Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HomeSeer MQTT plugin.

B for brilliant! Dzjee,

If anyone had any doubt or lost any creativity in what you can do with your HomeSeer system then I challenge you to think again! You really have no idea!

====> Enter the HomeSeer MQTT Plugin

The ability to create topics (events in other words) out of dumb devices and make the system use less resources and smarter by avoiding complex events and/or scripts. I will let others define this but my simple explanation is first off, is when MQTT was introduced to HomeSeer forums it was all about sensors, weather and the like! Now that put off alot of the likes of me until I had look again by searching anything I could do with my HomeSeer system ===> MQTT to ==> anything. What's the catch? No. 1 It's light weight thus it does not hog the system like other protocols. 2. Read all about it!

Now picture this!! ===> You enter your DoorBird devices, Cameras, lights, Tasker plugin devices and so much more! I tried it the Kodi2mqtt .........spare you the rest.
    HSTouch? ====> In the HomeSeer events ,show a screen by itself ,Then MQTT : publish a custom topic ...........................and the list goes ooooooooon!

You can even have more fun if your HomeSeer system is Windows by also adding EventGhost, the HomeSeer EventGhost plugin and EventGhost-MQTT Client for it can subcribe to multipal Brokers!

Need we say more?

Best of regards you all.

Eman.
    Last edited by Eman; December 7, 2016, 04:12 AM.
    TinkerLand : Life's Choices,"No One Size Fits All"

So you think it's good?

I use it and it's excellent

Comment

Now this seems duanting at first but when you see it in real time then you know that anybody can configure it!

Images below:

1. start a putty session and connect to the broker (Mosquitto) and subscribe to a topic /homeSeer/# ====> that brings in everything you want to publish from HomeSeer server.

2. Then create an event in HomeSeer (can be triggered by anything/but try manual first)

Topic = /homeseer/Reference ID/string

Message= What you want.

3. If your HomeSeer is on Windows you can also see it in EventGhost.

Nice?

Now if you like it go and say lots of kisses , Merry Xmass and thank you to the author from saving you sleepless nights trying to create scripts and complex events just do simple things! (Don't forget! Mosquitto is light weight!......... Read all about it)

Note: Don't mind my putty (abit dirty), could not get it the first time!

Eman.
      Attached Files

Comment

can you use this to link EventGhost and Homeseer? I used to use a plugin for HS2 to link HS2 and EventGhost...but I'm not sure that plugin works any longer...

--Dan
        Tasker, to a person who does Homeautomation...is like walking up to a Crack Treatment facility with a truck full of 3lb bags of crack. Then for each person that walks in and out smack them in the face with an open bag.

Comment

Originally posted by drozwood90 View Post
          can you use this to link EventGhost and Homeseer? I used to use a plugin for HS2 to link HS2 and EventGhost...but I'm not sure that plugin works any longer...

--Dan
          Yes,
          There's a new plugin in the updater. You can even create your custom topics and use them to trigger other events and also in other systems which subscribe to the topics you create. Could be Node-red, Jeedom or any MQTT enabled system.

Note: There's also a plugin for EventGhost in the updater if you still want to do more!

Eman.

Comment

Sounds neat. I messed with it last night. I could not get Homeseer to connect to my MQTT server. I ran the one included with Ultimate Servers Pro (Android market). The EventGhost connected and was doing...uhmm...things...not sure how to validate anything at this time.

I'm assuming I still have things messed up or not configured properly. The terminology is confusing to me right now. I'll probably just have to find a guide to follow so I can set everything up.

Too bad I need to run yet another server to make this work, but if it does work well, I'm willing to setup a second virtual machine to run just this...to me, it is like running a large app. Especially the Android x86 virtual machines. Those do not use very many resources at all.

Any tips on getting the Homeseer plugin to connect? As I said, the EventGhost connected without issue. Any suggestions on guides I should look at to get the skinny on how to setup and get this all running?

--Dan
            Tasker, to a person who does Homeautomation...is like walking up to a Crack Treatment facility with a truck full of 3lb bags of crack. Then for each person that walks in and out smack them in the face with an open bag.

Comment

I run mosquitto as my mqtt broker. I have it running on a raspberry pi. I'll give it a try on the HS3 machine. I can't see why it wouldn't work.

