No announcement yet.

need help deciding on my whole house tv/video

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Relating to the Aopen DE's I utilize today; they run very light with SSDs for drives. I rarely hear the fans on them. That said its still a power hungry core duo mobile processor in them right now. I purchased these in bulk and very reasonably priced. These are running XBMC-Ubuntu Lite. (OS is XBMC centric)

Personally here like the STB look for an XBMC box.

Many folks have gone to the Android TV boxes running XBMC on Android. They look like tiny STB's today. Related to these boxes; my preference is to wipe the Android OS and replace it with an Linux XBMC centric OS.

I have not tried XBMC on the Pipo X7 running 32 bit Windows 8.1 lite.

Folks state it does very good running XBMC.

I have not paid attention and haven't played much with my Pipo X7.

It is being sold as a "TV Box" and it does have 2Gb of RAM and a quad core Intel Atom CPU on it. GPU clocks out above 500Mhz.

That said there are driver issues running Ubuntu 64bit / XBMC on the Pipo X7 right now.

They are only minor driver issues. It is written that the 64bit Ubuntu running on the Pipo X7 is much faster than the 32bit Windows lite. I have only read this and not tried it myself.

The Pipo X7 though doesn't have a Gb connection; but you really don't need that to stream HD Live TV.
    - Pete

Auto mator
    Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
    Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
    HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
    HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Originally posted by aldo View Post
      Pete, what do you suggest for kodi, I agree Raspberry pi2 may not be that powerful to support hd files. I would think something that is fanless, very low on power consumption and that I do not need to reboot too often since it needs to be wife proof
      The first R-Pi was fine playing HD content, it was marketed as being able to and that is because the CPU was in fact not a CPU and instead an optimised media processor (http://www.broadcom.com/products/BCM2835). I had XBMC running on the first version (with only 256MB RAM) and it played HD content just fine (interface had a bit of stutter but there have no doubt been optimisations for that now). The Pi 2 should be better being faster with more RAM.

Albeit if you are talking streaming HD then I have no idea how that will behave...

Comment

I am curious how the RPi 2 will do with live streaming HD content. There are folks probably playing with this and XBMC as I write here.

Here I never pursued playing XBMC on the RPi after purchasing my Aopen Digital Engines.

Well almost did purchase a Gamestick with a docking station for cheap around Christmas time for trying out XBMC. I did purchase a few for a friend and just purchased the Kinects for me. i went back looking for them a week later and they were all gone. (5 Gamestop stores - no more Kinects or Gamesticks a week later).
        - Pete

Auto mator
        Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
        Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Raspberry 2 is OK with 1080 passthru on receiver other what I have mentioned below, like getting black screen sometime and etc. I think and I would love to know, the backend pvr is the one handling the mp2 file to Raspberry and so the delay. I need to figure out how to read from hdhomerun directly bypassing the pvr. Getting closer but far in the same time. I will look at other clients that can host both backend and front-end on it.

Comment

Googling XBMC (Kodi) forum looks like there is a plugin which doesn't need WMC and will work directly with HDHomerun.

The Linux/Windows HDHomerun tester program stream HD fine from the boxes.

The plugin is called PseudoTV Live and you can read about it here.

The plugin is a direct connect from HDHomerun and XBMC.

BTW here also have a Wintel box running PlayOnTV.
            - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

Thank you Pete, nice of you looking into that. I will try it when I can have the TV back [emoji1]

Aldo

Comment

Installed it earlier today on my Home office LCD. Easy installation. You have to reboot the box (not just Kodi) before configuring it.

Will configure it tomorrow to see how it works with my HDHomerun boxes.

I will write up a step by step cuz I found a few and they were all a bit different; which was odd?

I currently have my subs on the PlayOnTV box which has worked fine over the years.
                - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

Installed plugin concurrent with the MythTV plugin. There is a feature drop down configuration for use with the RPi.

Before doing this though I installed the drivers for the HDHomerun device doing the document install on the HDHomerun forum. (make this then that stuff).

The device(s) show up fine under /dev/dvXX and I can stream them via VLC and HDHomerun utilities application.

Note that this part took a little bit on the 64bit Ubuntu box. It will take much longer with the RPi should you decided to do this. There is nothing in the plugin that saids you need this or not.

The next part is a bit vague and I have seen now 4 ways to install it. That said you need to initially install some new libraries (well its another plugin); then the plugin.

I registered on the live TV site way back a few months ago when I wrote about it here; but didn't do anything with it. Free you get 7 channels. That said there are tiers of subscriptions for more cable channels.

