Open and close garage door with location and motion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Open and close garage door with location and motion

I had a member ask me to share my events to control the garage door with events based on location, iBeacon (vehicle) and motion. Since it is difficult to embed images in a PM and thinking it would be better to share the discussion I am putting it in this thread. These events are based on vehicles and drivers, so these two are for me on my motorcycle. The first event is the open by motion event, which opens the garage door when I arrive home.

Click image for larger version

Name:	GTOpen.PNG
Views:	1
Size:	54.2 KB
ID:	1210578

The trigger is with motion. I have two driveway motion sensors which set a virtual occupancy for the driveway if either of them are triggered. The motion sensors are dual mode - PIR and microwave, with a very short range. They never trip by vehicles going by on the street or people walking by, but one will always trip when a person or vehicle gets more than 10 feet up the driveway or about 15 feet from the door. They are at a sharp downward angle under the eaves. After the trigger is met, the first condition makes sure it is within 2 minutes of entering the GeoFency fence. I start a timer when the home fence becomes near. The second condition makes sure that the iBeacon shows me on the motorcycle. The third condition is a virtual device that can disable the event. The fourth condition makes sure the door has been closed for 5 minutes, just as a check that it won't open the door again prematurely. The fifth condition is my home fence. If the event triggers and all of the conditions are met, the door will open.

Sometimes (rarely) there is enough delay in fence reporting that I trigger motion before GeoFency reports I am home, so I made another event that is the inverse of the first that is triggered by the fence, uses motion as a condition along with all of the other conditions except the timer, since this event is triggered by the fence reporting I am home.

Name:	GTOpen1.PNG
Size:	51.6 KB
ID:	1210579

The third event will close the door if I leave on the motorcycle.

Name:	GTclose.PNG
Size:	44.0 KB
ID:	1210580

It is triggered by my leaving the home fence. The conditions make sure I am on the motorcycle, that the door is open and that automatic garage door control is enabled. My garage door closes automatically after 15 minutes by design, but this event will close it when I am about 4 houses away.

My wife does not drive the motorcycle, so the events are centered around my GeoFency reports. I have similar events for my wife's scooter, which only she rides and the two cars. The car events accommodate either my wife's or my iBeacon and home fences. The virtual devices that inhibit the events from running are vehicle specific so I can enable/disable any vehicle.

Hopefully this makes sense.
    Last edited by randy; February 13, 2017, 11:50 PM.
    HS4 Pro, 4.2.19.0 Windows 10 pro, Supermicro LP Xeon

This is a fantastic write up. Thanks for sharing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Thanks for sharing Randy, always wanted to know how you did this.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
      HS4 4.2.6.0 &HSTouch Designer 3.0.80
      Plugin's:
      BLBackup, BLOccupied, BLShutdown, EasyTrigger, Ecobee, Nest, AK Bond
      EnvisaLink DSC, PHLocation, Pushover, SONOS, Blue Iris, UltraRachio3,
      weatherXML, Jon00 Alexa Helper, Network Monitor, MyQ, Z-Wave

Comment

Working...
      X