This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DocKen View Post
    I did want to get your opinion on the hardware. The Adafruit page wiring shows using the 5v 10amp power supply powering both the RaspPi and the light strip. I saw some comments where they suggested using a separate power supply since it was more stable.

It looks from your wiring like you did the single power supply option. What do you think of it? Has it been stable for you? I would be running roughly 4 meters of strip with this so there should be just enough room for it.

Ken
    yeah I went with the single power supply option: 5V 10amp power supply + 3 meters strip and I never experienced any stability issue.

but as you read it, using 2 power supply is probably safer.

Comment

Feature request.

Hi,

Got everything working well, and a couple of possible added features come to mind, based on my fiddling around so far.

1. Having the plug-in reconnect automatically, or have a facility to force it to reconnect via an event.

Example, scenario. I have an appliance module that powers down the Pi, and the large-ish power supply supplying a 5m string when it is not being operated. I'd like to be able to power up, let the Pi boot, then make the plugin reconnect.

2. Being able to query the plug-in for it's status, specifically, what effect is it running right now.

Example scenario, I'm running some lighting, eg a slow, dim "rainbow" effect, but want to interrupt briefly to flash a strobe to get attention for some reason, or for fun. Once that is done, I'd like to be able to go back to whatever was running. A script that could query the state (effect), store it, do its stuff, and then set that effect running again, is what I have in mind.
      Of course, there may be better ways to do something like that, if so, pls advise.

So far, this plug-in is getting much more that the usual (luke-warm) levels of enthusiasm that I usually receive from the Wife and Daughter!!! (Son is typically on board). A garage door that closes itself at 10pm if we've left it open, "meh". A house that sends texts of the smoke alarms or water detectors go off, "that's nice, I suppose". Cool LED effects, however, gets "can we buy a longer string?"

cheers
      Doug

Comment

Originally posted by DMcKnight View Post

1. Having the plug-in reconnect automatically, or have a facility to force it to reconnect via an event.

Example, scenario. I have an appliance module that powers down the Pi, and the large-ish power supply supplying a 5m string when it is not being operated. I'd like to be able to power up, let the Pi boot, then make the plugin reconnect.
        Have you tried version 3.0.0.2 available here?
        In this version the plugin tries to reconnect when it detects it has lost connection.
        That being said, I now think having a persistent connection is kind of useless, so I may change it in the future so that it open a new socket connection for each query and immediately close it after that. I think this is how the Android app works, and it would avoid any reconnection problem.

2. Being able to query the plug-in for it's status, specifically, what effect is it running right now.

Example scenario, I'm running some lighting, eg a slow, dim "rainbow" effect, but want to interrupt briefly to flash a strobe to get attention for some reason, or for fun. Once that is done, I'd like to be able to go back to whatever was running. A script that could query the state (effect), store it, do its stuff, and then set that effect running again, is what I have in mind.
        Of course, there may be better ways to do something like that, if so, pls advise.
        The Effect device is supposed to show the latest effect that has been set by the plugin, so I think you could use that.
        However I think the best way to do it would be to use different priorities for the two effects. In your example scenario, you would set the rainbow effect with a 40 priority for a very long time, then you would set the strobe effect with a 30 priority for 5 seconds, when these 5 seconds are elapsed the rainbow effect would be set back again automatically.
        It's not possible right now, because the priority is only configurable in the config page for the whole plugin, but in the next version I'm going to add the priority as a parameter in actions and scripting functions so that it's possible to override the default value.

So far, this plug-in is getting much more that the usual (luke-warm) levels of enthusiasm that I usually receive from the Wife and Daughter!!! (Son is typically on board). A garage door that closes itself at 10pm if we've left it open, "meh". A house that sends texts of the smoke alarms or water detectors go off, "that's nice, I suppose". Cool LED effects, however, gets "can we buy a longer string?"
        Cool!

Comment

Hi Spud,

Seems to me that opening a socket when required makes a lot of sense. There could be legitimate reasons for the Pi to be unavailable for long periods of time and HS shouldn't be worrying about not having a connection.

Taking advantage of the priority capability in Hyperion sounds perfect. Might as well unload that task to the Pi. I think both of these changes would be good.
          cheers
          Doug

Comment

version 3.0.0.3

Hi Spud,

Seems to me that opening a socket when required makes a lot of sense. There could be legitimate reasons for the Pi to be unavailable for long periods of time and HS shouldn't be worrying about not having a connection.

