MCE messaging for Vista

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MCE messaging for Vista

I am trying to find a way to get messages to my MCE computer (Vista).

The old YAC message app site is down or gone, and I am not sure it would work with Vista anyways.

Anyone doing this, or know of a way to do it? I can't find anything.

thanks

You can use the Script Connector plugin.

There are 2 sample scripts to send messages from HomeSeer to any remote computer.

See the remote marquee and remote post-it scripts in the script gallery here :
    http://board.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=123250
    --
    stipus

Comment

Hi Stipus, definately half the battle there, nice work, but the piece I am really missing is getting the notification popup in MCE.

Comment

It should be possible to create a MCE popup notification script.

I'll work on this...
        --
        stipus

Comment

Hi Stipus, definately half the battle there, nice work, but the piece I am really missing is getting the notification popup in MCE.
          How did this notification look like ?
          Is this like a balloon tooltip ?
          Did you have to do anything to remove it, or did it fade-out after a few seconds ?
          Did it show up while you were watching a movie ?
          --
          stipus

Comment

In MCE 2005 there was a YAC client for MCE, and at one point I thought there was a xap one too, but I may have been dreaming. It would popup a little notice in MCE bottom right corner. As I remember it, MCE had controls to allow the programmer to specify buttons, time to fade away, and other things I can't remember now. I do some programming myself, and I googled for 1/2 hour the other night and can't find anything anymore. I have either lost my touch or my mind.

If you can even find some links or steps to start, I may be able to help in script generation, and I thank you sincerely for your efforts on this. I both think it would be a great addition to the script connector, and a great help to my HA effort.

Comment

I use the xAP one under MCE 2005, but on my Vista machine I never tried based upon the assumption that the SDK is different between the two. Stuart Booth (previously xAPFramework.net) is the author and his work was mirrored at mi4.com.

If a script is able to interact with the Vista MC SDK then it should be able to support the popup. This, however, is like any application with an SDK. It does not matter if it is an application or script and if it run locally or remotely there is effort to comply with the SDK to achieve the desired functionality. Vista MC is just another application such as Outlook or Homeseer and it has its own user interface that goes beyond the basic user interface functionality provided by Windows.

Comment

I found an easy way to do what I want in MCE, but I think I would need to create a MCE add-in. However it doesn't seem very difficult.
                --
                stipus

Comment

The addin and SDK are the way to go. I always look for code that's already made that has other purposes, but I just don't see much out there for Vista MCE yet. If the add-in is easy, then great!

Comment

Working...
                  X