• Time
  • Show
Clear All

amazon echo DOT and TAP

The Echo TAP is the portable echo device that's been rumored for awhile:
    http://www.theverge.com/2016/3/3/111...y-photos-video

But more interesting is the Echo DOT

It appears to have the ability to connect to an external speaker/sound system through bluetooth or a line-out

I got an email about those this morning too! Very cool products!
    HS4Pro on a Raspberry Pi4
    54 Z-Wave Nodes / 21 Zigbee Devices / 108 Events / 767 Devices
    Plugins: Z-Wave / Zigbee Plus / EasyTrigger / AK Weather / OMNI

HSTouch Clients: 1 Android

Comment

Originally posted by DevinH View Post
      But more interesting is the Echo DOT

It appears to have the ability to connect to an external speaker/sound system through bluetooth or a line-out
      Already have the original Echo. Based on the fact that HS just added the ECHO API Support, we are already using it more than ever. I just ordered 2 of the Echo Dot. The only concern I have now is the sensitivity between Echo units and how they react to a query when two devices can hear the same person. I imagine they (Amazon) will have to figure that out if they haven't already and once they do, I will buy one for every room.

BTW, @HomeSeer, you should put the Echo products in your Webpage Ad Space so you can get the Amazon Referral Reimbursements.

-Travis

Comment

Hope they still have them when I get home!

Comment

Originally posted by MrMxyzptlk View Post
          Hope they still have them when I get home!
          ***LifeHack***

My buddy on here (Email68) just ordered from work. We setup an audio file saying "Alexa, Order an Echo Dot {Pause for 7-10 Seconds}, Yes" and transferred it to his HS PC to play as audio and it ordered just fine. Tried to have HS Speak the order but it wasn't working out for some reason. Should work if the Echo is near your PC or speakers, we did have to turn down the audio due to distortion. You can see what the Echo heard in the Alexa App. Not bad for a one-sided Tx Voice Order and Alexa Rx Response.

If it doesn't work, Amazon says this has to be setup:

Step 1: Update your Alexa voice purchasing settings
          To order Echo, Echo Dot, or Amazon Tap using Alexa, make sure Voice Purchasing is on in the Alexa app and that you have a valid 1-Click payment method.

Note: You can download the Alexa app on compatible Fire OS, Android, and iOS devices, or go to https://alexa.amazon.com from Safari, Chrome, Firefox, Microsoft Edge, or Internet Explorer (10 or higher) on Wi-Fi enabled computers. To learn more, go to Download the Amazon Alexa App.

To update your voice purchasing settings:
          Open the Alexa app.
          Open the left navigation panel, and then select Settings > Voice Purchasing .
          Check the following settings:
          Setting Description
          Purchase by voice Voice purchasing is on by default. If this is off, use the switch to turn it on again.
          (Optional) Require confirmation code
          You can create a voice code to confirm your order before you place it. Enter a 4-digit code, and then select Save Changes. Before you complete a purchase, Alexa asks for your code. The code does not appear in your voice history.

Note: Make sure to create a code that you do not use for other accounts and services.

Manage 1-Click settings Select Go to Amazon.com to update your 1-Click payment method and billing address.

Step 2: Ask Alexa to Place an Order

Good Luck,

-Travis

Comment

Originally posted by Daweeze View Post
            ***LifeHack***

My buddy on here (Email68) just ordered from work. We setup an audio file saying "Alexa, Order an Echo Dot {Pause for 7-10 Seconds}, Yes" and transferred it to his HS PC to play as audio and it ordered just fine. Tried to have HS Speak the order but it wasn't working out for some reason. Should work if the Echo is near your PC or speakers, we did have to turn down the audio due to distortion. You can see what the Echo heard in the Alexa App. Not bad for a one-sided Tx Voice Order and Alexa Rx Response.

If it doesn't work, Amazon says this has to be setup:

Step 1: Update your Alexa voice purchasing settings
            To order Echo, Echo Dot, or Amazon Tap using Alexa, make sure Voice Purchasing is on in the Alexa app and that you have a valid 1-Click payment method.

