Nest to ecobee3: Need some advice/guidance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nest to ecobee3: Need some advice/guidance

Hi all. I moved over last week to an ecobee3 from Nest, and I'm looking to recreate my former schedule/event setup as closely as possible. Could use some guidance from the community to get this working really well.

First off, my desired schedule (this example is for winter, but similar schedule would apply for summer months):
    • 7:00AM - 4:00PM: set temp goal to 63, as I'm at work
    • 4:00PM - 10:00PM: set temp goal to 67, as I'm home
    • 10:00PM - 7:00AM: set temp goal to 63 again, as I like it cold while sleeping

So that's super simple, and can be done in the ecobee app. The tricky part of all of this is my Home/Away status. I use this status to control several aspects of my home, such as BlueIris cameras, thermostat, lights, etc. When all phones are away (via PHLocation), the Nest status is set to Away, which in turn the Nest sets the temp to 63 as no one is home. When someone shows back up at home, the Nest now gets set to Home and goes to its current scheduled temp.

The issue that arises when replicating this in ecobee is that ecobee doesn't have Home/Away and an independent temp schedule, it has Home with an associated temp, Away with an associated temp, and any other desired comfort statuses with their own associated temps. So at 7:00AM when I want the temp to be set to 63, but I'm still home, the ecobee sets itself to 67 - the "Home" profile.

For comparison, the Nest would set itself to Home at whatever scheduled temp was set - in this case 63 degrees. Due to this behavior, I was able to keep my downstream rules working like a charm, but have the temp be set to the proper setting of 63 degrees. I don't see this as possible with ecobee3.

Is the only way to do this via something like timed rules and extra profiles? It's a load of extra work compared to the Nest, from what I can tell, so if anyone has any tips for me, that would be awesome. I'd also love to hear how others are handling their schedules and rules as well, so let 'em fly below.

Originally posted by ryanborstelmann View Post
    Hi all. I moved over last week to an ecobee3 from Nest, and I'm looking to recreate my former schedule/event setup as closely as possible. Could use some guidance from the community to get this working really well.

First off, my desired schedule (this example is for winter, but similar schedule would apply for summer months):

• 7:00AM - 4:00PM: set temp goal to 63, as I'm at work
    • 4:00PM - 10:00PM: set temp goal to 67, as I'm home
    • 10:00PM - 7:00AM: set temp goal to 63 again, as I like it cold while sleeping

The issue that arises when replicating this in ecobee is that ecobee doesn't have Home/Away and an independent temp schedule, it has Home with an associated temp, Away with an associated temp, and any other desired comfort statuses with their own associated temps. So at 7:00AM when I want the temp to be set to 63, but I'm still home, the ecobee sets itself to 67 - the "Home" profile.

For comparison, the Nest would set itself to Home at whatever scheduled temp was set - in this case 63 degrees. Due to this behavior, I was able to keep my downstream rules working like a charm, but have the temp be set to the proper setting of 63 degrees. I don't see this as possible with ecobee3.

Is the only way to do this via something like timed rules and extra profiles? It's a load of extra work compared to the Nest, from what I can tell, so if anyone has any tips for me, that would be awesome. I'd also love to hear how others are handling their schedules and rules as well, so let 'em fly below.

Hey Ryan,
    I have pretty much the same exact schedule set up in our ecobee as well. I'm a little confused about what you want it to do differently. It sounds like you want it to ignore the motion sensors and just follow a strict schedule regardless if it senses someone is home?

If that's the case, with the temps and schedule that you have in combination to HS it is pretty simple. Because the temp you've set for Sleep and Away are the same "63". I would just create a HS event that sets the mode to sleep if you are still home past 7am. Then resume the normal schedule at 4pm or when you leave the house. In sleep mode the ecobee ignores the motion sensors and keeps it at the desired temp that you set.

My wife and I had a similar issue, when we first installed ours we had a set schedule that we followed but when it changed a little the following year (wife & I started getting up later and leaving the house later) I noticed that because we left the house a few minutes later than the time that it changed from Home to Away, the sensors saw that we were still home and changed it back to Home mode. To compound the issue, I had set the system to keep that change until the next scheduled change which didn't happen until 4pm that night. So the HVAC stayed on all day while we were gone. I changed the setting to "keep the change for two hours and then resume" which now adjusts for any possible tardiness leaving the house. I'm in the process of implementing PHLocation and soon an HS connected alarm system which should eliminate any issues with changes in schedule.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    HS4 4.2.6.0 &HSTouch Designer 3.0.80
    Plugin's:
    BLBackup, BLOccupied, BLShutdown, EasyTrigger, Ecobee, Nest, AK Bond
    EnvisaLink DSC, PHLocation, Pushover, SONOS, Blue Iris, UltraRachio3,
    weatherXML, Jon00 Alexa Helper, Network Monitor, MyQ, Z-Wave

Comment

Would that not defeat the purpose of using an Ecobee? The motion is pretty spot on in regards to you being there or not. I never scheduled mine, just left it to learn on its own. Within a couple days it was pretty good.. Every now and then I get up in the early hours and its hot, but easy to adjust.

Comment

Working...
      X