Comment

I recently set up MQTT as well. I couldn't get the mosquitto broker running on my Windows 10 HS3 machine. It would install but I couldn't ever get it to start. I installed it on a raspberry pi and have had no trouble at all. Using Node-Red to publish data from the pi.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by epimetheus View Post
                  I recently set up MQTT as well. I couldn't get the mosquitto broker running on my Windows 10 HS3 machine. It would install but I couldn't ever get it to start. I installed it on a raspberry pi and have had no trouble at all. Using Node-Red to publish data from the pi.

Follow instructions from here: https://sivatechworld.wordpress.com/...ith-windows-7/ (To run on Windows)

Eman.

Comment

Originally posted by Eman View Post
                    Follow instructions from here: https://sivatechworld.wordpress.com/...ith-windows-7/ (To run on Windows)

Eman.
                    Yep, that's the guide I followed. I think one of the problems was the SSL package linked to in the guide and the mosquitto installer didn't contain the dll's needed. I found those dll's in another installer package (.Net I think) on my computer, but the service or the executable still wouldn't run. I've got it running fine on a raspberry pi. Even if I have to dedicate a pi to it, is still probably more reliable than a Windows machine.

Comment

Originally posted by epimetheus View Post
                      Yep, that's the guide I followed. I think one of the problems was the SSL package linked to in the guide and the mosquitto installer didn't contain the dll's needed. I found those dll's in another installer package (.Net I think) on my computer, but the service or the executable still wouldn't run. I've got it running fine on a raspberry pi. Even if I have to dedicate a pi to it, is still probably more reliable than a Windows machine.

This is what I did; dedicated a Pi to it (and it indeed is more reliable than the Win10 box HS runs on...)

This right now without a doubt is my favorite HS plugin at the moment

Comment

Here too,

started off with the Windows version (I think you have to run as administrator) but turned off the service. You can't beat the raspberry PI (especially the model 3). You can now even turn it into more of a beast! check this out:http://wdlabs.wd.com/category/wd-pidrive/ and when you deside to go pro. it doesn't get any better than these railboxes here: http://www.watterott.com/index.php?p...ilbox&x=11&y=8

Obsessed with cooling I managed to stick a fan in mine!

Eman.
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by Eman; January 8, 2017, 05:52 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Eman View Post
                          Here too,

started off with the Windows version (I think you have to run as administrator) but turned off the service. You can't beat the raspberry PI (especially the modle 3). You can now even turn it into more of a beast! check this out:http://wdlabs.wd.com/category/wd-pidrive/ and when you deside to go pro. it doesn't get any better than these railboxes here: http://www.watterott.com/index.php?p...ilbox&x=11&y=8

Obsessed with cooling I managed to stick a fan in mine!

Eman.
                          Very nice! Embarrassed to say been to lazy to move mine to the server rack, so sitting under the desk in my office. Maybe during our shutdown at work I'll clean that up.

Comment

I'm slowly (and very excitedly) getting into this, and was curious if anyone has found a way to auto publish all HS devices into an MQTT broker somehow? This seems like a great linkage between various Automation systems, and I'd rather not (I'm lazy - I know) hit about 600-700 checkboxes

Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by terafin View Post
                              I'm slowly (and very excitedly) getting into this, and was curious if anyone has found a way to auto publish all HS devices into an MQTT broker somehow? This seems like a great linkage between various Automation systems, and I'd rather not (I'm lazy - I know) hit about 600-700 checkboxes

Thanks!
                              Yes,
                              The plugin is in the updater. Just read through the help file where you will find a link to the plugin forum.
                              But in short if you want to publish any of the HomeSeer devices at a time of your choosing then you wll start off in Mosquito by ====> mosquitto_sub -t /homeseer/# And thats it. Any future publications of the HomeSeer devices would ====> You pick a device you want to publish and input it's address I'D =====> /homeseer/1234/status ====> 1234 replaced with your device 1D. It doesn't end there , You can also publish anything unrelated while creating your events (custom) like Topic: Jones-Systems/# for mqtt and for the sub Jones-Systems/outside/light Off then you can have other systems subscribe to that too.

Eman.
                              Last edited by Eman; January 3, 2017, 03:59 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X