Basic registration will provide you with 7 US channels (networks). I then went to configuring the plugin and it went searching for internet TV stuff and I got some 50 plus internet streaming TV sites which work fine. I am having issues though and do not know how to get rid of the internet tv stuff and just use the HDHomerun tuner. The plugin uses the EPG from MythTV or you can get the EPG direct. You can also change the presentation of the EPG scheduling to make it look like Comcast. Note it's referred to as Concast.

Just wanted to post here that it works (sort of) but will document the step by step in a granular manner when it is working for me as described via XBMC.

Channel switching is really fast and picture quality is very good (well HD streaming live).

You have to install the repository and see and install some stuff initially (libraries et al) and reboot the computer.

I also see pieces related to enabling Netflix / AOD. I haven't tried these but it would be nicer to use these than my current TV subs box for this stuff.

This plugin will allow for speed channel surfing (this is a WAF thing here).
                  - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

Great work Pete, we thank you for your contributions.
                    HSPro: 3.0.0.194
                    PL: Insteon PLM 3.0.5.20,Insteon Thermostat 3.0.1.1 , UltraM1G, RainRelay8, UltraECM3, UltraPioneerAVR3, BLBackup, weatherXML, Jon00 Network & PC Monitor
                    HW : Win 7 64bit, Intel i7-2600, 16 GB DDR3 Ram, 60 Plus Insteon Dual Band Devices, Rain8 Pro2, Elk M1 Gold, Brueltech GreenEye.

Comment

What I see is that the "push" of the plugin is related to the LiveTV service rather than the use of the HDHomerun boxes.

7 free live TV channels is fine. The plugin though loads up some 50 live internet TV channels first which is a PITA so far to try to remove.

Going to the HDHomerun tuner directly on the Linux XBMC box is way faster right now so I know it works; just have to figure out how to remove the fluff in the plugin.

Well too if it works with my subs that will be nice as I am still using the old wintel server for PlayOnTV and subs.
                      Last edited by Pete; March 14, 2015, 04:44 PM.
                      - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

Got it working today with only the HDHomerun tuner as the source.

While doing this updated the MythTV client.
                        - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

so long overdue update....

I bought Magic Jack last month and havent had time to really set it up.
                          I just sat down.. now for Granny she aint gonna do this herself.

it was a bit of a pita... BUT..

Breakdown for my first year
                          $53.49 with NJ Tax...
                          $10 - Lan Line number transfer - this was the major WAF portion. without this not happening
                          $10 - 911 calling - required. guy at work pays $2 a month through callcentric

first year is less than my 1 month!!!!!

I am up and running just setup VM and VM to email but need to unplug it to reset and im not home.

Call is CLEAR....

Called verizon and they tried every which way to get me back. She was like oh your on a GREAT plan! $59.99 unlimited, long distance, etc..
                          I said.. YOU KIDDING ME!!!! THAT PRICE IS ABSURD...
                          She asked me who i switched to but didnt tell her. Only told her it is a VOIP provider.. she was like.. well there you go.. you get what you pay for and VOIP is unreliable, not the best on reliability and when your internet goes down you dont have a phone like you do with a lan line..

BWHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.....

so another update. I am on a Xfinity double play...
                          $119.99 plus tax plus this plus that.. $139.99
                          at end of this month it goes up to $149.99 plus the extras making it abuot $170!!!!!

I will be trying to figure something out. Their ALA cart service would cost me $4 more a month and I would loose hbo, showtime, cinnemax, starz and sports package.
                          I dont care about those channels but it was a cheaper package at the time.

so have to figure something out.
                          I may play around with an OTA antenna to show my wife 3/6/10, etc.. work...

for me I have a major requirement... I looked at sling tv but 1 stream is not good enough....

I watch AMC (Walking Dead / Better Call Saul)
                          Wife watches - Hallmark Channel, Food Network, few others
                          Kids - Nick, kids stuff...

the Sling COULD work if it did more streams.
                          Currently the $20 would be ok but I would need the $5 package for hallmark channel so still $25 plus internet still better price...

but eventually Comcast/Xfinity is going to do a Tiered pricing for GB down and up.. and when they do it will charge the cable cutters and also the torrent people....

guess thats it for now...
                          HW - i5 4570T @2.9ghz runs @11w | 8gb ram | 128gb ssd OS - Win10 x64

HS - HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.435

Plugins - BLRF 2.0.94.0 | Concord 4 3.1.13.10 | HSBuddy 3.9.605.5 | HSTouch Server 3.0.0.68 | RFXCOM 30.0.0.36 | X10 3.0.0.36 | Z-Wave 3.0.1.190

Hardware - EdgePort/4 DB9 Serial | RFXCOM 433MHz USB Transceiver | Superbus 2000 for Concord 4 | TI103 X-10 Interface | WGL Designs W800 RF | Z-Net Z-Wave Interface

Comment

Originally posted by TeleFragger View Post

but eventually Comcast/Xfinity is going to do a Tiered pricing for GB down and up.. and when they do it will charge the cable cutters and also the torrent people....
                            Thats a bad thing. I've seen places where they charge for internet like cellphones. You have to pick a plan with "X" amount of data and then stay within it while not going over or be charged extra at crazy rates.

