Ecobee motion sensing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ecobee motion sensing

It looks like there is some motion data that the plug-in can get from Ecobee. Is that a polled data object or is it pushed through the API?

I am curious as to how well it could be used for detecting someone entering a room to turn on the lights.

it is polled, so I don't think the occupancy data from the thermostat or sensors could be used to turn on lights.

Comment

Spud, I have my ecobee3 setup in Apple Homekit (no Apple TV or iPad on all the time, just my iPhone) and out of curiosity I turned on notifications for motion detection on the remote sensors. Almost immediately I get the alert for motion sent to my iPhone when walking within the sensor's field of view. I suspect this is my iPhone talking directly to the main ecobee3 thermostat unit via an HomeKit API.

Is it because HomeSeer indirectly talks to the ecobee3 via their web service we cannot get/use similar low-latent push notifications? I was also hoping to use a remote sensor that happened to be in a perfect location to trigger some lights, but that's looking like a no-go unless there's some other creative way around it.

Comment

Originally posted by scorp508 View Post
        Spud, I have my ecobee3 setup in Apple Homekit (no Apple TV or iPad on all the time, just my iPhone) and out of curiosity I turned on notifications for motion detection on the remote sensors. Almost immediately I get the alert for motion sent to my iPhone when walking within the sensor's field of view. I suspect this is my iPhone talking directly to the main ecobee3 thermostat unit via an HomeKit API.

Is it because HomeSeer indirectly talks to the ecobee3 via their web service we cannot get/use similar low-latent push notifications? I was also hoping to use a remote sensor that happened to be in a perfect location to trigger some lights, but that's looking like a no-go unless there's some other creative way around it.
        It's a no-go with the current API but Ecobee devs have been talking about a push API for quite a long time. In this thread they said it should go live first half of 2017.

Comment

Originally posted by spud View Post
          It's a no-go with the current API but Ecobee devs have been talking about a push API for quite a long time. In this thread they said it should go live first half of 2017.
          Any update on this?

I'm considering buying the plugin, but really dont need it unless I can use the occupancy and temp sensors in place of buying zwave motion/temp sensors for each room.

thx

Comment

Originally posted by Ltek View Post
            Any update on this?

I'm considering buying the plugin, but really dont need it unless I can use the occupancy and temp sensors in place of buying zwave motion/temp sensors for each room.

thx
            sorry, no update
            you can monitor ecobee developer forum or even ask there: http://developer.ecobee.com/api

Comment

Working...
            X