Vera sub-forum

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Vera sub-forum

There has been a noticeable influx of Vera users to the board. Given their shared experiences and vocabulary, I think it would be helpful if they had a place on the board to share their experiences and help one another to find ways to replicate functionality from Vera in HS.
    Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________
    HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.548, NUC i3

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF | RFXCOM | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3 | EtherRain | Ubiquiti

I'm now running both in paralel. As a Vera user for many years (Light>normal>edge>plus) I'm struggling a bit to get all things in homeseer as I'm used to in Vera.

Would be cool ff people share their experiences as I assume we are going to the same learning curve.

Few Q's I can't find easy answers to:
    • How about logging variables/device states? Eg of a temp sensor, energy device etc. and then put them in a graph when I want to>> I now use datamine2 for this on Vera. But how does this work in Homeseer?
    • Presence detection: I had several Iphone locaters running + router detection for my Android devices. A had a vertical device in Vera that would hold the statuses. How should I replicate this in Homeseer? Can I do this all with PHLocation (which I have running and testing with at least 1 Iphone). Any tips?
    • Vera Alerts; I guess most of you are using PushOver 3P?
    • BlueIris; I only used the BI plugin in Vera to create triggers for e.g. lights that shoudl go on in the garden. What is the best way to replicate these HTTP type commands that used to flip the status a 'virtual multiswitch' in Vera (is there even an equivalent of the multiswitch?)
    • Imperihome; I have noticed there is a plugin but did not play with it yet. Any experiences/tips people would like to share in the context of migrating from Vera?
    • What is the Homeseer alternative of the 'normal' virtual switch?
    • Can't find a plugin for my Yamaha receiver
    • Can't find a good solution for my Opentherm Gateway (there is a Vera plgin for this)
    • NEW; I now have a few plug ins and devices in my Homeseer configuration (prepping for the real migration which I will only do when all basics are covered) but i notice that the 'home screen' is super full due to the huge amount of child devices and the not so effective use of real estate. How do you manage this if you want to quickly access a device or plugin via the interface?

Any tips/tricks to make migration smoother are highly appreciated!
    Last edited by tyfoon; June 11, 2016, 03:52 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by tyfoon View Post
      I'm now running both in paralel. As a Vera user for many years (Light>normal>edge>plus) I'm struggling a bit to get all things in homeseer as I'm used to in Vera.

Would be cool ff people share their experiences as I assume we are going to the same learning curve.

Few Q's I can't find easy answers to:
      • How about logging variables/device states? Eg of a temp sensor, energy device etc. and then put them in a graph when I want to>> I now use datamine2 for this on Vera. But how does this work in Homeseer?
      • Presence detection: I had several Iphone locaters running + router detection for my Android devices. A had a vertical device in Vera that would hold the statuses. How should I replicate this in Homeseer? Can I do this all with PHLocation (which I have running and testing with at least 1 Iphone). Any tips?
      • Vera Alerts; I guess most of you are using PushOver 3P?
      • BlueIris; I only used the BI plugin in Vera to create triggers for e.g. lights that shoudl go on in the garden. What is the best way to replicate these HTTP type commands that used to flip the status a 'virtual multiswitch' in Vera (is there even an equivalent of the multiswitch?)
      • Imperihome; I have noticed there is a plugin but did not play with it yet. Any experiences/tips people would like to share in the context of migrating from Vera?
      • What is the Homeseer alternative of the 'normal' virtual switch?
      • Can't find a plugin for my Yamaha receiver
      • Can't find a good solution for my Opentherm Gateway (there is a Vera plgin for this)

Any tips/tricks to make migration smoother are highly appreciated!
      Atleast 3 or more of your questions involve virtual switches or multi-switch which is a virtual switch. So maybe starting there will solve half your problems. YES there is virtual switches and they are easier and better then in VERA.

Virtual devices are created without the use of a plugin and very easy in homeseer. Click on View, Device management, click the green PLUS in the top right corner and a virtual device is made. You can then click on it and adjust its icons or what ever your going to use it for.
      I use BLLAN plugin for pinging andriods and use tasker to flip one of the virtual switches I have made on and off.

