Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RFXCOM Setup

Hello,

I'm trying to set up the RFXCOM 433 receiver on my hometroller SE-Pro and having difficulty getting the the virtual com port set up. I've done the following:

Installed the USB drivers from FTDI and installed the RFreceiver.exe software from RFXCOM.com. I've right clicked on the HSProtect icon in the system tray and selected "Save Changes to Files" so that the items that were installed stay there after reboot. After shutting down Homeseer and rebooting the Hometroller and restarting Homeseer, I've started RFreceiver.exe, connected, and chosen com port 3 (as found in the device manager) and selected 4800 Baud. (I should mention that I've already purchased the RFXcom plugin from Homeseer and successfully registered it within Homeseer and it shows up in the Setup>Interfaces area.)

When I go to Setup>Interfaces and click on the config button for RFXCOM, I choose the "Interfaces" button just to the right of "General". Then I select the radio button for Receiver 1 and click the "Modify" button at the bottom of the screen.

Here's where I think my problem is showing itself. Under the "Interface:" drop down, according to the "Quick_Start_Homeseer" guide that RFXCOM publishes, there should be a com port selection available so I can define the proper com port within Homseer. There is no com port selection available. The only options that show up are: "None" and "TCP/IP".

I suspect that I'm doing something wrong with the setup originally, but can't for the life of me, figure out what.

Has anybody else had this problem? Can anyone help me with this?

Thanks!
    -Dave

If you have the RFXrec433 you have to use RFXmngr (not RFreceiver)
    And configure the RFXrec on the RFXCOM - Interfaces tab at RFXtrx/RFXrec (not as receiver!!)

The Homeseer Quick Start Guide.pdf on the RFXCOM download page is updated:
    http://www.rfxcom.com/documents/Quic...t_Homeseer.pdf

Comment

Great tips. Thank you. I'm still having the same problem though. I've downloaded and run RFXmngr instead of the other one. Better results with connectivity as it appears that the RFXmngr program sent the reset command to the RFXtrx and the trx responded with the desired results. (same information in the yellow field as shown in the Quick_Start_Homeseer" guide.) In scrolling down to the RFXCOM RFXtrx/RFXrec section and attempting to modify Transceiver 1, I'm still running into the same problem. The "Interface" drop down still only lists "None" and "TCP/IP". When I click on the Connect button in the RFXmngr program, COM 3, which is correct, shows up in the drop down box for the USB connection radio button.

According to the device manager COM 3 has the FTDI driver installed even though it doesn't identify the port as RFXCOM, it just lists COM 3 as "USB Serial Port (COM3) (I don't know if this means anything, it's just an observation)

Also, the default BAUD rate is 9600 in the port settings for COM 3. I tried playing with that and dropping it to 4800 but that didn't change anything so I set it back to 9600. Is this what it should be?

Is there any other information I can provide that would help diagnose what I'm doing incorrectly?

Thank you,
      -Dave

Comment

You have to stop RFXmngr before you start Homeseer or else the COM port is not detected as a free COM port by Homeseer and COM3 will not appear in the list.

Do not change settings on the COM port because the plug-in will configure these.

Comment

Ah HA!! That seemed to do the trick! COM 3 showed up in the interface drop down. Interestingly enough though, while it seems to be working fine now, on the Setup>Interfaces page in Homeseer, there is still no COM port listed for the RFXCOM line in the Plug-In Interfaces list. Still says "N/A" instead of "3". Is this normal? (The "Save" button was clicked after configuration was complete.)

The Quick Start Homeseer manual doesn't say to stop RFXmngr before starting up Homeseer. (Section 2) It does in some other sections but not there. Might be a good thing to add. (it makes perfect sense now that you explain it.)

Thank you for your help!!
          -Dave

Comment

Working...
          X