If crap like that happens, I'll send a note on a pigeon to post my notes to this forum.
                            Last edited by CharlieWayne; March 19, 2015, 09:02 PM.
                            HSPro: 3.0.0.194
                            PL: Insteon PLM 3.0.5.20,Insteon Thermostat 3.0.1.1 , UltraM1G, RainRelay8, UltraECM3, UltraPioneerAVR3, BLBackup, weatherXML, Jon00 Network & PC Monitor
                            HW : Win 7 64bit, Intel i7-2600, 16 GB DDR3 Ram, 60 Plus Insteon Dual Band Devices, Rain8 Pro2, Elk M1 Gold, Brueltech GreenEye.

Comment

update... copy/paste from my FB post... so hence the names you will see

ive been off of FB and loving it.
                              anyway this is post worthy... (Christopher)
                              I posted a while back going to magic jack and getting rid of phone bill... well not totally but totally cheap (device + 1yr $75, 5yr @ $99, device broke on my fault $40 totaling like $5-6k savings in 7 years)...
                              well I was going to cut our cable tv bill 1.5yrs ago but there are certain channels people in my house still need... so comcsat gave us a great promo. $129.99 for blast internet (200mb), hd, hbo, showtime, cinemax, stars and sports pack. well total bill with tax, fees, extra boxes is $169.99 and it is always give or take a few $. Well we were @ $220ish for cell phones and I was going to drop sprint unlimited for 8gb plan for $110. Well last time I did that Bryan took 5gb in 1.5d so switched back. Well talking to guy in BestBuy.. we all got new phones (even though I had a new note 8) and we added a 4th line. Had to switch to AT&T. I always said I never have problems with sprint but work is a dead zone and here and there. Well AT&T is so much better that I have service at work. Albeit didn't get to go down to $110.. instead l ike $260ish from $220 for 4th phone. Anyway... AT&T unlimited customers get $15 off of DirecTV Now making it $20/m. Well that has the channels we really watch. We don't have DVR so that is no biggie to me...
                              so just dropped off all the Comcast stuff off and dropped internet to 25mb for $74.95. I asked why so high as it shouldn't be but he said that is what the "store" has it for and to call xfinity customer support to get a better deal. WOW, really, your stores cant do the same thing... wow... just facepalm now...
                              called customer support and they gave me a $15 off promo for being a loyal customer of tons of years.. then she said she can give me back the 200mb internet for free....
                              so went from xfinity bill of $170 that will go to like $285 in June to $59.95 and DirecTV Now of $20/m for rounded to $80/m.... well cell bill difference found. once we pay off our 2 phones, bill drops to $155... that's why att is high.
                              I totally understand that I can afford xfinity cable tv. It is turning us all into couch potatoes, why cant they just charge say $1.50 per channel. instead it is all about how much they can gouge the customer, how much they can make. My neighbor Gary did this before me but using Sony PlayStation Vue and now Dave is as well... cost a bit more and has dvr... but to me my goal is to go from what we have, take the next 6m-1yr and see how to best use what is here and maybe even drop DirecTV Now as well...
                              turn the tv off, play a board game....
                              eventually local cannels OTA would be nice, then a few Roku/apple tv apps...
                              Hallmark Roku App has free movies, Matt said he likes "The Loud House" which the NIC app has 3 seasons for free...
                              it is totally doable, you just have to be willing to do things differently. Yes Xfinity/Fios tv cable boxes make life easier... and you pay for it...
                              Bruce - So far loving the Roku interface waaaay better than the Apple TV interface...
                              HW - i5 4570T @2.9ghz runs @11w | 8gb ram | 128gb ssd OS - Win10 x64

HS - HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.435

Plugins - BLRF 2.0.94.0 | Concord 4 3.1.13.10 | HSBuddy 3.9.605.5 | HSTouch Server 3.0.0.68 | RFXCOM 30.0.0.36 | X10 3.0.0.36 | Z-Wave 3.0.1.190

Hardware - EdgePort/4 DB9 Serial | RFXCOM 433MHz USB Transceiver | Superbus 2000 for Concord 4 | TI103 X-10 Interface | WGL Designs W800 RF | Z-Net Z-Wave Interface

Comment

Working...
                              X