Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How reliable is HS and TEMP08 via COM-to-USB cable and USB hub?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How reliable is HS and TEMP08 via COM-to-USB cable and USB hub?

I am upgrading HS2 > HS3 and moving from Dell D600 / WinXP to a newer W7/8.1 laptop that does not have a COM port.
    I read the forum and see that it is recommended to stick with EdgePort USB to serial products as they are seems to be the most reliable.
    But ... what if I connect my TEMP08 with this adapter to my laptop via an USB hub? The HUB would have three other devices connected to it including a Z-Wave stick, an external hard drive and a webcam.

Do you think the system will still be relivable with this daisy-chain or should I search for a laptop with more USB ports instead?
    Thank you.
    Last edited by Alexey; November 10, 2015, 03:39 PM.

I have had my TEMP08 connect via a USB to serial adapter for years and it has worked great. However, I have no experience trying to use it with a USB hub. Sorry.

In my current setup, I have my TEMP08 connected to HomeSeer via the Global Cache IP2SL iTach IP to Serial device. The iTach device allows me to locate the TEMP08 anywhere on my network.

Regards,
    Ultrajones
    Plug-ins: UltraMon, UltraM1G, UltraCID, Ultra1Wire, UltraLog, UltraWeatherBug, UltraPioneerAVR, UltraGCIR

Comment

Working...
    X