I use Blueiris just like I did in vera. I use Http commands to to trigger virtual motions and "EVENTS" or what vera would call a scene to change profiles from home day, home night, away day and away night to match my recording and sensitivity needs. I don't use the blueiris plugin in Homeseer nor did I in VERA either.

Dont use Yahmaha or OpenTherm and I don't graph logs so can;t help much with those. But basic logging is built in under View, then Log drop down from the top. I understand it unlike VERA's and I can choose my log size (which on a windows PC with tons of HD space I can store for ever)

Comment

I put together a thorough explanation of creating and modifying Virtual Devices here:

http://board.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=181973

They can be binary, multi value, multilevel devices. They can be controlled or simply display status. They can be used as global variables or string display. Using them gives you orders of magnitude more power and flexibility.
        HS4 Pro, 4.2.19.0 Windows 10 pro, Supermicro LP Xeon

Comment

Many people come from other platforms or are entirely new to HA all together. Maybe a new to HomeSeer forum? Not that there aren't enough forums already.
          Originally posted by rprade
          There is no rhyme or reason to the anarchy a defective Z-Wave device can cause

Comment

Thanks for your info.

Originally posted by integlikewhoa View Post
            Dont use Yahmaha or OpenTherm and I don't graph logs so can;t help much with those. But basic logging is built in under View, then Log drop down from the top. I understand it unlike VERA's and I can choose my log size (which on a windows PC with tons of HD space I can store for ever)
            I ment more logging of e.g. a temp sensor over time so I can track the sensor over time.

Comment

Originally posted by tyfoon View Post
              Thanks for your info.

I ment more logging of e.g. a temp sensor over time so I can track the sensor over time.
              Jon00's Database Charting Utility will do everything you need.

http://board.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=171875

I especially like the addition of digraph as an option on dynamically created charts.

Shill's Device History plug-in will also track device values and generate charts.

http://board.homeseer.com/forumdisplay.php?f=1274

I've used 'em both and they will give you a great means of capturing and storin historical data.
              HS4 Pro, 4.2.19.0 Windows 10 pro, Supermicro LP Xeon

Comment

Originally posted by S-F View Post
                Many people come from other platforms or are entirely new to HA all together. Maybe a new to HomeSeer forum?
                That's a good idea, too. I was just noticing how the recent Vera users were focused on replicating Vera solutions - using Vera jargon to describe what they want to do - and I was thinking something more like a users group, but a 'reforming users' group in this case, would let former Vera users help one another with the transition and introduce newer members into the much broader universe of possibilities available with HS.
                Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF | RFXCOM | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3 | EtherRain | Ubiquiti

Comment

Originally posted by rprade View Post
                  Jon00's Database Charting Utility will do everything you need.
                  Shill's Device History plug-in will also track device values and generate charts.
                  Jon00's DVGraphing utility is also an option. It doesn't offer flashy charting, but it can generate basic time-based plots, and has the option to create a file of historical data, both without much fuss or overhead.

Comment

Adding to this as an ex Vera user.
                    I also use imperihome, at least until I have time to master hstouch designer.

Imperihome works just as well if with hs3.
                    The reaction times are however much faster.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

The title of this thread put me off a little but I liked the idea of it and created a forum to handle migration questions for all system... and then tucked this thread into it. These questions come up all the time... might as well have a forum to organize them better.
                      💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Mark,
                        Sorry about my choice of title. I see what you mean as I re-read it. In any case, the quick response was a pleasant surprise, given that it's a weekend and so many at HST have been enjoying a well-deserved break. Thanks for looking at my suggestion in spit of the wording.

Comment

For the record I am conversant with Vera jargon (or at least I was a fe w years ago) and am more than willing to field questions. Any x Vera users, please feel free to reach out to me!
                          Originally posted by rprade
                          There is no rhyme or reason to the anarchy a defective Z-Wave device can cause

Comment

Why would anyone want to replicate anything from Vera? Don't you want it to actually work?!?

Comment

The only thing worth replicating is home, Away, Night, Vacation buttons.
                              I do this with one device.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X