Note: You can download the Alexa app on compatible Fire OS, Android, and iOS devices, or go to https://alexa.amazon.com from Safari, Chrome, Firefox, Microsoft Edge, or Internet Explorer (10 or higher) on Wi-Fi enabled computers. To learn more, go to Download the Amazon Alexa App.

To update your voice purchasing settings:
            Open the Alexa app.
            Open the left navigation panel, and then select Settings > Voice Purchasing .
            Check the following settings:
            Setting Description
            Purchase by voice Voice purchasing is on by default. If this is off, use the switch to turn it on again.
            (Optional) Require confirmation code
            You can create a voice code to confirm your order before you place it. Enter a 4-digit code, and then select Save Changes. Before you complete a purchase, Alexa asks for your code. The code does not appear in your voice history.

Note: Make sure to create a code that you do not use for other accounts and services.

Manage 1-Click settings Select Go to Amazon.com to update your 1-Click payment method and billing address.

Step 2: Ask Alexa to Place an Order

Good Luck,

-Travis
            I was trying to do this already as I saw your post come in. I am using my WFTT07 to speak the "Alexa, order echo dot" and then adding a wait and then speaking "Yes". Alexa is hearing the phrase correctly, but doesn't seem to be getting the confirmation, so it's not ordering. I have checked my one-click and voice ordering settings and all seems to be OK. Also tried varying the wait from 3 -10 seconds
            cheeryfool

Comment

I ordered a couple myself, one for the my office and one for our bedroom. Alexa says they'll arrive March 31st.

Comment

Originally posted by cheeryfool View Post
                I was trying to do this already as I saw your post come in. I am using my WFTT07 to speak the "Alexa, order echo dot" and then adding a wait and then speaking "Yes". Alexa is hearing the phrase correctly, but doesn't seem to be getting the confirmation, so it's not ordering. I have checked my one-click and voice ordering settings and all seems to be OK. Also tried varying the wait from 3 -10 seconds
                If I recall correctly, after the order phrase, Alexa says something to the effect of, "The Echo Dot is $97.75 and will arrive by March 31st. Do you want me to order it?" Then the "Yes" confirmation is all that had to be done. Not sure what your issue might be...
                -Travis

Comment

Good stuff. Echo all around the house

Sent from my iPhone
                  Tom
                  baby steps...starting again with HS3
                  HS3Pro: Z-NET & 80 Z wave Devices,
                  HSTouch: 4 Joggler (Android Kitkat), 2 iPhone, 3 iPads
                  Whole House Audio: 5 SqueezePlay Jogglers w Bose Speakers
                  In The Works: 10 Cameras Geovision, new Adecmo/Envisalink Alarm, Arduinos
                  System: XP on Fanless Mini-ITX w/ SSD

Comment

Do you have to be a premium member?
                    Hector
                    MyTrigger,ACRF2,W800,Zwave
                    AP800,Honeywell Stat

Comment

Yes you have to be prime member or get a prime 30 trial.

Sent from my iPhone
                      Tom

Comment

amazon echo DOT and TAP

I just ordered one. Im still wondering why Google and Apple haven't stepped into this space the way Amazon has.

Sent from my iPhone
                        Tom

Comment

Originally posted by TomTom View Post
                          Yes you have to be prime member or get a prime 30 trial.

Sent from my iPhone
                          What's the cost being a member?
                          Hector
                          MyTrigger,ACRF2,W800,Zwave
                          AP800,Honeywell Stat

Comment

Looks like you can order it from the Amazon iOS App (Maybe a loophole)....

Some people on SlickDeals were able to use this method successfully:

1) Open Amazon iOS App
                            2) Search for Echo Dot (Do not open the page)
                            3) Swipe right and add to cart
                            4) Checkout like normal

-Travis

Comment

Originally posted by Daweeze View Post
                              Looks like you can order it from the Amazon iOS App (Maybe a loophole)....

Some people on SlickDeals were able to use this method successfully:

1) Open Amazon iOS App
                              2) Search for Echo Dot (Do not open the page)
                              3) Swipe right and add to cart
                              4) Checkout like normal

-Travis

Well, that worked! Thanks.
                              cheeryfool

Comment

Working...
                              X