which skill?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

which skill?

I am getting totally confused between all the skills.

I have HS3 running with an ISY controller, which alexa skill should I install?

what exactly are the differences?

Any post that outlines a comparison would be appreciated.

Thanks

Does this anwser your question?

It talks about two different skills.

https://homeseer.com/amazon-alexa-integration/

Comment

Originally posted by integlikewhoa View Post
      Does this anwser your question?

It talks about two different skills.

https://homeseer.com/amazon-alexa-integration/

I think there are 3 now...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I agree, it's very confusing. There is no indication which one is the latest one via version identification.
        RJ_Make On YouTube

Comment

Originally posted by Derek View Post
          I think there are 3 now...

One is old. The current ones are Homeseer Smarthome (api, "Alexa, turn on the lights") and Homeseer Home Automation Skill. The one that is just called Homeseer is the old one. Apparently it's not as easy as someone just wanting to delete a skill when they replace it with a different one.

Comment

Interesting. I still have the original skill running which allows for simple commands and is still working fine. I don't like the "home automation" skill because it requires that longer command line. I've using ifttt to run trigger for my events since that was the only missing thing from the original skill. At least that command line is much simpler. I don't know if I want to change anything honestly since its all working.
            HS4Pro Win10 | Fire Tablet touchscreen client, Android Phones and Tablets | Jon00 | Smartthings | Philips Hue | Trane | Caseta | Nanoleaf | Ring | August | Evolve | Aladdin | Amazon Alexa/IFTT

Comment

Originally posted by Mario23 View Post
              Interesting. I still have the original skill running which allows for simple commands and is still working fine. I don't like the "home automation" skill because it requires that longer command line. I've using ifttt to run trigger for my events since that was the only missing thing from the original skill. At least that command line is much simpler. I don't know if I want to change anything honestly since its all working.
              I felt the same way....however I just took the plunge and switched to the new skill and works fine. Something you might want to check, when using the old skill I noticed two things, in the smart home device list on the Amazon website (not in the Amazon app) it indicated “offline” for every HS device even though my devices seemed to work. After I switched to the updated skill then all of the HS devices indicated “online”.

Second thing, when I switched to the new skill there were 11 new devices that added to the list. I didn’t expect the result so I’m not sure which additional devices it found and the reason why, I just took note of the number to make sure I didn’t lose any of the existing devices.

Just food for thought....I understand “If it ain’t broke don’t fix it” but it is an unsupported skill going forward.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
              HS4 4.2.6.0 &HSTouch Designer 3.0.80
              Plugin's:
              BLBackup, BLOccupied, BLShutdown, EasyTrigger, Ecobee, Nest, AK Bond
              EnvisaLink DSC, PHLocation, Pushover, SONOS, Blue Iris, UltraRachio3,
              weatherXML, Jon00 Alexa Helper, Network Monitor, MyQ, Z-Wave

Comment

Forgot to add...you no longer need to use IFTTT to trigger your events, if you notice the voice command field within each event, you can now trigger that event by saying, Alexa turn on “event voice command”. Once you input a voice command it will add it under the scenes in the Alexa app.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
                Plugin's:

Comment

Ahhh I hadn't noticed that! Thanks.

Ok I set it up. Only pain was I had to modify all the device names this time. I don't recall having to do that before.
                  I thought it wasn't working at all until I realized Alexa still had the previously created devices listed and was directing commands to those unlinked devices. I had to go in and manually forget all those devices.

I added voice commands to the events I wanted but it still hasn't been added in Alexa. It just says it can't find that command.
                  The events are not listed in the scenes on the Alexa app either. I'll keep digging.

Found it..."Include as voice command" had to be checked. Tks again.
                  Last edited by Mario23; October 7, 2018, 12:57 PM.
                  HS4Pro Win10 | Fire Tablet touchscreen client, Android Phones and Tablets | Jon00 | Smartthings | Philips Hue | Trane | Caseta | Nanoleaf | Ring | August | Evolve | Aladdin | Amazon Alexa/IFTT

Comment

Ahhh I hadn't noticed that! Thanks.

Ok I set it up. Only pain was I had to modify all the device names this time. I don't recall having to do that before.
                    I thought it wasn't working at all until I realized Alexa still had the previously created devices listed and was directing commands to those unlinked devices. I had to go in and manually forget all those devices.

I added voice commands to the events I wanted but it still hasn't been added in Alexa. It just says it can't find that command.
                    The events are not listed in the scenes on the Alexa app either. I'll keep digging.

Found it..."Include as voice command" had to be checked. Tks again.
                    If you are having to rename all of your devices, make sure that you fill in the device name that you want to use in the voice command field for each device rather than changing the device name in the Alexa app. Then you can delete and discover your devices as often as you like without having to go through that every time.

Glad that helped!

Plugin's:

Comment

Working...
                    X