24/48 V passive which is not equivalent to POE/POE+ AT/AF. Ubiquiti gives you a power injector... use it, or buy the Poe/+ at/af converter if you are intent on using your switch's POE. If you attempt to use poe from a standard Poe/+ switch you will kill the Ubiquiti device.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Kerat View Post
      So, the controller is technically passive aside from some advanced features. It is pretty skimp on resource requirements. I have mine running 24*7 on a cheap RPI I had laying around, and have not had a single problem yet.

Do note that Ubiquiti devices (cameras, and APs) are 24/48 V passive which is not equivalent to POE/POE+ AT/AF. Ubiquiti gives you a power injector... use it, or buy the Poe/+ at/af converter if you are intent on using your switch's POE. If you attempt to use poe from a standard Poe/+ switch you will kill the Ubiquiti device.

Not 100% true regarding POE. Some devices use passive 24V, but some of the newer ones use standard POE AF/AT. The new UAP-AC-PRO for example. I've also got a UBNT US-8-60W switch and it has been stellar. Probably about to buy another.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Kerat View Post

Just as a point of information, the reason I chose the UAP-AC-PRO is that it DOES support 802.3af PoE/802.3at PoE+, unlike the Lite and the LR.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.PNG
Views:	1
Size:	16.0 KB
ID:	1191572
        HS4 Pro, 4.2.19.0 Windows 10 pro, Supermicro LP Xeon

Comment

Back to PFSense, if this is sitting on my WAN, does it support PPPoE for my fibre connection to my ISP or how do I authenticate?

Robert
          HS3PRO 3.0.0.500 as a Fire Daemon service, Windows 2016 Server Std Intel Core i5 PC HTPC Slim SFF 4GB, 120GB SSD drive, WLG800, RFXCom, TI103,NetCam, UltraNetcam3, BLBackup, CurrentCost 3P Rain8Net, MCsSprinker, HSTouch, Ademco Security plugin/AD2USB, JowiHue, various Oregon Scientific temp/humidity sensors, Z-Net, Zsmoke, Aeron Labs micro switches, Amazon Echo Dots, WS+, WD+ ... on and on.

Comment

Originally posted by langenet View Post
            Back to PFSense, if this is sitting on my WAN, does it support PPPoE for my fibre connection to my ISP or how do I authenticate?

Robert
            +1 I'd like to know as well.
            I currently use the ATT-provided modem and use my DD-WRT router to PPPoE. I'm hopeful pfSense can do it all so I can get rid of these.
            HS4Pro on a Raspberry Pi4
            54 Z-Wave Nodes / 21 Zigbee Devices / 108 Events / 767 Devices
            Plugins: Z-Wave / Zigbee Plus / EasyTrigger / AK Weather / OMNI

HSTouch Clients: 1 Android

Comment

Originally posted by Pete View Post
              How often are new 'stable' versions released?

I have not paid much attention this year as I see a tickle on the dashboard and update.

I have not had issues with the updates.

Before the Community release I was testing betas and sometimes I would have issues and have to do a few things hands on. Never had any issues using standard releases.

I would utilize the forum and always got help there.

Seems like with this being the keeper of the front door, I would want to stay really up to date. That is contrary to my normal approach to updates.

The updates do not happen automatically; you decide if you want to update.

That said you can read on the forum prior to updating if you want.

If you get a 'stable' version, does it generally run well without problems?

yes

BTW my username on the PFSense forum is Pete. Have a look at the forum which is ===> PFSense Forum

Most questions I asked about related to the NTP / PPS configuration I configured concurrent to PFSense integration of NTP use of GPS with PPS.
              Hi Pete,

Just curious, have you ever looked at Sophos? They have a new firewall called Sophos XG. They also have an comprehensive home license that gives you almost every feature for free, and just limits the number of IP addresses it will support actively traversing the gateway at any point in time (50). It's not fully open source, but it does have a fairly active board.

HS3 : HSpro (3.0.0.460) on Win2012 (vm on ESXi)
              Plugins: HSTouch, UPBSpud, Kinect, Nest, IFTTT, DirecTV, EasyTrigger, Imperihome, Zwave, RFXcom, UltraMon3, UltraWeatherBug3, UltraGCIR3, UltraLog3, UltraPioneer, PHLocation, Pushover, Pushalot, MCSSPrinklers S, JowiHue
              Jon00 Plugins: Bluetooth Proximity, Performance Monitor, DB Chart, Links

Comment

Originally posted by langenet View Post

Robert
                It has a PPPoE server that can be enabled and configured
                HS4 Pro, 4.2.19.0 Windows 10 pro, Supermicro LP Xeon

Comment

Just curious, have you ever looked at Sophos? They have a new firewall called Sophos XG.

