X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help Request re Zee 2 System

Hello. This is my first post.

I trialled HS3 for about 2 weeks on a Windows 10 laptop with the Insteon plug-in, using an Insteon Hub 2242-522, and a combination of new Insteon devices and older X10 devices.

The trial setup worked very well, except that I couldn't get the system to boot up after an outage without human intervention, which somewhat defeated the purpose of the system, e.g. when away from home for a while.

I decided to take the plunge and ordered a Zee 2 system and it has been working well for a few days, but I am getting an increasing number of crashes of the Insteon plug-in. The Plug-In Management page asks me to check the interface port settings and restart HS, but the port settings are correct. I can disabled the plug-in and run the Windows version with the same settings and it works fine.

Sometimes, I get a lot of errors in the log file, which refer to a error log file specifically for the Insteon plug-in. I have logged into the "linux Tools" but can't navigate to the directory specified. I don't have any experience with Linux but I did use Unix for a while about 25 years ago, but I am very rusty. However, just using cd and pwd commands I can't change the working directory displayed by the linux tools from /usr/local/HomeSeer

After the Insteon plug-in crashes, disabled and reanabling it has no effect, nor does remotely restarting the Zee from the web interface. Cycling the power to the Zee usually restarts it Ok, but the "up time" before the next crash seems to be only a matter of minutes. A few days ago, the Zee was running for 24-48 hours with no problems.

I have about 12 X10 devices, mainly LD11 dimmers which have been installed and working for about 11 years (previously with CM15A interface).
    I have 5 Insteon LED bulbs, and 3 Insteon Micro Dimmers, as well as 3 motion sensors and 4 8-button mini remotes.

I am controlling both Insteon and X10 devices via the Insteon Hub, a the sole interface. I am not using the Zwave interface which came with the Zee - the plug-in is disabled.

Over the last few days I have been adding more events (currently numbering about 50) but not overly complex, I think.

I will try to gather logs and other information.

Richard,

welcome to the forum. I should be able to help you resolve this issue.

the insteon log files should be in the homeseer\config folder. but I can't help you navigate there. I'm not familiar with the Zee 2. Check one of the other forums for this. Once you get the log files, please post only the latest one.

can you tell me if the zee 2 and the hub are on the same local lan?
    Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5
    Hardware: Insteon Serial PLM | AD2USB for Vista Alarm | HAI Omnistat2 | 1-Wire HA7E | RFXrec433 | Dahua Cameras | LiftMaster Internet Gateway | Tuya Smart Plugs
    Plugins: Insteon (mine) | Vista Alarm (mine) | Omnistat 3 | Ultra1Wire3 | RFXCOM | HS MyQ | BLRadar | BLDenon | Tuya | Jon00 Charting | Jon00 Links
    Platform: Windows Server 2022 Standard, i5-12600K/3.7GHz/10 core, 16GB RAM, 500GB SSD

Comment

Thanks Mark

Yes, the Insteon Hub and Zee are on the same LAN. Both are wired connections. I am not using the WiFi option on the Zee.

After numerous power cycles of the Zee yesterday, it did reestablish connection to the Hub and is has been continuously up for for approx 18 hours now.

Everything has been working correctly, although there have been a few "SetIOMulti" errors as per the attached screenshot of the log.

The HomeSeer log did capture some errors during failed startup attempts yesterday. I have attached a screenshot of that too.

I will continue my efforts into retrieving the log files from the Zee.
      Attached Files

Comment

ok. just post the log file once you get it
        Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5
        Hardware: Insteon Serial PLM | AD2USB for Vista Alarm | HAI Omnistat2 | 1-Wire HA7E | RFXrec433 | Dahua Cameras | LiftMaster Internet Gateway | Tuya Smart Plugs
        Plugins: Insteon (mine) | Vista Alarm (mine) | Omnistat 3 | Ultra1Wire3 | RFXCOM | HS MyQ | BLRadar | BLDenon | Tuya | Jon00 Charting | Jon00 Links
        Platform: Windows Server 2022 Standard, i5-12600K/3.7GHz/10 core, 16GB RAM, 500GB SSD

Comment

Originally posted by mnsandler View Post
          ok. just post the log file once you get it
          Hello Mark

There are a lot of similar log files from 11 March. The most recent one is attached.

I used Putty and PSFTP to transfer the file using "get" command. The spaces in the filename were a problem, so I had to copy the file first to a new name without spaces. All new to me.

Comment

the log file didn't get posted. please upload again.
            Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5

Comment

OK. The log file was too big - about 1.5 MB.
              I have attached the first part. I hope that provides some clues.
              Attached Files

Comment

OK. The log file was too big - about 1.5 MB.
                I have attached the first part. I hope that provides some clues.
                I have also attached the end of the file, in case that better indicate the problem.
                Attached Files

Comment

you might try slowing down the polling of the hub. add the following to the insteon.ini and restart the plugin
                  [hub]
                  GetXMLBufferInterval=1000
                  1000 msecs is the default; try 2000
                  Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5

Comment

Thanks. I will give that a try.

I found an Insteon.ini file (with upper case "I") in the /usr/local/HomeSeer/Config directory but it didn't contain the GetXMLBufferInterval parameter.

Do I have the correct file and location?

I have attached the Insteon.ini file (saved as a txt file so it could be attached)
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by Richard Stallard; March 17, 2017, 07:48 AM.

Comment

That's the correct file. Just add both lines to the very bottom and change 1000 to 2000
                      Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5

Comment

OK. I have done the changes. I will see how it goes and let you know.
                        Thanks for your help.

Comment

Further Update:

No good news to report. I added the suggested polling parameters but it seems to have been worse since. I was away over the weekend, and the system crashed several times. I was able to restart it remotely, by virtue of feeding the power to the Zee via an on/off relay module controllable independently via the Insteon iPad app.

Just now, I have removed the additional polling parameters, given that things eemed to be worse after they were added

Earlier this evening, the Insteon plug-in failed at 18:01 but, for the first time I have seen, restarted itself. It crashed again at 18:33. See attached screenshots of HomeSeer error log.

I extracted the last hour or so of the Insteon plugin log file - also attached.

Also, and more worrying, is that the log files have used up the remaining storage capacity of the Zee. The log files totalled 2.8G. I deleted a bunch of them from 11 March, a day when there were lots of problems, and these alone totalled 1.1G. Each log file is 2-3 MB.
                          Attached Files

Comment

can you disable the x10 option within the plugin and see how it goes for a few days.
                            Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5

Comment

Thanks Mark. I will give that a try and report back.

Comment

Working...
                              X