Taking advantage of the priority capability in Hyperion sounds perfect. Might as well unload that task to the Pi. I think both of these changes would be good.
            cheers
            Doug
            both changes have been implemented in version 3.0.0.3 available from the Beta testing thread

Comment

Great! I'll give it a whirl.
              doug

Comment

Would it be possible to have a "no timeout" option on the Duration page? At the moment this seems to have to be set to a number of seconds.

I use the Hyperion plug-in in conjunction with a lightberry.eu ambi light solution and the framegrabber has issues whereby it displays a rainbow picutre when no image is received from the source. I overcome this by setting a black colour effect from the Hyperion plug-in but as the duration runs out the black is cleared and the framegrabber rainbow re-appears.
                Nicolai L

Comment

Originally posted by NicolaiL View Post
                  Would it be possible to have a "no timeout" option on the Duration page? At the moment this seems to have to be set to a number of seconds.

I use the Hyperion plug-in in conjunction with a lightberry.eu ambi light solution and the framegrabber has issues whereby it displays a rainbow picutre when no image is received from the source. I overcome this by setting a black colour effect from the Hyperion plug-in but as the duration runs out the black is cleared and the framegrabber rainbow re-appears.
                  If you set the duration to 0, it will not timeout
                  If you use the SetColor script function or the "Set Color" action from an event you will have to set both the duration parameter and the default duration on the config page to 0. This is a bug I need to fix, as the duration parameter in the scripting function or in the event action should override the default duration even if it's 0.

Comment

Originally posted by spud View Post
                    This is a bug I need to fix, as the duration parameter in the scripting function or in the event action should override the default duration even if it's 0.
                    It's now fixed in version 3.0.0.4

Comment

Originally posted by spud View Post
                      It's now fixed in version 3.0.0.4
                      Thanks. Great news.
                      Nicolai L

Comment

Please could we have a trigger that would allow you to trigger events based on failure conditions.

I run Hyperion on a Raspberry Pi and I have noticed every now and then Hyperion will crash and thus the plug-in fails when trying to run it's command. The only fix is to reboot the Pi which I can do with a plink command, but I have no way to automatically detecting the failure.

If your PI could trigger an event based on failure I could then have an event that would call my reboot script command.
                        Nicolai L

Comment

NicolaiL. Would you share your script. That would ba a great addition
                          HSPRO,HS3PRO, BLsecurity, , MCSxap, HSTouch Android, UltraGCIR, CM15a, USBUIRT, BLUSBUIRT, WIFIRGB, BLAB8SS, BLcontrol, BLGData, BLLAN,BLOccupied, BLRadar, BLVolume, iTunesDAAP, UltraGCIR3, Airplayspeak, BLalarm, BLbackup, BLLED, BLrandom, BLReminders, BLRF, BL Speech, Hyperion, IFTTT, KINECT, XBMC, MCSprinkers PRO, PHLocation, ULtrapioneer, Ultralog, ultraweatherbug, Z,troller, GC-100, GC WIFICC, GC-WIFI SERIAL, Nitrogen logic depth camera controllers,

Comment

Originally posted by NicolaiL View Post
                            Please could we have a trigger that would allow you to trigger events based on failure conditions.

I run Hyperion on a Raspberry Pi and I have noticed every now and then Hyperion will crash and thus the plug-in fails when trying to run it's command. The only fix is to reboot the Pi which I can do with a plink command, but I have no way to automatically detecting the failure.

If your PI could trigger an event based on failure I could then have an event that would call my reboot script command.
                            added to my TODO list: I will add a trigger when the plugin fails to communicate with the hyperion server.

Comment

Originally posted by kenrad View Post
                              NicolaiL. Would you share your script. That would ba a great addition
                              Sure. It's simply this one-liner:

Run Another Program or Process.

The name is: /putty/plink.exe

with the following parameters:

-v -pw PASSWORD root@IPADDRESS reboot

Substitute PASSWORD for the password of your root account on the Hyperion server and substitute IPADDRESS for the IP address of the Hyperion server as well.
                              Nicolai L

Comment

Spud,

Is it possible to add and control more then one Raspberry PI?

Comment

Working...
                                X