No announcement yet.

Spotty Wi-Fi? Hear How a Detroit Couple Fixed the Problem in their New House

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As posted in the pfSense thread, we just swapped out older unmanaged switches and Netgear router for Unifi switches (POE and POE+) and an AP-AC-Pro. The improvement is astonishing.

Randy,

Are you using the same SSIDs for each band? I have different ones so I can force certain devices to one or the other. Your thoughts?
    Michael

Comment

Originally posted by Rvtravlr View Post
      As posted in the pfSense thread, we just swapped out older unmanaged switches and Netgear router for Unifi switches (POE and POE+) and an AP-AC-Pro. The improvement is astonishing.

Randy,

Are you using the same SSIDs for each band? I have different ones so I can force certain devices to one or the other. Your thoughts?
      I did the same. I use a different SSID for each band. It was the only way I could reliably steer devices to the correct radio. The same SSIDs for each band are used on all three APs.
      HS4 Pro, 4.2.19.0 Windows 10 pro, Supermicro LP Xeon

Comment

Originally posted by rprade View Post
        I did the same. I use a different SSID for each band. It was the only way I could reliably steer devices to the correct radio. The same SSIDs for each band are used on all three APs.

How do you decide the connection to each band? I've considered setting up radio power thresholds, but I am out of my element there.

Comment

Originally posted by waynehead99 View Post
          How do you decide the connection to each band? I've considered setting up radio power thresholds, but I am out of my element there.
          I choose the SSID of the band I want to connect to. I left power and channel selection on the 5ghz band as automatic. The 2.4ghz radios are reduced in power slightly and the channels are manually assigned. At full power the 2.4 would not hand off between radios and would occasionally drop connections. A recent firmware update is supposed to have addressed some of the auto configuration and handoff issues. The primary AP is on one channel at 22dbm power and the two secondaries are on a different channel and reduced to 18dbm. The 5ghz works exactly as it should without any manual configuration.

Comment

I choose the SSID of the band I want to connect to. I left power and channel selection on the 5ghz band as automatic. The 2.4ghz radios are reduced in power slightly and the channels are manually assigned. At full power the 2.4 would not hand off between radios and would occasionally drop connections. A recent firmware update is supposed to have addressed some of the auto configuration and handoff issues. The primary AP is on one channel at 22dbm power and the two secondaries are on a different channel and reduced to 18dbm. The 5ghz works exactly as it should without any manual configuration.

I have a single LITE version. My experience with hosting both 2.4 and 5GHz wifi networks is as follows: I have the same SSID name and encryption type for both 2.4 and 5GHz bands and use band steering to push devices to the 5GHz range. I have heard that some people have trouble with band steering but it hasn't been a problem I have noticed. I am on unifi controller 5.0.7 and I am running a beta F/W on my AP.
            One possible explanation is that (desktops, servers, and network equipment aside), my house tends to refresh wireless based tech (smart phones, laptops, and tablets) every 1-2 years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Kerat View Post
              I have a single LITE version. My experience with hosting both 2.4 and 5GHz wifi networks is as follows: I have the same SSID name and encryption type for both 2.4 and 5GHz bands and use band steering to push devices to the 5GHz range. I have heard that some people have trouble with band steering but it hasn't been a problem I have noticed. I am on unifi controller 5.0.7 and I am running a beta F/W on my AP.
              One possible explanation is that (desktops, servers, and network equipment aside), my house tends to refresh wireless based tech (smart phones, laptops, and tablets) every 1-2 years.

Band steering didn't work reliably at all here when I installed the APs in January. I may try it again since the controller software and AP firmware has gone through a number of revisions.

As a sidebar it really irritates me that when running a beta AP firmware, the UniFi controller offers the older release firmware as an upgrade.

Fortunately it looks like the beta became a release version.

Comment

Band steering didn't work reliably at all here when I installed the APs in January. I may try it again since the controller software and AP firmware has gone through a number of revisions.

As a sidebar it really irritates me that when running a beta AP firmware, the UniFi controller offers the older release firmware as an upgrade.

Agreed, the controller seems to always want to push the approved firmware. You can disable the auto-update feature but then you still get the update firmware prompt.

I started playing with Ubiquiti at work when the uap V1's were still in production. That version was very expensive (mainly due to the hardware costs). My remaining Ubiquiti UAP V.1s at work are still managed on a 3.x unifi controller. We froze it there mainly due to problems with reliability and compatibility problems with the 4.x controller and associated firmwares on the UAP V1 models.

Comment

Originally posted by Kerat View Post
                  Agreed, the controller seems to always want to push the approved firmware. You can disable the auto-update feature but then you still get the update firmware prompt.

I started playing with Ubiquiti at work when the uap V1's were still in production. That version was very expensive (mainly due to the hardware costs). My remaining Ubiquiti UAP V.1s at work are still managed on a 3.x unifi controller. We froze it there mainly due to problems with reliability and compatibility problems with the 4.x controller and associated firmwares on the UAP V1 models.

With the new firmware and controller software (probably not a factor), I went back to the same SSID for both radios, auto power and auto channel assignment. I enabled band steering and it is all working as it should. My devices are finding the correct AP, handing off as they should and connecting to a 5.0 radio if they are capable. It looks like Ubiquiti might have worked out the kinks.

I'll let it run for a while and see if it remains well behaved.

Comment

Randy,

What firmware version are you running?
                    Michael

Comment

BTW OP mentioned a move to Detroit, MI.

Here is a tiny news clip indicating where Detroit is headed right now...

Half the candidates in Detroit mayoral election are felons, analysis shows

Half the candidates in next week’s Detroit mayoral primary have been convicted of felony crimes, according to a local analysis.

The Detroit News found three of the eight mayoral hopefuls have faced gun charges -- two for assault with intent to commit murder -- and a fourth candidate pleaded guilty to a non-gun charge years ago. While some of these cases date back to the 1970s, some are more recent.

Under Michigan state election law, convicted felons can vote and run for office, so long as they are not incarcerated or guilty of crimes breaching public trust. The nonpartisan primary will narrow the field down to two candidates who will face off in November.

The candidates are apparently open about their histories. Greg Bowens, a political consultant and former press secretary to former Detroit Mayor Dennis Archer, told The Detroit News that the rap sheets aren't unique to this election or Detroit.
                      - Pete

Auto mator
                      Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
                      Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
                      HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
                      HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Originally posted by Rvtravlr View Post
                        Randy,

What firmware version are you running?
                        Controller: 5.4.19
                        AP: 3.8.3.6587

Comment

Working...
                        X