I have not looked at Sophos. The Sophos XG is very nice.

Personally here went to software firewalls with first internet DSL internet connectivity in the 1990's.

Historically the SOHO home router was a combination router, switch, access point device which typically was rented from the ISP.

Here the endeavor is to provide or find a nanoITX sized 4 network port computer that can be utilized for a software/firmware embedded firewall which is easy to set up via the web gui and allows for many features (plugins).
                  - Pete

Auto mator
                  Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
                  Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
                  HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
                  HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

For people using Verizon Fios, does it require a Verizon router get tv guide information to the cable box? Where would you connect PFSense firewall/router?

Comment

With my original FIOS combination router (with wireless AP) here left the FIOS to STB boxes network alone. I then configured a bridge from the FIOS internet port to one network port then to my firewall and I went to a separate wireless access point disabling the one on the FIOS box.

Such that it was two networks...one for television and one for my internet access.

The STB's (set top boxes) are little digital computers today and not at all similar to the cable box of yesteryear.

You can do similar with any combination ISP provided box these days.
                      - Pete

Auto mator
                      Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
                      Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Thanks Pete. Does video on demand work as normal after bridging FIOS router?

Comment

Originally posted by Pete View Post
                          Just curious, have you ever looked at Sophos? They have a new firewall called Sophos XG.

I have not looked at Sophos. The Sophos XG is very nice.

Personally here went to software firewalls with first internet DSL internet connectivity in the 1990's.

Historically the SOHO home router was a combination router, switch, access point device which typically was rented from the ISP.

Here the endeavor is to provide or find a nanoITX sized 4 network port computer that can be utilized for a software/firmware embedded firewall which is easy to set up via the web gui and allows for many features (plugins).
                          Not sure if you are aware that Sophos is a software security appliance. They also sell physical appliances, but you can certainly download the software and run on your own HW. It is not as broadly compatible as most linux distros, but it works on quite a bit of hardware. There is a list of known good hardware on the sophos board. Sophos has configurable updates--can be automatic, or manual, or in-between. Also has snort, e-mail, vpn--both site to site, and client server, AV, application control, you name it, it has it.

Years ago I when I was still on Clear (successor to clarkconnect) I did a bunch of research into firewall software appliances. At the time Sophos UTM seemed to be by far the most advanced, and the best "deal" because of the home license.

HS3 : HSpro (3.0.0.460) on Win2012 (vm on ESXi)
                          Plugins: HSTouch, UPBSpud, Kinect, Nest, IFTTT, DirecTV, EasyTrigger, Imperihome, Zwave, RFXcom, UltraMon3, UltraWeatherBug3, UltraGCIR3, UltraLog3, UltraPioneer, PHLocation, Pushover, Pushalot, MCSSPrinklers S, JowiHue
                          Jon00 Plugins: Bluetooth Proximity, Performance Monitor, DB Chart, Links

Comment

Does video on demand work as normal after bridging FIOS router?

Yes everything is the same cuz you are using the original FIOS LAN network for you STB's and DVR's and another network for internet surfing and stuff.
                            - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

Great. I will google some guide on how to set it up. Do I need to ask Verison switching the output on ONT from Moca to RJ45?

Comment

I was not aware that Sophos was software. You could ideally run it on the box we are writing about with no issues.

I mean if you are familiar with the software and have been using it for a long time then really there is no need to switch software.

In the 90's though there was not much of a worry about your home network being hijacked.

With this group buy it is more related to a souped up nanoITX motherboard with 4 NICs with an Intel CPU at hopefully a good price of around $100.

The mention of PFSense/BSD is just related to me using it over the years. That said the box will run just about any OS.

Many times here on the forum I have written about trying stuff relating to DIY hardware. I write about PFSense because I am using it. I also write now about OpenWRT because I am tinkering with it. The new micro routers are miniature marvels with CPU's now that are running at 800Mhz single core with up to some 256Mb of memory which was never seen before in the little microrouters.
                                - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

Working...
                                X